JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Joe Meet 2007 : Official Information  (Read 26604 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Joe Meet 2007 : Official Information
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:16:02 PM »

Doing this one REALLY early gang!

When:
Saturday, April 14th 2007
From 10:30am to 5:30pm

Where:
Barton Stone United Church
21 Stone Church Rd W

(at the corner of Upper James St.)
Hamilton, ON

It's actually in the building next to the Church. You would of figured it out when you got to the Joe Meet - but just in case I thought I should mention it.

For a Map of the location:  Click Here

Admission:
There will be an admission of either $3.00 per person. (Ages 10 and up). With your admission, you will be given one 'ballot' ticket to be entered in the door prize draws that will take place throughout the day. (Additional tickets will also be available @ $1.00 each).

Exclusive:
There WILL once again be an exclusive figure for the meet this year.
The cost for the figure will be $25.00. He will include accessories, a file card, and will also include your admission to the meet!
I will post more information on it in it's 'own' thread at a later date.

[/i][/u]
Now I'm still working it out, but I'll need some help from people on here this year. Overseeing it 'All' was a pain in the butt for me last year, and while you guys all had a great time - I couldn't enjoy myself as much as I would of liked.

Here's some events I'd like to do, but I'll need some people to oversee them if they're going to happen:

Speed Painting Contest:
Scrambles 'Montreal Meet' was the birthplace of this event. People have requested it, and with Scrambles permission, we can make it a yearly even at the Canadian Joe Meet as well. I'll admit, I don't know much about it, so if Scramble or Raptor are interested in overseeing it, please LMK - and please give me a write up to replace everything I just wrote. :-)

Custom Contest
People are allowed to submit ONE custom figure for this contest and bring it to the meet. The figure submitted needs to be a newly created custom for the 'contest' only and should be made specifically for the Joe Meet. In other words, the figure you submit should not of been seen by people before. Ballots and ballot boxes will be set up at each persons custom, so people could 'rate' it out of 10.  The person with the highest amount of votes will win a door prize. (Not a lame one either!) I'll announce a thread where people can 'sign up' for this event with a better guideline and such. Space will be limited for this contest, so I may only allow 10 people or so to enter. We'll see how it goes once I post the info.

G.I. Joe Wrestling
It's now a mainstay at the Canadian Joe Meet! Since it was such a huge success and enjoyed by all in the last few years, G.I. Joe will battle Cobra in the wrestling ring again! I will be making all the characters this year, but  you are welcome to create and bring your own as well. It will be decided at the meet if your created wrestler will be permitted in the tournament). PLEASE bring your OWN PS2 controller. We'll have a few extras on hand, but there may not be enough to cover everyone! As per last years event, we will once again have the 'King of the Joe Ring' tournament. The winner will have the honor of being the 2007 Joe Canuck Champion, and take home their very own trophy. (It's real.... it's big!)

G.I. Joe : TCG

There will be a few tables set up for those interested in playing the G.I. Joe card game this year - AS long as we have someone to run it. I'm looking for someone to 'oversee' it, so please PM me if you'd like to help.

Custom Displays:
People from this and other G.I. Joe message boards will be bringing some of their custom work to have on display. They'll be there to answer any questions you may have, and to share tips on creating customs and maybe even donating some as door prizes. There will be a ?customizing table? available as well where you can share parts and learn to create a custom on the spot!

Door Prizes:
There will once again be door prizes given away throughout the day. You MUST be in attendance to claim your prize. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Dealers:
There will be Joes for sale once again at the Canadian Joe Meet. Unlike the last few Joe Meets, I will be allowing people with non-G.I. Joe items to set up and sell at this years event. A quick search of the message board here and it's obvious that we all collect more than 'Just Joes'. So I thought it only fair to give you guys a better selection of items to purchase this time around. It shouldn't effect the Canadian Joe Meet in any way as I will do my best to ensure that each dealer brings Joe Items as well. If you would like to 'set up' a table at the Meet, please PM me. I don't have the store to cover "things" legally anymore, so these forms are mandatory for anyone wishing to sell at the Canadian Joe Meet. Any questions, please email me.

Trading:
Once again you'll be allowed to trade items at the meet. However, NO selling of items (unless you're a dealer set up) will be permitted. I can not stress this fact enough. If you are caught selling ANYTHING at the meet - regardless who you are, you will be asked to leave the meet immediately.
It's not fair to those who have paid  table space fees for the exclusive rights to sell at the meet, therefore please respect this one request and do not sell items unless you've paid a table fee. Please read above if you are interested in renting a table.

