JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: A Montreal Joe Meet...a simple wish?  (Read 8583 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
A Montreal Joe Meet...a simple wish?
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

I mean to break the ice. Whenever the Can Joe Con is around, many of us bring up the idea of wishing to see a Canadian Joe Meet in Montreal. But is it that simple?

• A convention, a meet, is it all the same to you?
  • How do you personnaly feel about the possibility of a Meet in Montreal?
  • Do you think that Montreal is ready to host such an event?
  • Are you ready?
  • If from outside of Montreal, what did you like of this city?
  • If from outside of Montreal, would you travel to attend a Meet there?
  • How big of a meet do you feel it should be?
  • Do you feel that a Montreal Meet would mean having exclusive meet figures?
  • What local resources do we have? 
  • What are your expectations of a meet?
  • What good elements from the past Montreal meet would you recommend to build on?
  • Would you say a meet in Montreal would be different of a meet in Hamilton?
  • etc?

Post your ideas here! This is just meant as a brainstorming thread, not an official survey of any kind. And who knows, perhaps this is something that we can all look back at someday for some good suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: A Montreal Joe Meet...a simple wish?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »

• A convention, a meet, is it all the same to you?
Not the same
  • How do you personnaly feel about the possibility of a Meet in Montreal?
Love the idea
  • Do you think that Montreal is ready to host such an event?
Why Not?
  • Are you ready?
I'm ready, the wife maybe not
  • If from outside of Montreal, what did you like of this city?
The Food
  • If from outside of Montreal, would you travel to attend a Meet there?
Me Yes, Wife ... No
  • How big of a meet do you feel it should be?
The more the better
  • Do you feel that a Montreal Meet would mean having exclusive meet figures?
No...but a RoC Neo-Viper painted blue with a fleur-de-lis on the chest would be a good idea
  • What local resources do we have?
Not Me
  • What are your expectations of a meet?
To have a great time and meet new and old friends
  • What good elements from the past Montreal meet would you recommend to build on?
Never been to one
  • Would you say a meet in Montreal would be different of a meet in Hamilton?
Never been to one
  • etc?
No Comment
Lurking

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
a RoC Neo-Viper painted blue with a fleur-de-lis on the chest would be a good idea[/b]

... and I replaced the Fleur-de-lys by Cobra symbol on my avatar :lol:

Answers are coming soon... but I love the idea!

Martin

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »

•A convention, a meet, is it all the same to you?
Not the same. Meet = small, simple ; Convention = large, more preparation.
•How do you personnaly feel about the possibility of a Meet in Montreal?
Love the idea.
•Do you think that Montreal is ready to host such an event?
Yes.
•Are you ready?
Sure.
•How big of a meet do you feel it should be?
I suggest we keep it simple. Anyone who wants to attend (basicly anyone ready to make to trip) is welcome.
•Do you feel that a Montreal Meet would mean having exclusive meet figures?
Personally, I love the idea of the blue Neo Viper.
•What are your expectations of a meet?
To meet some fellow Joe fans and have a great time.
•What good elements from the past Montreal meet would you recommend to build on?
I've never been to any of the past meets, how many have there been? How many of us have already met in person?

OB

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »

I ran a couple of Montreal GI Joe Meets about five years ago, and although they were fun, I think I had larger scale expectations. I would love to attend another one, but I think we need to keep in mind that this kind of thing needs to start small and grow. Start with a meet, maybe in a store like Legends or Toys on Fire, and see where it goes from there.
Updated!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
I ran a couple of Montreal GI Joe Meets about five years ago, and although they were fun, I think I had larger scale expectations. I would love to attend another one, but I think we need to keep in mind that this kind of thing needs to start small and grow. Start with a meet, maybe in a store like Legends or Toys on Fire, and see where it goes from there.

That is very good imput for us to reflect on. Interesting enough, Oreobuilder who also never went to a Meet before, shares a similar opinion to what Scramble is telling us.

Probably one of my first instances when I think of "Meet" is it is not a Convention at its very fundament. The Meet should be no more than a gathering of friends, old and new, who just love Gi joe. Anything else might defy the purpose of it. Casting aside everything that makes it as complex as a convention (heavy organization, rent of space, dealers, even convention exclusives, door prizes, guests, you name it), you can still have a Meet.

By the way, the questions I posted up there are meant to generate some reflexion. They are not part of some kind of question form, as I didn't mean it to be that way. This is a brainstorming thread. So please, do not hesitate to think on what can be outside of the box for a minute. Any idea counts, even the ones we might think lame. So don't be afraid to let your mind speak for itself!  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:04:19 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

Prince de Lu

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Hi, just to give my 2 cents...

A meet could be a good idea. A convention is a lot of organization and a lot of involvement. If a remember the 2 SW conventions that we had in 1999, just before ep1, it was a lot of fun but i'm not sure it was that great of a success for the organizers. Sure we had the chance to meet some actors and gather with other SW geeks ;-), but I think that we would get a better response if we could start/merge with the toycon of comic con. Having those two events in Montreal twice a year could help us build something that could grow.

Otherwise, meeting in a toy store could be a start but is kind of very very small if we want "non-fans" to know about the meet. In an organized event we could surf on the publicity.

what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:53:34 PM by Prince de Lu »

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
For the Store idea, I'm going to suggest Toy Wars.  The guy who works there is a Joe fan and real friendly, and the shop has a nice little area with sofas and a table.  It's also near a Metro station and a highway.
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »

Quote from: "Prince de Lu"
Hi, just to give my 2 cents...

A meet could be a good idea. A convention is a lot of organization and a lot of involvement. If a remember the 2 SW conventions that we had in 1999, just before ep1, it was a lot of fun but i'm not sure it was that great of a success for the organizers. Sure we had the chance to meet some actors and gather with other SW geeks ;-), but I think that we would get a better response if we could start/merge with the toycon of comic con. Having those two events in Montreal twice a year could help us build something that could grow.

Otherwise, meeting in a toy store could be a start but is kind of very very small if we want "non-fans" to know about the meet. In an organized event we could surf on the publicity.

what do you think?

Maybe a couple of enthusiasts like ourselves could dress up as Joes at those events and spread the word about Joecanuck at the same time to the attendees. I mean, it's kind of what the 501st does already, no?
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
For the Store idea, I'm going to suggest Toy Wars.  The guy who works there is a Joe fan and real friendly, and the shop has a nice little area with sofas and a table.  It's also near a Metro station and a highway.

Joe fan, yes. Although he can't confortably dicern figures beyond 1990 without having to refer to a guide  ;D. He's also a great Star Wars fan, and his store reflects his taste for both lines. Asking the owner should be feasible since he's a nice guy. Not sure, If he'll say yes though, it is his space after all.

Furthermore, his store is relatively small and 20 persons in there will make look even like an overpopulated 1 and a half.  It would also be important to take note that the occupant load at all times must not be exceed about 25 persons according to the national building code (oh shit, that's the architect talking again!  :lol:)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:06:24 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »

I meant to add that Toy Wars is small, perhaps small enough for a small Joe Meet  :) down the road...
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »

Quote from: "Prince de Lu"

I think it is safe to think of a small Meet as something that could be compared to a private wedding: you'd only invite your family and close friends. in this case, the board members themselves. A Facebook page for this?

It wouldn't be to discriminate those that we don't know. Eventually everyone would be invited when the Meet would be ready to grow. Much like a long term investment and planning.

There would be many good and practical reasons at this time to opt for a small meet: more interaction, less of everything that could complicate it, giving time for the Meet to grow ...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:27:46 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22