JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures  (Read 19726 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »

And whoever at Hasbro decided to cut down the articulation on the vehicle drivers needs to be taken out back and slapped 50 times.  There have been several times I have bought vehicles mainly for the drivers (see: 30th VAMP among others).  But I'm not spending a dime to get those Happy Meal toys, as Arrow so accurately put it.  And it's a shame, because the driver for the VAMP repaint looks pretty sweet.  Why oh why would you get us spoiled with more and more articulation over the past 5 years and then CUT IT BACK for your major movie line??

Amen, Bruthah!  The 2nd release VAMP's Steel Brigade DELTA driver was the ONLY reason I bought a second POC Vamp--and the figure is largely a re-hash. But that is not really the point is it? It was a cool looking figure AND it was nicely articulated to begin with. Win-win all the way around.
And I'm chewing nails over the fact that the NEW Vamp driver sculpt actually looks like a interesting design......alas, a pity those 5 POAs.

No, a pox upon 5-POAs. >:(

<sigh> I've been vocal on this issue.....and there's other voices out there ( but not here) that seem to be getting tired of it. Its not a personal thing with Hasbro, I acknowledge what they have to do to make a buck. But nothing is going to get me to spend money on these Happy Meal Joes.
And that, folks should be the derisive moniker for these things. ;-D

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

Considering the fact that Hasbro by this time has a very nice catalog of articulated parts to choose from, I find the cut-down on articulation just inexcusable.  Surely it can't be cheaper to make all new molds for the 5 POA figs than it is to reuse the old molds and have more articulation.

I know Hasbro's reasoning is that the majority of vehicles get displayed with their drivers inside anyway, but so what?  Sad that the Joes made in '82 have more articulation than those in '12.

5 POA = POS
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »

Maybe the vehicles will be cheaper as a result?

For a kid, some driver better than no driver.

For an adult, give the driver to a kid.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

I don't have a problem with the limited articulation of the vehicle drivers.  I've been cleaning all my figures and vehicles lately, and I've realized there are a lot of great figures that are stuck in vehicles, and you never get to see them.  I like to keep the drivers that come with a vehicle, to stay with that vehicle, so sometimes these figures are stuck in there and can't be shown off.

If the vehicle comes with a crappy figure, I don't feel bad about him being stuck behind the driver's seat, never to see the light of day.

The other note I read is "a designer" said that people unhappy about the figures could just head swap and make a quick custom.  I might do this.  If Clutch's head (for example) looks too good to be stuck on a crappy figure, I'll just head swap him out and make a decent figure, then put a random head on the old body to make the vehicle driver.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

Maybe the vehicles will be cheaper as a result?

For a kid, some driver better than no driver.

For an adult, give the driver to a kid.

That's where I'm at. Hasbro execs justified that the toys are for kids and articulation isn't important to a kid. I can't relate to that because everything that could move less than a Joe when I was a kid was less than a Joe to me.

On the other hand, I remember going on vacation and getting the Rage and Mobile Battle Bunker on the trip. Neither came with a driver, and it felt like we couldn't do anything with them. Any toy would have enhanced those vehicles on that trip.

If Hasbro has no choice, it's either 5 POA or no driver, I would be much more accepting if the figures were clearly displayed in the box. The combination of figures without articulation and no window display for the first time in years makes the whole thing feel like a bait-and-switch.
Updated!

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

not overly impressed with the new line for the retaliation movie.  a few of the figs look good otherwise the new colours and weapons are kind of reminding me of the when the 80's ARAH went to 90's ARAH. 
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »

Overall, I think the looks of these figures are better than the RoC figures, but I can't tell how much is actually from the movie and how much is just off-screen. But the looks of the line does feel more GI Joe than the RoC stuff. Having said that, taking away articulation is completely counter to what made GI Joe one of the coolest lines of the 80s. For me it was the articulation and all the gear/vehicles. I still feel that way.

