JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Speculation: Target Exclusives Coming to Canada??? -- Speculating Again!  (Read 7823 times)

Storm.Shadow

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile

I was looking at some images of the Wal~Mart exclusives battle station and noticed the print on the back of the packaging.

Note the "Hasbro Canada" and the presence of some French.  Is this proof these are coming to Canadian stores?  I for one certainly hope so.  It'd be great to be able to get this things without any hassle.

Edit:  On second thought...maybe not.  I looked at the Wal~Mart exclusive Transformers I picked up recently and they have almost everything in both languages, which this picture does not show.  Also, the Hasbro Canada bit is on all American packaging as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:26:16 PM by Storm.Shadow »

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation: Wal~Mart Exclusives Coming to Canada???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:51:10 PM »

Sorry to get your hopes down, but all the single figs and vehicles on US cards have that. I think it's for trademark purposes and not a sign of them coming to canada.

I really hope we end up seeing the TRU, Target, WM exclusives up here but I'm not holding my breathe.

The bbq and firefly figs have been available at US TRUs for a while now and no sign of them up here...so it's not looking to bright.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
Re: Speculation: Wal~Mart Exclusives Coming to Canada???
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »

Ya I just noticed that.  I guess I was grasping at straws.  Ah well...you never know.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation: Wal~Mart Exclusives Coming to Canada??? -- Nevermind
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »

They can come to Canada for reimbursement or trade via me if they are common enough (most exclusives so far have been here in the US).

I know I am a new member and as such probably not trusted very well yet, but I have already found a Pit Commando and Agent Helix (among other things) for a board member that we are working out a trade for.  I will complete the trade with him and then let you guys ask HIM how I was to deal with  ;D

I have no problem picking up exclusives and sending them to you guys that can't get them.  All I ask in return is either straight reimbursment or a fair trade.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I have no problem picking up exclusives and sending them to you guys that can't get them.  All I ask in return is either straight reimbursment or a fair trade.

That's good to know!

Martin

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

Wal-mart in Canada has carried many of their exclusives, just look in the music department, many of the releases are WM-only. They also get DVD exclusives among other things, so let us be positive about the possibility of toy exclusives until we know for sure we are screwed out of them.

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »

OK, how about this picture of the Target exclusives:

These certainly look destined for Canadian shelves.

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile

I'm guessing they'll show up at Zellers like the Tiger Rat and Python Conquest have.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile

These exclusives are being billed as International exclusives.  So, I think we should be seeing them.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile

Quote from: "Realboss"
These exclusives are being billed as International exclusives.  So, I think we should be seeing them.

Yes... and no.

What that means is that these are being made AVAILABLE internationally.

It's still up to the individual retailers to order the product. Just because we CAN get it, doesn't mean we will. It all goes back to how well the existing stuff is selling, and therefore how excited the retailers are at getting more.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
Re: Speculation: Target Exclusives Coming to Canada??? -- Speculating Again!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

I wish Hasbro would let us know when a Canadian retailer has signed up for an exclusive.  I would gladly use the money I spend on shipping (to bring it in from the US), to buy even more of the exclusives.  I know I'm beating a dead horse but if you really want something you have to bring it in from the US yourself.  Then if a Canadian store does pick up an exclusive the market has already dried up and they don't sell very well.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat....

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
Re: Speculation: Target Exclusives Coming to Canada??? -- Speculating Again!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »

I just wish that TRU and especially Zellers would get their heads out of their asses and start realizing that they are screwing themselves when it comes to exclusives.

The track record as far as they know (with Joes, and TF's) is that if they get an exclusive item, they bring it in as they have the stock and room at stores, and then they sit on the shelves.

If they would bother to read the complaints logged on their websites, talk to the people in their stores, or just look at the release dates Hasbro publishes, They should realize that they are stocking their shelves anywhere from weeks to months after these items are released in the States.

Sure, if this was the case a few years ago, it wouldn't matter as mail-order options and fan groups who would buy for others was hardly an issue that would effect their bottom line. However this is 2009, not 1989 and the need to start realizing that the fans are in easy, constant contact with the fans (or resellers) grabbing them from TRUUS/Target to be sent up here.

I'll use the example of the Transformers Animated Target Exclusives (1 Voyager class, 1 Activator class) for this point. Target started selling them in March ($30us I believe), and by April had them on sale (including a mistake where they were at $4.99us). By May I was tired of waiting and bought them both on Ebay for less than $30us each. Zellers finally had them in stores in Late June I believe, and for the low price of $49.99 Canadian or for sale at $39.99.

I would imagine that there is a fairly similar story with the Tiger Rat and Python Conquest.

Gee Zellers rep, of course it's taking a long time to sell them, All the worried fans already bought them (for less) so you are stuck selling to casual collectors, parents, and people taking the chance you'll put them on clear out as you'll have stock for ages.

Simple solution, Hasbro when you sign the agreement with these stores do the fans a favor and not only release their stock at the same time, but put it in their contracts to have them on shelves here at the same time. I can understand sitting on some stock until the other sells thru but for so called exclusives, have enough pride in your products to push your retailers to get the stuff out. Or else this sad story will continue, the store will say "well we brought your stuff in and we can't sell it" and decide not to carry them. I'm sorry, but you don't need to be a economics major to see that this is a bad way to try and sell products let alone build your brands. 

That said and done, Got my Bench Press in the mail yesterday, Great figure. One less figure that TRU Canada will be able to sell if they ever get them.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia