JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe Resolute on DVD November 3rd  (Read 4740 times)

Storm.Shadow

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Resolute on DVD November 3rd
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »

Thanks to a listing @ Amazon.ca it looks like the Resolute series will be available November 3rd.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Resolute on DVD November 3rd
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

I'll buy that. Much cooler than I thought it would be really.

Silverhawk

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »

Definitely getting a copy of this.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:34:07 AM »

I'm going to skip it now, I hope this dvd gets packaged in some kind of set of figures in the future. Just looking at how many dvd's of the old stuff are available. (I don't need the Mass Device for a third time) and I'm going to wait. I'm sure Hasbro will revisit Resolute.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »

Quote from: "B"
I'm going to skip it now, I hope this dvd gets packaged in some kind of set of figures in the future. Just looking at how many dvd's of the old stuff are available. (I don't need the Mass Device for a third time) and I'm going to wait. I'm sure Hasbro will revisit Resolute.

You make a very valid point.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »

Meh, I got a hi-res TV in of it on my laptop in case I want to watch it again.  If they released it with figures, maybe.  But by itself, I would not pay for that rickroll.
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Meh, I got a hi-res TV in of it on my laptop in case I want to watch it again.  If they released it with figures, maybe.  But by itself, I would not pay for that rickroll.
Rickroll?
How so?
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Rickroll?
How so?
In that they tricked/mislead us.  We were told we'd get a gritty, dark, realistic Joe story with blood, deaths, etc. and no crap like lasers, parachutes, and the like. 

The first few parts of Resolute were very strong, but ultimately, it fell apart as it progressed.  It degenerated into the same crap we got in the 80's cartoon: characters shooting and no one getting hit, weak characterization, bad guys' lack of marksmanship, jetpacks, and surprise surprise, lasers and parachutes.  Plus, they threw in the non-canon I-know-it's-from-the-80s-cartoon-but-that-got-it-wrong-too Duke/Scarlett relationship thing. 

Combine that with Duke usurping leadership from Hawk [where was he, anyway?  In Washington getting chewed by the Jugglers?] and making a very non-Joe decision: "We kill Cobra Commander."  Wait, what?  Maybe you should check with your superior officer, Hauser, before issuing an order like that and then blowing up nice little American town like Springfield.  I'm sure Washington was thrilled.

Sure, there were some good elements.  The new Cobra Commander was very badass, and Zartan was cool too, despite the clich?d "monologue instead of pulling the trigger" deal, and Snake-Eyes' and Storm Shadow's scene was fantastic.  The redesigns were for the most part good, the animation was too, and it was really nice to see a bunch of old characters updated, even if it was just for a cameo [plus, seeing Zap's bazooka in the Armoury right before the Flagg was bombed made me smile].  I still hoped that they would have snuck in my favourite Joe greasemonkey.  Maybe when Wild Bill's talking about preparing the vehicles, we could have seen a bearded guy fixing up a VAMP.

Despite the good intentions, Resolute, at least to me, felt like a fan service that ran out of steam, like they went into the project without a solid plan and ultimate dropped the ball because of that.  Needless elements like the "technofuture" gadgets [jetpacks, "supersonic transports," huge command room inside the boat, the sci-fi story involving a doomsday device that unleashes  "Independence Day"-like death, the satellite scene, etc.] made me cringe (is modern army equipment not cool enough?), the characterization was terrible in some parts [Scarlett was just awful], and the lack of an ending was inexcusable.  Also, airing it once at midnight without much advertising if any really didn't help in attracting attention to it.

All in all, Resolute was a nice albeit half-assed fanservice that fell flat.  I guess they wanted to give fans something to keep them quiet before the so-called "G.I. Joe movie" crapstorm hit.

Rant over.  Hate me, ban me, do what you want.  I'm just trying to give Jay an answer to his question. ;D

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »

THANK YOU.

I feel the exact same way. Although I hated Zartan because of the clich? "I like killing I like killing I like killing I got shot" speech that you seemed to enjoy.

But yeah, I don't get all the adoration Resolute got. In my view, in terms of storytelling, it ties with DiC and the direct-to-video CGI movies as the worst of GIJoe.
Sure, the animation was great and the redesigns looked badass... but that doesn't mean diddly if the story is crap.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »

Hmmm. I never saw it that way before. I can see your point of view. I don't share it, but I see where you are coming from. At the end of the day I liked it but that's not to say you don't raise some vaild points.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »

I enjoyed it. obviously your not going to appeal to every fan, but on a whole I think it fit pretty well together.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
THANK YOU.

I feel the exact same way. Although I hated Zartan because of the clich? "I like killing I like killing I like killing I got shot" speech that you seemed to enjoy.
Oh, I did NOT like his 'lulz, i tlk instd of shotting oh gnoes i dead' moment.  He was very cool up until that moment, though!