Dio-Displays
If you're interested in setting up a Dio-Display, please email me for more information. I will only be allowing a few people to use an entire table to set up their display. While this is completely free, you must still fill out a Vendors agreement above.

Food / Drink:

If you get hungry, or wish to have a drink, there are many locations within walking distance of the Canadian Joe Meet location that should satisfy you. Due to my leasing agreement for the day, we are not permitted to use the on-site kitchen.

The locations for food/drink near the Joe Meet are as follows:
Tim Hortons
Harveys
Swiss Chalet
East Side Marios
Licks Burgers
Burger King
Chans Buffet
KFC
Second Cup
Gas Station Variety Store

As always, Timbits and Pepperettes will be available for free at the meet.
(Pepperettes donated by Springers Meats)

I think I've covered all bases. If you need information on some local hotels, there are two that come to mind: Airport Inn on Upper James in Hamilton, and the Marriot on Upper James as well. Marriot kinda screwed us out of using their hall, so I'd vote for Airport Inn myself. They're both extremely close to the meet, and they are equally close to the Hamilton airport.

I may update this thread again with more events or news.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to post them in this thread, or email them to me at http://www.joecanuck.com/mail.html

Thanks everyone.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:07:19 PM by Anonymous »

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »

I had an idea for a "play table" where people can set up their Joes and just mess around. (don't worry, I'll pay for the table and sell some of my old Joes)

I'll "oversee" that so you don't have to worry about two guys getting into a fistfight after accidentally breaking their Joes.

"You broke the crotch of my Beach Head figure!"

"Serves you right for taking him out of his AFA graded collectible box!"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »

We'll have tables set up like always for people to sit, chat, and 'play' if they wish. I don't see a need for another 'section' at the meet for a 'playing' area myself.... anyone else?

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »

I'm looking forward to speed painting. Are we allowed to bring our own paints?

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:16 PM »

Quote from: ""Agent_Loop""
I'm looking forward to speed painting. Are we allowed to bring our own paints?

Don't know.

I'm waiting for someone to PM me to take care of it.  I don't know the first thing on how it would work either... what?... Are you given 10 seconds to paint eyes before being given 30 seconds to paint a torso? ;-)
Mike

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
We'll have tables set up like always for people to sit, chat, and 'play' if they wish. I don't see a need for another 'section' at the meet for a 'playing' area myself.... anyone else?

Okay. Saves me $15.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 09:16:45 AM »

I would be interested in bringing my Men and Thier Toys prototype board game, but I'm not sure if it's logistically worth fitting it in the car and transporting it. How long before I have to get back to you on that?
Updated!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:06 AM »

I'll do the PM on the speed painting thing. Bringing your own paints and brushes will be highly encouraged. If you don't, you get to use 20 year old citadel (which is surprisingly good) and Apple Barrel clone stuff from walmart for paint, and 10 for a buck brushes from Dollarama...

Also, I reccomend that you bring your own AOL cd to use to get your dabs of paint on. We'll likely not have enough paint containers to go around.

I would run it, save that I want to be IN it. I just need a week or so for my world to calm down so that I can focus on organizing it.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Muskrat88

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/canada_gi
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
I reccomend that you bring your own AOL cd to use to get your dabs of paint on.

I guess all of those free AOL cd's are somewhat useful afterall

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »

Will there be a non-attending way to purchase a Meet figure this year for members of Joecanuck. I would be interested in buying one, but not from ebay. A bit like they do for the collectors club convention...
Say no to AFA.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 02:08:21 PM »

Quote from: ""Redmao""
Will there be a non-attending way to purchase a Meet figure this year for members of Joecanuck. I would be interested in buying one, but not from ebay. A bit like they do for the collectors club convention...

At the present time, I'll have to say no.

The figure is meant to be something of a momento for the event-filled day. (And the dinner at night - if you attend).

One figure will be held back again this year for ebay, but other than that, you'll have to be there to get one.  Other have said it's worth the 5 hour drive to the Meet. Just ask Scramble - he's been there since day 2. Only a select few have been there since day one - myself, Raptor and Pete.
- Mike

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 02:28:23 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
Other have said it's worth the 5 hour drive to the Meet. Just ask Scramble

I don't know what kind of rocket car you think I drive, Mike, because I haven't made it in less than 7 hours yet.

My first year, I made a huge planning mistake and was dropped off the bus in Toronto at 3:00am, with no hotel reservations, and no local friends. I managed to waste twelve hours walking around at night before meeting up with Pete for a lift to Hamilton. And even after that hectic and lonely morning, the meet was totally worth it. It's gotten better every year, and inspired me to hold the Montreal meet.

Trust me, Red. Make the trip.
Updated!