JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: FANatical day of speed painting, paint balling  (Read 6716 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
FANatical day of speed painting, paint balling
« on: November 11, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »

For those that don't know, a TV show on TVTropolis called FANatical has been looking into doing an episode of FANatical about the GI Joe community. I've been talking with them, and apperantly there's interest in using me for the episode.

For more information on the show, read this thread:
http://http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1438&highlight=fanatical

The ideas been brought up that we recreate the Speed Painting competition from the Montreal Joe Meet, and that we enjoy a game of paint ball together afterwards.

Anyone interested, let me know. The semi-solid date being considered is the weekend of December 15th.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:10:12 AM »

Are they going to pay for the activities?
If so, I'm definitely in.

If not, I might still be in.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:36:11 AM »

I doubt they would.
When I was talking to them when they wanted me for the episode, they had a 'budget' and a 'time-line' to do the episode.  It's kinda sad in my opinion that Ryan now has to 're-create' the mini-meet he had.  I mean NO disrespect to Ryan on this, but when I was talking to Jen, I got the feeling that no one tied to that show really gives a crap about any of our hobbies. It's all about making a buck and getting some ratings.  Otherwise, they wouldn't need Ryan, and they'd be coming to the Canadian Joe Meet - OR better still to the actual Joe Convention in the U.S.

I"ve stopped watching the show now since it comes across that the producers and everyone involved in it has no interest in what they're filming.

As I said, no disrespect to Ryan  (you should know that without me even saying it!) ;-)

I'm just glad that this is no way has me involved now.

Still.... if you wanna get a plug to JoeCanuck feel free. ;-) LOL!
Mike

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »

You trying to disrespect me or something?  ;)

I do admit, it's thrown me off how stuck on the paintball idea they are, considering I've told them I'm not into GI Joe for the military aspects, and that I've never paintballed in my life. No word on who foots the bill, but I have sent an e-mail about it.
Updated!

beekerzz24

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:38:06 AM »

I'm in for the paintball! I play it all the time and would love to play with you guys. I highly doubt they would cover the fees for playing PB like Mike said, as its not the cheapest sport to get into. Renting the equipment aint cheap either. But on the other side of things I've never painted any custom joe, so it would probably look like a nusery school kid did it!!!

Beeker

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""
I do admit, it's thrown me off how stuck on the paintball idea they are, considering I've told them I'm not into GI Joe for the military aspects, and that I've never paintballed in my life.

....and this is why I stopped replying to her.

You need to weigh what is more inportant to you.
Being on TV as a focus of a little known show, or respecting the hobby you're in.

I'm not saying you don't respect it because you'll be on the show, I'm saying that with them 'telling' you what you'll be doing in the show - it isn't true to you or your collecting.  Sure, you get a plug for what you do for a living, but it also makes you out to be a guy that collects toys and shoots friends for fun.

I wish you luck with it Ryan. I'm just SO glad the focus isn't on me anymore. :-) Plus.... I'm not sure if I would of wanted them at the Joe Meet now that I've talked to them.
Mike

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 12:14:43 PM »

I paintballed once, in September IIRC. Wasn't all that fun, but if someone else is paying I'll do it again. :P

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »

Paintball?
What because we collect GiJoe we're supposed to be militaria fanatics too?
Maybe they'll ask that you wear camo pants for the interview as well lol.
Say no to AFA.

beekerzz24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »

Being a Joe collector and a paintball scenario junkie, I agree there is no connection between the two. I have been playing PB alot longer then collecting Joes. One is a hobby and one is a sport. I enjoy both. If they are doing a show on GI Joe fans, then they should stick to the program. Paintball should be another show.  Paintball is always fun to play, unless your the newbie, playing with us veterans with fully automatic guns. I enjoy the planning, tactics and rush of the game, but Gi Joes are the last thing on my mind. I guess i fit mike's comment about being a toy collector and shoots friends and family for fun. I can't help it, I'll blame my redneck roots. Paintball isn't for everyone. They should keep the two separate.

Beeker

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »

I guess they want to try and show how we "lose ourselves in our hobby" to the point that we do paintball just to be able to yell "Yo Joe!" and pretend to shoot at Cobras.

Seriously, the more I look at Mike's experience in dealing with these people, the less enthusiastic I am about this thing actually happening. The only thing getting me interested in participating is the prospect of making another neat custom like when I did Cougar.

beekerzz24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 05:17:38 PM »

I'd say the the bottom line is, the media will manipulate anything for ratings. Who knows what twist they would add to the paintball thing after editing.  I have never watched the show, so i could'nt say for sure. When is this show on anyway? Time? Channel?

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:54:29 PM »

I still have a perma-bruise from taking a 1200 fps paintball in the gut from 2 feet away.

As I was laying on the ground crying like a baby, the guy who shot me was telling me that I was hit with the equiv of a 22 cal rubber bullet. He mentioned that I might want to get checked for internal bleeding. He seemed very proud.

So I don't play it any more. I was there in a tshirt and jeans, and the team we played against was in full tac gear and had throat mikes and a "battle co-ordinator". Some people are just too into it to make it fun for the beginner.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"