JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Toys R Us Exclusive VIPER 5 Pack Pics  (Read 3887 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Toys R Us Exclusive VIPER 5 Pack Pics
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

Thanks to TNI, ACTToys and their boardmember Winter God for the images.

File Cards

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us Exclusive VIPER 5 Pack Pics
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »

Ack so many figures with those...hands. I'd still buy this if it shows up in Canadian TRU for $30 just to have a row of Vipers and I do love the Mercer. He was my favorite of the renegades, I'd like to see a remake of his original figure too.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

I love this set - however those damn viper hands!!!  Love the Mercer character. and great file card.

I would pick up two of these sets, if they ever made it to Canada, if not, I will only get it if I can find it in the states at retail.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

I'll buy a set, but just one. I'm pretty much done with army building.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »

Quote from: "akpayne"
I would pick up two of these sets, if they ever made it to Canada, if not, I will only get it if I can find it in the states at retail.
Ditto on that ak! The hands don't bug me enough to not buy it!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »

Sadly, if I find them at TRU at a $20 price point, I will buy one or possibly multiples and figure out a way to modify the wrists.

I bought piles of the RAH viper 6 packs, and modified every neck and crotch. I did it with the 25th Crimson Guard pack, and I didn't even really love the CG mold.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »

I love it.  The Viper hands do what they have to.  Pose them correctly and they hold their rifles in a great looking way.
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:15:59 AM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
I love it.  The Viper hands do what they have to.  Pose them correctly and they hold their rifles in a great looking way.

Unfortunately that's about all they CAN do, which ultimately makes the hands useless (like Roadblock's wide grip left hand or CC's closed fist).  It's a one trick pony.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »

I just wish the used the Viper from the new pack pack with the fixed wrist and chrome face plate.

Aside from that it's a good set.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
I just wish the used the Viper from the new pack pack with the fixed wrist and chrome face plate.

Aside from that it's a good set.

And this is why it won't sell. Heck the viper 6 pack warmed shelves, and could have sworn it would have been a huge success. It was all due to a structural defect in the toy (in the case of the 6 pack, the waist and neck) that prevented the toy from doing anything but standing stock still in formation.

If all the figure can do is hold a rifle in a particular way, and looks good posed in only a single stance, it's a statue, not an action figure. And this unfortunately will kill the sales of this pack, because people know that there is an improved one coming down the line, or just don't care enough about an inaction figure to buy a lot of them.

It's an ooopsie, but I have to believe that these are just protos, and the real ones will have the fixed wrists.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »

Quote from: "Raptor"

If all the figure can do is hold a rifle in a particular way, and looks good posed in only a single stance, it's a statue, not an action figure. And this unfortunately will kill the sales of this pack, because people know that there is an improved one coming down the line, or just don't care enough about an inaction figure to buy a lot of them.

The improved Viper will be in a 5 pack costing just as much as this set.  Hence, it will be very hard for people to army build the new improved version at 25-30 bucks a pop.  Case in point, I want to army building the DVD Cobra Troopers but I am not paying full price for a set to get one figure. 

Besides Mercer, this set would have been great provided if the rest of the helmets come off the figures.  At lease make these Vipers stick out from the single and comic pack ones.  I feel really burned right now by Hasbro considering I already have 10 single pack Vipers.   Same goes for the Crimson Guards.   It seems that there is no point army building single pack figures as Hasbro will make a 5 pack down the road.  I suspect the B.A.T.s will follow the same route.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »

The reality is, this set is a day late and a dollar short - and if TRU Canada makes the mistake of getting it from the States, I think it will suffer the same fate as their previous TRU 5-packs.

I've been to two TRU's in the last few days and they are chalk full of the FF/Greenshirts and CG packs, the stock just isn't moving (and this is after the xmas holidays when everyone was buying LCD TVs from Best Buy like it was going out of fashion!). 

For the better part of 2007 single carded Vipers with the "wrist defect" (IMO) have warmed Canadian pegs.  I personally bought 5 and traded them all away, it was that bad.  And this figure was highly disappointing because I think everyone was looking forward to the 25th Anniversary Viper.

The Cobra Legends 5-pack is the Viper to get, and he'll be helluva expensive on the secondary market too!  I think the reason why they went with the old mold was because this stuff is in the pipeline for months in advance so it was too late to do the pack with the newly retooled Viper.