JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Comic Licence  (Read 3017 times)

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Comic Licence
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »

I have been looking anywhere for news on who is getting the comic licence.  All I know for sure is that DDP is wrapping up their run.  I get the distinct feeling that we may see a hiatus until the movie comes out as a launching point for a number of Joe related media (comic, games, etc.).  Maybe Hasbro is trying to re-link Hama to the project.  Hopefully the Meet attendees can ask what he knows.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Licence
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »

My wild ass guess? THey're positioning it to go back to marvel in time for the movie in 2009. The reasons?

- They are going to do a full blitz of marketing around the movie, and need a bigger distributer than the small houses that they have been working with.
- They are already in bed with marvel on the legends figures, so they don't want to get into conflict.
- Marvel has a bigger promotion resume, and knows video game licensing, and movie making promotion better.
- And the franchise started with marvel, so it won't be hard to generate a lot of huge buzz, if they take it back to marvel, and get larry penning it again.
toys. 

On the face of it, it's a logical move, but who knows if it's the move that they'll make.
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Devilfish

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

I suspect that Marvel may be gearing up for two comics.  One as Raptor suggested to tie in with the movie and another to tie in with the inevitable new cartoon that we'll get. 

Lt Storm

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://canadaseliteheadquarters.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »

I heard IDW got the joe llicence.  Though no one over there has officially confirmed it.  They are the same ones who do the Transformers comics currently.
When life gives you lemons...trade them in for oranges, they are much better for you.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

Doesn't matter to me who picks up the ball and runs with it.  I probably won't read it.  DD turned me off. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »

Quote from: "Lt Storm"
I heard IDW got the joe llicence. 

From what I read that is mostly common speculation based on them holding the Transformers licence. 

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »

I read that Hasbro has reacquired the worldwide distribution rights to Sunbow Hasbro cartoons.

This is a possible sign for the comic as well.  They might want to have the media rights and do their own distribution tied with the movie.  Larry could be writing the comic directly for Hasbro.  Helps remove the middle man.  Most comic shops seem to be carrying some level of collectible toys these days.  Maybe this streamlines the distribution.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »

When I talked to Larry Hama at the meet he said "besides the 15 comics he wrote for Hasbro (comic packs) he wasn't writing anymore at that moment but there were other big surprises in the works that he was directly involved with".  But, he was also writing a Gijoe type military comic for Devils Due.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:53 PM »

Looks like IDW gets the licence.  I was not a big fan of their GI Joe Transformers crossover.  I am hoping for a new vision that I can get into.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »

Sounds like IDW is hinting at involving Larry Hama with the new GI Joe licence.  It sounds hopeful.