JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: DC Comics Reboot  (Read 3502 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
DC Comics Reboot
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »

I have been thinking about this one since the news (http://http://www.comicbookdaily.com/wp/daily_news/dc-universe-reboot/) came out on Tuesday.

DC Comics is planning to reboot the DC Universe.  All the comics will start reset their numbering to #1, starting with Justice League #1.

Personally I think it is an interesting venture, but it is like another Crisis storyline, and if it is not successful the DC Universe will revert back to it's current form.

That... and I hope they don't mess with Batman, it is a pretty solid comic book right now.

How does everybody feel about this?

Do you read DC?  Are you a Marvel fan?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: DC Comics Reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

I'm a Marvel. and i have to say, all due respect to DC. i think it's a freaking stupid idea. especially after the way they just changed up the Bat-books with Batman Inc.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
I'm a Marvel. and i have to say, all due respect to DC. i think it's a freaking stupid idea. especially after the way they just changed up the Bat-books with Batman Inc.

I second that..

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

I can see why they would want to do this, but I don't know if it would work. They would be better off splitting the DC Universe, dropping a bunch of the classic, lower selling titles yet maintain the popular classic titles in a Classic DC Universe. Then, with a reduce classic universe they could launch the new line, revamping everything.

The big down side to what I suggest is the hard core loyal readers will keep the old classic line alive and might not support the new parallel universe in the same numbers, thus making the relaunch fail.

If DC forces them and says "It's a relaunch or nothing" then guys that love DC will buy the new line (possibly reluctantly) and DC can say "hey, look at our numbers. It's a success!"

Well have to wait and see.

But didn't Marvel revive Captain America after a while? I don't recall a reboot working before.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

Captain America 'died' and came back, same as Bats at DC. (similar stories too, shot by magic bullets which sent them back in time. Cap only went through his past life, Bats went all through history.)

the only successful reboot is Marvel's Ultimate line, which co-exists alongside regular continuity. they are a seperate universe where the heroes/villains are appearing in the 21st century and its all mobile phones, post-Iraq politics and genetic tampering not mad radiation craziness giving people powers.

i only read Ultimate Marvel (and Ultimatum sucked the big one) and in collected form. only other comics i read are IDW's trade collections of Classic GI Joe and Joe Special Missions (which are largely new to me owing to the way the comics were reprinted in the UK)
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »

The problem I see with splitting the line, is the same problem Marvel has with the Ultimate universe.  Eventually that new universe becomes too convoluted and it will need to be rebooted as well.

In the 90's, the Marvel line was reset, with new numbering.  It only took a couple years after that, for original numbering to resume, and that's where the Marvel universe sits today.

I can understand why DC would want to reboot their universe, but a good writer can work around continuity issues and character flaws.  Grant Morrison can do it easily for Batman (Ed Brubaker did a great job re-introducing Bucky into the Captain America continuity.  Even Cap himself is a very complicated character, with several versions of the same character).

The new #1's will be interesting to see, when they come out in September, but how long before sales drop and they have to change everything back?

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

A quick-fix never works. The problem is quality.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"

That and the price. They also need to market it to children. Get some comics at Burger King or something.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"

That and the price. They also need to market it to children. Get some comics at Burger King or something.

Kids don't buy comics en masse, and the market has recognized this for almost 20 years now. The problem is that comics don't give good visceral value for a kid's entertainment dollar, compared to something like a video game. That is why mainstream comics today address an adult readership, with often adult themes and stories. There ARE mainstream titles produced directly for kids......but they don't really sell well and they don't see much distribution outside of comic book stores anyways.
The biggest factor is the cover price. With mainstream comics priced at $3-$5 or more for each issue.........there's no incentive to buy them on a regular basis, unless the kid ( or the casual adult reader for that matter) is just gaga about a particular character or title.for the cost of a comic or two that can be read inside of maybe 1/2 hour, a kid can rent his favourite video game from a local game/video store for a week. The kind of immersion a game provides trumps ANY comic, any day.
Gimmicks like a fast-food franchise tie-in......or "free" comic book day are just that..........gimmicks.....and they don't work, except in the very short term, meaning they spike sale only during the offer, and not that widely even then. Again the problem as I understand it is the cover price.
Offering a "free" or cheap 25-cent title is "deceptive" in nature, because the REST of the issues of a given series are NOT those prices...and sticker shock often sets in real fast with the unwary.
I have friends, associates, colleagues who have told me they have not read comic in years, have walked into a comic shop and then walked right out again because they saw that their "usual" stack of comics that they USED to buy 20+ years ago now cost about $60-$75 instead of $20-like they remembered them.

So the audience for comics today isn't growing much, and the mainstream medium isn't offering much expect the traditional ware that feed the staid appetites of comics ageing audience. Its a catch 22--comics won't change because their core dependable readership literally demands the same KIND of stuff year after year, and  readers won't change because comics are too timid to risk really alienating their readership by offering much more than superheroes. The don't buy anything but the same old thing, because that's all that they really see most of the time.

I don't know what the solution is to this. I can see there's no neat/tidy solution and I cannot see comics surviving long-term without some really profound changes happening that will essentially change the physical form of comics. I suspect both a digital broadcast future for comics, and a "boutique" mentality with print comics becoming an almost purely nostalgic gimmick added on to other products. Mainstream comics have already transcended print--they did that years ago as most of their income comes from licensing the characters into other products.

What DC is doing with this reboot is an experiment to see if they can spark more sales with existing readers. I think they are fooling themselves if they think the reboots, redesigns and #1's will entice and hold onto any new readers. I think that all its going to do AT BEST is shuffle some readers from other comics ( other publishers and other titles within DC) in the short-term. The industry has acknowledged this "trend" happening in the past, and I think this is no different now.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »

Heroes Reborn by Marvel - Editor in Chief Bob Harras
DC Reboot EIC - Bob Harras

One of the other huge points in this is that DC is offering same day release of digital.  First month same price, then it drops a buck.  This is significant!

I listen to a fair bit of comic podcasts and most complain sooner or later about lack of space.  In fact, I imagine most of us on this site have too much stuff lying around.  Somehow make digital more tangible (or at least get the consumer to believe this) and they'll get us all.

I'd like to say I am more DC than Marvel, but that is not what my pull list says.  Detective is the best book on the stands,  Batman INC is fine.  All my other faves are Marvel.  I tried to buy more DC at 2.99, but the quality is weak in many of the other books.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

aaronxvx

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »

Sure just pretend like the Green Lantern's  darkest night/brightest day storyline, (which was pretty huge and involved) never happened, but still start a new series called red lantern corps. cool cool cool.
I know some people were down on the whole color spectrum idea from that run, but I think it was actually really cool and gave a lot more depth to the series.
i\'ll bomb your house into the ground missy