Either way, I'll be skipping 99% of it. Partly because I've reached a saturation point in my joe collecting. I just want to fill the holes in the 25th/30th style, so I'll be getting jynx from SDCC, but nothing else is really a priority. Oh and I think there was a night viper. I may pick up a couple ninjas, as they look pretty sweet and I'm a fan of ninjas in the joe universe. Not ninja FORCE, but ninjas. :) But I'll likely do what I did with RoC, wait for clearance and pick up what I like for $3-$5 each.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »

Guys, not pissed off with anyone at all as I respect your different point of views. But by saying that we'd pick up the figures we like (or even don't like) when they do end up on clearance, aren't we talking as if the toyline was doomed even before the general public had a chance to judge for themselves? I'm not talking about wishful thinking here, but maybe, maybe we should save the "victory" dance until and if it actually happens? Don't want to disappoint most of you, but I'm actually hoping that not much will end up on clearance, and that kids and parents will go crazy for the Rock and want to follow his adventures as Roadblock, in plastic form or another. I'm also hoping that the Bruce Willis / Die Hard fan base will be looking for their part of the action. I'm also hoping that fans of martial arts movies will find a common point of interest with the director's take on the Ninja theme. I'm also hoping that the fans of the cancelled Wonderwoman TV pilot will be looking forward to see a Lady Jaye in action.

And for those of you who don't know, I don't collect modern era figures but I did pick up most of the first ROC figures when they first arrived in stores mainly because I actually liked the movie and felt that the movie was actually a celebration in itself. Anyways, just my 2 cents and I just wanted to deliver some positivity and the counterweight to some of the comments I'm reading here.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »

EDIT: Sorry wanted to edit post above and pressed on quote by accident, darn!!!  :-[
2 + 2 = 22

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »

Guys, not pissed off with anyone at all as I respect your different point of views. But by saying that we'd pick up the figures we like (or even don't like) when they do end up on clearance, aren't we talking as if the toyline was doomed even before the general public had a chance to judge for themselves? I'm not talking about wishful thinking here, but maybe, maybe we should save the "victory" dance until and if it actually happens? Don't want to disappoint most of you, but I'm actually hoping that not much will end up on clearance, and that kids and parents will go crazy for the Rock and want to follow his adventures as Roadblock, in plastic form or another. I'm also hoping that the Bruce Willis / Die Hard fan base will be looking for their part of the action. I'm also hoping that fans of martial arts movies will find a common point of interest with the director's take on the Ninja theme. I'm also hoping that the fans of the cancelled Wonderwoman TV pilot will be looking forward to see a Lady Jaye in action.

And for those of you who don't know, I don't collect modern era figures but I did pick up most of the first ROC figures when they first arrived in stores mainly because I actually liked the movie and felt that the movie was actually a celebration in itself. Anyways, just my 2 cents and I just wanted to deliver some positivity and the counterweight to some of the comments I'm reading here.
Oh, make no mistake..........despite my criticisms of some of the toys this time around, I hope the movie and the toy-line does well. I don't wish ill on the brand.
My vocal outburst on this come from my own feelings of disappointment in some of the product, and confusion as to why the politics of the toy marketing industry make what appears to be odd, conflicting dictations about what works and what doesn't when a movie toy-line is involved. My belief is that Pursuit of Cobra was a great template to base GIJOE off of, and a lot of that appears to have been abandoned, yet again, for approaches that didn't work last time. And those Happy Meal Joes........<sigh> Its things like that that have darkened/ diminished what should have been an exciting toy-line.

Its not all negatives, though.

No, rest assured I WILL be buying some of the single carded figures, but I'm going to invoke my righteous finicky traits and cherry-pick as I go. I'll support the line by buying what appeals to me. I'll go see the movie, I'll probably get me a drinking cup, a few movie t-shirts, the Blu-ray when it comes out later on. My own support maybe less/limited compared to someone else, but it'll be there.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »

Consider the upcoming pilots and drivers with 5 points of articulations as retro chic.
Who knows, hipsters might dig these.  ;D

5 PoA driver figure is still better that a sculpted half-driver stuck in the vehicle.
Positivism!
Say no to AFA.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

Consider the upcoming pilots and drivers with 5 points of articulations as retro chic.
Who knows, hipsters might dig these.  ;D

5 PoA driver figure is still better that a sculpted half-driver stuck in the vehicle.
Positivism!

I remain convinced that all those 2004 McD's Valor vs Venom Happy Meal GIJOES traumatized enough children that they all became My Little Pony collectors. ;-P