JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How much to pay for a complete 1986 Terror Drome?  (Read 7038 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: How much to pay for a complete 1986 Terror Drome?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »

Sounds like an incomplete drome that isn't missing too much and in fair condition is the way to go if I want to spend less than $250. Is Ebay best or should I be looking other places?
Thanks for replying everyone.
I found mine through Kijiji.  I just kept trolling the classified everyday, and I expanded my search range.  I had to drive an hour to get it, but it was definately worth it.  If you are patient you'll find one.... unless you want it now  ;)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

Just posting on here that you want one is a good way to get started, but again patience is key.  I got my USS Flagg thanks to a fellow member of this site who saw one for sale on another board and let me know.  It took convoluted dealings that involved anxious IMs, phone calls, and the help of a Major League baseball player but now it's all mine, and all thanks to dodge822.

Oh yeah, and anyone on here will tell you that Hal, aka Condor Knight, is a great person to deal with.  I've gotten a decent amount of parts and some vehicles from him before, and the deals were well worth getting the stuff shipped from Canada all the way to Texas.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »

I am not sure where you live, but check out local toy shows/conventions.  I haven't been to one in years, but they usually have them in the spring and fall in the Toronto area.

I picked up an incomplete one for $50 bucks years ago. I managed to find most of the parts over the years.  Some of them will cost you a pretty penny.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Torpedo Rob

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »

condor knight, did you get my pm?
I'm new to the site and may have sent it wrong.
Wondering if you know what is missing roughly and if you had pics?

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »

I got your pm will reply
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

Metroflex

• phpBB Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »

The whiteness of any toy shouldn't be an issue any longer with how cheap, easy and effective hydrogen peroxide whitening is. I've restored a Fortress Maximus to bone-white parts as well as removed yellowing from a USS Flagg's grey parts, and everything looks production-line new now. Save yourself a tonne of cash and buy a yellow one, and whiten it yourself.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »

The whiteness of any toy shouldn't be an issue any longer with how cheap, easy and effective hydrogen peroxide whitening is. I've restored a Fortress Maximus to bone-white parts as well as removed yellowing from a USS Flagg's grey parts, and everything looks production-line new now. Save yourself a tonne of cash and buy a yellow one, and whiten it yourself.

I've tried it on a few things with some success as well, but whiteness should absolutely be a factor. 
A) The hassle (especially big things)
B) It discolours other paint (covering parts is impractical and a hassle)
C) People have said it weakens the plastic, and I tend to believe that
D) Ruins stickers on vehicles and playsets (and if you get replacement stickers, cost is again a factor)

I will say that it's true that you can have success whitening things, and it feels great to restore something. That said, I wouldn't bother with a really yellow item, especially a big one, as this hobby has enough time-sinks!
(Sounds like a newsletter point-counterpoint!  ;) )
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Metroflex

• phpBB Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

I don't consider it a hassle. It's actually quite fun restoring something to new-looking condition. I've always been able to disassemble things to the point where I'm only bleaching white parts and nothing else. I haven't seen it weaken any of my plastics, and surprisingly, it hasn't affected any stickers that have been on parts that I've bleached.

I've tried it on a few things with some success as well, but whiteness should absolutely be a factor. 
A) The hassle (especially big things)
B) It discolours other paint (covering parts is impractical and a hassle)
C) People have said it weakens the plastic, and I tend to believe that
D) Ruins stickers on vehicles and playsets (and if you get replacement stickers, cost is again a factor)

I will say that it's true that you can have success whitening things, and it feels great to restore something. That said, I wouldn't bother with a really yellow item, especially a big one, as this hobby has enough time-sinks!
(Sounds like a newsletter point-counterpoint!  ;) )
[/quote]

Torpedo Rob

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »

I keep finding decent dromes on Ebay that could be completed but none that will ship to Canada yet.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »

I don't consider it a hassle. It's actually quite fun restoring something to new-looking condition. I've always been able to disassemble things to the point where I'm only bleaching white parts and nothing else. I haven't seen it weaken any of my plastics, and surprisingly, it hasn't affected any stickers that have been on parts that I've bleached.

The real hassle for me would still be to dissassemble or reassemble a Terrordrome during a whitening process. Lots of tight tabs or pegs that can get damaged, especially if they are already worn out from someone previously swapping parts (from an attempted upgrade). This would require enough dexterity, the right tools in some cases, and some patience. Reassembling can also increase the wear, especially on the parts of the plastic that are already weakened. I do however share your enthusiasm that does help overcome the stresses related to the hobby, as this is also what drives me ahead into finishing a project. I just thought I'd give my too sides of the coin.
2 + 2 = 22