JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Mastercollector Quarterly Exclusive news: Pictures now up  (Read 11101 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Mastercollector Quarterly Exclusive news: Pictures now up
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:49:18 PM »

Some guys might be out of the loop.

MC Newsletter wrote:    

We now have a name for our quarterly 3 3/4” exclusives: Operation: Flaming M.O.T.H.

Last month we told you that the story is an homage to the cartoon episodes “Satellite Down” and “Revenge of Cobra”. In other words, it will have elements from both stories but we will not follow the direct story line from either episode.

In THIS story, COBRA has knocked the top-secret M.O.T.H. satellite out of orbit. This military satellite was a top-secret laser defense platform that had the potential to disrupt COBRA operations worldwide.

Desiring this technology for themselves, COBRA was able to pull the not yet operational M.O.T.H. out of orbit. In order that no one get their hands on this new technology, the satellite was programmed to break into four primary components that would be spread around the globe should it depart from its orbital plane. Now the race is on. Who will get to the pieces first? Joe? Cobra? Only you will know.

Each of the four figure sets will have a story that takes place in a particular quadrant of the globe. The debut set that is scheduled toward the end of the first quarter is the Jungle Theatre story, which includes the following two figures: Jungle Night Viper and Jungle Frag Viper. Both characters will be new versions of these two favorite vintage figures. They will come in a telescoping box like the convention set, but these boxes will be 6” x 6”. When you put all 4 of the figure sets boxes together, they will make one scene depicting the entire story! I hope you are getting excited about these club exclusives. We will bring you more information next month!

I Can't wait to see pictures and to see how this turns out.  But these figures won't be cheap either.

EDIT: Pictures are up now

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:02:29 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »

I already left Brian a reply about this on the MC board. he had said that there were to be no army builders and the first 2 figures we hear about are army builders. To quote the Hurrican "What up with that?" (stupid WWE killing off that persona)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:37:21 PM »

How can you have something called flaming moth and not release brawler in it? It's unthinkable.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:29:21 AM »

I don't understand why a bunch of people one certain message board, which will go nameless, are making a huge deal of these being army builders and the boxes they come in.  So they were not suppose to be army builders at first.  Can't Savage change his mind without people jumping all over him? 10 bucks says Brian Savage realized that having no army builders was a mistake in terms of breaking even and making a profit.  Sales for the 12" exclusives like this are doing real bad according to the newsletter.  

As for the boxes.....are most people in the GI JOE community really this cheap to pay an extra 8 each bucks for a box or whatever the cost is? Geesh.  It's like not buying coffee for a week or getting a pizza with that coin.  

Savage's mistake was not keeping this information (such as no army builder comment) under wraps until the time was right to issue a statement in the newsletter.  So why are people getting bent all of shape for?  Most of bitching and whining is basically coming from the same people that bitch and whine about the cost of the convention exclusives....and they are not even members of the mastercollector club.  What a shocker!!!  Nothing will make them happy.  You want cheap figures without giving a crap about the package, then go buy freaking funskool figures.  

I am planning on get one 2 pack each quarter regardless of what figures they were.  All the negativity surrounded this has cheesed me off, I rather get some decent figures then getting no figures at all.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

You know, I left a comment at the MC board that I was surprised that they were army builders directly to Brian, but I didn't lay into him as others have.

I understand why some people are upset with the boxes, but I'm not that bothered by it. I realize anything from the MC group is expensive (including membership).  

I have found myself bitting my tongue a couple of times over the negativity from a certain message board that Pete has made reference to. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

Granted yeah, I thought they were not suppose to be army builders but there is always the possibility that something happened in the last few weeks where the molds he told were O.K. to use were not available or damaged once they tried to use them. There are a few possibilities on what might have happened to change the line up but we will never know.

My greatest fear is that they will cost $50.00 a set, but we have no idea what they are going to cost. The only way I guess it's going to be around $50.00 is the average price MC sells their exclusive figures is $20.00 each, plus $8.00 for the Mech box, so I think it is safe to say that will be about the same price, so we're looking at $48.00. If that is the price then I dread all the noise that will make.

I think the best way Brian can make the collectors happy is to change the characters names and make them team leaders (Skullbuster anyone?).

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:30:50 AM »

Pete,
I totally agree with your sentiment. That's why I choose to remain silent and not post anything on the other boards. I read the whole thread and it just ticks me off. It seems poeple just want to complain just for the sake of complaining or are just ignorant to a lot of facts. Though everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just wish people were more informed/educated before postings some of the stuff they do. The truth is many people don't understand the process/time/costs that go into making figures.

Big whoop, there's armybuilders in the sets. I know Brian said there wouldn't be, but heck I'm sure if it was a Duke vs CC 2 pack, the same people would still be complaining that we are getting another Duke and CC in another paint scheme. And from MC's point of view, they don't want to be stuck with a s*** load of them. So if they can unload a few more to those who can/will armybuild them, great. No one is pointing a gun to anyone's head forcing everyone to armybuild them or even get one set. I don't understand why people freak out that they can't get like 15 of them or feel they are entitled to get them cheap. Someone posting that if they can't get a few to armybuild they won't at all, just stupid. If it's out of your budget, don't get it. That simple. Those that say they are completist, that's your fault. No one forces them to collect every single thing.

