JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Visiting Montréal  (Read 10281 times)

meertoh

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Visiting Montréal
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »

Hi,

I'm visiting friends in Montréal for the first week of April, and will be staying on Nuns Island.

Could any of you please recommend anywhere nearby that stocks Joes or  :timbits:

Thanks,
Martin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Montréal
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »

Yes.

You may want to try visiting Legends, Toy Wars, Toys on Fire.

I am not really familliar with the prices and selections at Toys on Fire but you can always call before going. Here's their contact info. These are stops for collectors so the prices are higher in most cases than what you find in Walmarts. I ommitted mentionning stores that carry a very small amount of Joes such as Capitain Québec, since I believe you might have limited time and distance to cover the map. Anyway, just google the addresses and you're on your way.

Legends Action Figures

7378, Rue Saint-Hubert,
Montreal, QC H2R 2N3
514-277-1867  

Toy Wars

5535, boulevard Decarie,
Montreal, QC H3W 3C7
514-544-8969

Toys on Fire

1539, avenue Van Horne,
Outremont, QC H2V 1L4
514-948-2627

EDIT: Oh, and I hope you have a great time in Montreal! By the way, the stores I mentionned are on the Montreal Island, and you're going to be on Nun's Island which is going towards the South Shore. I think there is a big Toys R Us in Brossard, but I can't say more than that. That area is out my league. But we have a few Southerners on board who can give you a few directions to a store nearby that I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:22:23 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

Hey, meertoh!  Hope you have a good time in Montreal!  I recommend going to Toy Wars for Joes and avoiding Legends and Toy Wars unless you want to disappointed/owned by scalpers.

On the South Shore, there's a TRU in Brossard.  From the Bonaventure bus terminus, take the RTL bus line #45 to Panama.  When you reach Panama, you'll see the TRU across the intersection.  Cross the street twice to get there.  There's not much there right now, so I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to get here unless you're particularly looking for the Para-Viper repaint or that dog handler dude.
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »

Nun's Island is in Verdun, isn't it?
That's sorta close to the Angrignon Mall, which has a Sears and a Zellers, along with a Toys'r'us right next to it and a Wal-Mart on its opposite side.
Selection isn't too great but since I don't know what you already have, you might find something you didn't have before.

Otherwise, Toy Wars. They have a great Joe selection, both vintage and modern.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Hey, meertoh!  Hope you have a good time in Montreal!  I recommend going to Toy Wars for Joes and avoiding Legends and Toy Wars unless you want to disappointed/owned by scalpers.

I will simply add that Toy Wars is perhaps the best spot to stop by for Joes. It carries a great inventory of loose and carded gi joe figures, both old and new. Not only a lot of the ROC stuff, but also as much 25th anniversary stuff if you missed out on those. If Toy Wars has something that the other stores don't have in Montreal, it's a lot of 80's carded gi joe figures, and I mean about 30-40 figures from 1984-1994.

Legends is a much bigger place and therefore it has a bigger amount of carded 25th/ROC stuff. But I won't stipulate too quickly that that means more variety. It depends what you're looking for and the pricetag that goes with it as always. For the loose new stuff, it's not as specialized as Toy Wars but it has a wide variety of other toylines (He-man, Transformers, McFarlane, vintage, 90's toys, etc). So if you're looking for something else in addition to Gi joe, this could be also an ideal stop.

Oh, in all three Toy stores that I mentionned, the employees speak english if that can be helpful.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
Nun's Island is in Verdun, isn't it?
That's sorta close to the Angrignon Mall, which has a Sears and a Zellers, along with a Toys'r'us right next to it and a Wal-Mart on its opposite side.
Selection isn't too great but since I don't know what you already have, you might find something you didn't have before.

Otherwise, Toy Wars. They have a great Joe selection, both vintage and modern.

[s:1d1av661]You are somewhat correct but it is not part of the district of Verdun.[/s:1d1av661]

EDIT: You are correct Jay. And knowing the other half of Verdun, is half the battle.  ;D LJ22 sucks...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&source=hp&q=%C3%AEle%20des%20soeurs&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:47:39 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

meertoh

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

Thanks a million for the info, guys!
I'll try to get to them all.
I'm really looking forward to my visit, it's only two weeks away now!

Is there any sights you could recommend?

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »

Quote from: "meertoh"
Thanks a million for the info, guys!
I'll try to get to them all.
I'm really looking forward to my visit, it's only two weeks away now!

Is there any sights you could recommend?

Hope you have a great time!

Some sights that are pretty cool (though might not be open this time of year) are the Olympic Park area (Olympic Stadium, Biodome, Botanical Gardens), the Old Port, Mount Royal...  Oh, and you'd better be sure to stop by a Montreal Deli before you leave!  Reuben's, and Dunn's come to mind, but I know there are more! ;D

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »

Biodome and Botanical garden, St-Joseph's Oratory, Montreal City Hall, the Montreal Forum (now known as the Pepsi Forum), the Planetarium, Ile Sainte-Hélène in general, the Old Port, Old Montreal...
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
Biodome and Botanical garden, St-Joseph's Oratory, Montreal City Hall, the Montreal Forum (now known as the Pepsi Forum), the Planetarium, Ile Sainte-Hélène in general, the Old Port, Old Montreal...

For the ultimate urban underground shopping experience ( especially useful if the Lady comes along ):

Underground Montreal located parallel to St.Catherine Street, main commercial artery in Downtown Montreal, connected to several Metro subway stations.
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
For the ultimate urban underground shopping experience ( especially useful if the Lady comes along ):

Underground Montreal located parallel to St.Catherine Street, main commercial artery in Downtown Montreal, connected to several Metro subway stations.
Just watch out.  That underground shopping area is massive, consists of multiple malls, and is easy to get lost in, but it's also damn cool!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Quote from: "latinjoe22"

Just watch out.  That underground shopping area is massive, consists of multiple malls, and is easy to get lost in, but it's also damn cool!

I disagree. There are is a significant amount of directional signage inside anyway. All you have to do is know which mall you're in, to find out which mall you want to head to. Also each mall has its own architectural experience, colors, materials, distinquishable finishes, storefront standards.

Plus, there is enough security staff and information booth, as well as mall key plans you can refer to. So first thing to do is go to the closest information booth usually located at the street level floor of any mall, and pick-up a pocket map of the entire underground Montreal plan with you , and you won't wind up lost, I can garantee. 
2 + 2 = 22