Heck if MC didn't do this, we wouldn't be getting these ARAH sculpts at all. MC has used a lot of molds that Hasbro has never even considered and never will. Sure Hasbro has been doing the comic packs, but they just seem to be repaints of molds we seen over and over again. Some with new heads and others just straight repaints. Do I really need another Tunnel Rat, Duke, Flint because of a new head? That's up to the customer. Does this mean I should kiss MC's ass just for doing this? Heck no. If I don't like the product or can't afford it, I just won't purchase it.  

People complaining that the figs are too expensive compared to Hasbro just don't understand the economics of it all.  

I think mogardee stated, maybe some molds were unavailable, so they went to plan B. Who really knows, I mean maybe they just don't have that many molds to choose from anymore. Maybe some are being used for next years con set. If they used 8 molds of individual characters that have been used in the last few years, everyone is going to cry fowl that we are getting ripped off with repaints (which is what Hasbro is doing with the comic packs but no one is complaining). Sure it's more expensive, but these are collectibles and aren't meant for everyone.

My only complaint is that I would have preferred 1 joe and 1 cobra per set. It just seems weird to have 2 cobras. Does this mean that another set will have 2 joes or all 4 sets be cobras? If I don't like the set, I just won't purchase it. If I do I'll probably pick one up, but won't be complaining if I don't.

Also that we have to pay higher membership fees, the duties and shipping hurts. I can only imagine what a set will come out to.

Sorry for the long rant, I hope I made it clear.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 01:59:04 AM »

Testify brother.  I agree 100% what you posted there Madman.  Same people bitching for the sake of bitching every time MC puts out something. Sooner or later, I tune out and did. I don't give a shit about non MC members complaining about something they have not paid a single penny to join up and support.  It's like voting, if you don't vote, then don't complain who is in power. Well if they provide a cheaper product and yadda, yadda, yadda, they still wouldn't join up.  8 bucks is like the end of the world to some.  Imagine forking over 30 bucks to them.  Good lord, it's the end of the universe.   :lol:  So are Dave, Madman, Bryce etc. idiots for joining up at MC?

Who knows, these 8 figures may tie into the 2006 convention set.  That would make the process even better for me. It would be hard to put off a story with just 8 guys.  So I never rule out anything.  The one Cobra and one Joe would have made more sence but it's not my call.  And Dave had a point, the figures could have been team leaders.  But even then that wouldn't silence the whiners.  Nothing will, including the day when Savage throws in the towel.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »

The people who are complaining are missing the point of these exclusives.  They are limited number collectables (hence the box) not ment for troop building.  If people want troop builders wait for the 6 packs and pay less.  MC's exclusives are expensive because they are produced in such a limited quantity and cost more to manufacture.  Serious collectors will pay the extra for an exclusive.  The other guys are right and working for a golf club, all day I get people who complain just for the sake of complaining and half the time they say it behind your back.  If you don't like it (or the price)don't buy it.  Morg I know what your are trying to say and you went about it the right way.
The people who bash things on the other boards are too chicken to ask the source what gives.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 01:02:52 PM »

I second what Realboss said!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »

Yeah, I gave up on posting on the other boards thread. I said my piece and that was it. I was starting to get into a debate with another member and if I didn't walk away from the thread it would probably go on for a while with both of us just repeating ourselves. Besides that, our debate had left the range of G.I.Joe and was starting to break down to definitions of what a word meant. At that point it no longer about pros vs cons of the issue.

Anyhow, on different note it was suggested on the MC board by Brian that he could make a bag a 50 joes with one colour and sell it for $100.00. This was probably more of an off hand joke, but some people started to say they would buy them (me one of them  :shifty: ) so now it's changed to maybe $3.00 a figure. A couple of us are still saying if it were a blank slate then it would work as a base for customs. So 33 Blank Figures (all white) for $100.00. I doubt anything will come from this, but it's a neat idea none the less.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 03:56:13 PM by Guest »

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 02:24:04 PM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
Anyhow, on different note it was suggested on the MC board by Brian he could make a bag a 50 joes with one colour and sell it for $100.00. this was probably more of an off hand joke, but some people started to say they would buy that (me one of them  :shifty: ) so now it's changed to maybe $3.00 a figure. A couple of us are still saying if it where a blank slate then it would work as a base for customs. So 33 Blank Figures (all white) for $100.00. I doubt anything will come from this, but it's a neat idea none the less.

I would totally buy that. No question. I'd even join the club for something like that.

- Raps

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 02:26:59 PM »

You know, if he also put out a sticker sheet of clear stickered cobra patches with it, it'd sell like mad.

If you get a chance, suggest that the head not have visable eyes on in because as we all know, they are a cast iron bitch to paint.

- Raps