JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Back from the Joe Convention.  (Read 7102 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Back from the Joe Convention.
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

Awesome time. Traveled with great guys and spoke with lots of great collectors.

But time to unpack and play with my son.  :D
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Back from the Joe Convention.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »

Give more news... please, please, please.

I never went to a US joe con. Would you recommend it?

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

Martin, you should go at least once to experience it.  This was my third one (2004 and 2006 were the other years I went). 

My experience this year: never go unregistered as I did.  Due to the club's web page, I couldn't sign up to register in time.  But I still decided to go down as it was around a 9 hour drive one way from Toronto.  Because of this, I couldn't do anything until on Saturday.  By then, the carded Iceberg, the carded Lady Jaye, the figure two-pack and Steeler were sold out.  Only the Boomer jet was available for purchase, at 145 US without a figure, that was a steal  ::).  In the end, I had to pay scalper prices to get Lady Jaye and the two-pack; Jon S hooked me up with a carded Iceberg at cost. 

Compared to my previous experiences, the line-up for picking up the convention sets went fast.  However, the line-up for buying the extra convention exclusives remains a joke.   Lining up to at least 10 PM with no dinner for most is the joke.  As such, this should have been done on Friday during the day.  Thursday was a travel day for most.   

I tried to go onto the show floor when the doors first opened Saturday morning.  But the club wanted $50 for "early bird" admission, it was $15 if waited until 10 AM.  Sigh.  The sales floor was already opened on the Friday for club members and anything that I would have wanted would been picked over.  So I wasn't going to pay early bird for stuff already picked over by high end collectors and dealers.

As for the sales floor, if you take away the Joecustoms and Declassified booths, the space that the vendors took up couldn't have been more that what I have observed at the past couple Canadian conventions.  It was bigger in the past two club conventions I have gone to.  Plus most of the stuff seemed to be overpriced.     

Mary McDonald-Lewis and/or Bill Ratner would be awesome guests for coming up to Canada.   Mary was just awesome.  Even talked to her about the amount of times I have sworn at her in my car due to Onstar (it's her voice) while in the elevator.  Both laughed over it.

At least I got to see some old faces and some new ones.  That helped to salvage the trip.  Even though I didn't do much convention related events, I did get to enjoy downtown Indianapolis and take in a Triple A ball game. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

Thanks for the info Pete, did you get to talk to Kirk Bazigian?  He was one guy I hope would show up to a Canadian Joe Con, he is such an interesting guy and his no holding back is a breath of fresh air.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »

Thanks for the info Pete, did you get to talk to Kirk Bazigian?  He was one guy I hope would show up to a Canadian Joe Con, he is such an interesting guy and his no holding back is a breath of fresh air.

Never had a chance.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »

Jon S hooked me up with a carded Iceberg at cost. 

*ahem* I also hooked you up with a bagged set at cost! :)

The panels were fantastic. Not unlike what one would see at TFCon. Having Hasbro USA involved instead of Hasbro Canada meant getting to chat with people who have an actual effect on the product that reaches stores. John Warden gave a presentation on the Eaglehawk that showed the amount of attention to detail that he pays to the product. Having people like him involved are a big reason why we've been getting such good stuff ever since the 25th line launched.

I also got a kick out of the cosplayers. This probably ties in to Halloween being one of my favourite holidays.

It was a four day trip that went by really quickly. I would have liked a bit more downtime and a chance to enjoy my haul. I guess I have that now. I'm going to completely redo my Joe display setup at home with Night Force figs.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »

Jon S hooked me up with a carded Iceberg at cost. 

*ahem* I also hooked you up with a bagged set at cost! :)

True.  But I didn't have to go to the sales floor to buy it.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »

Thursday:

Pete and Jon picked came by my house just after 8:30, we hit the road about 8:45 and got to our hotel around dinner time.
Jon and I went to get in the 7:00 line to pick up our stuff. That wasn't bad. I had to go back in line again because I was picking up a set for Bryce and for some reason they split my pick up times and the second pickup was 8:00. Since the 7:00 line moved so fast I was back in and out by 7:30 for both passes.
Then we went to the nightmare line for souvenir stuff. Thankfully Pete stepped out and brought us back a Turkey Sub each. We were done that I think at 9:30.
Jon and I went back to our room and Pete was gone so we went for a walk, looking for a place to get a beer. That's when things got interesting.
That city is uber beautiful. Seriously, I loved it. I left my coat in the hotel and just wore a shirt. We totally felt safe walking in a place neither of us had been before. We found a pub and both Jon and I got carded. I thought she was kidding and I told the girl she was awesome for asking a 40 year old for his ID. Then she didn't like Jon's ID and wouldn't server him. They had beer on tap to go so I picked up 2 pints and Jon and i went back to our room, stopping for some silly pics and laughing.
I ran into some of the Joe Customs guys in the lobby and sat with them for a bit until they went out for a bite to eat and meet back up with Pete and Jon. We all crashed around 1:00 am.

More later.

Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »

You left out the part where I used to universal greeting to make new friends while in line for the club store.

Bah weep granna weep nini bong!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »

2 1/2 hours in line isnt so bad...2 years ago at SDCC it was like 7AM - 2 PM for the Hasbro Booth, with maybe an hour in between the line up for the ticket to get in the line and the real line. :)

Glad to hear you guys had fun, I want to go one day.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

Man, if I wasn't way out in the North Atlantic I might be able to go. You guys are really blessed to be able to make it to one, let alone a few over the years. Is there going to be a Canadian Con this year? I think I read on here that there is not....if so any reason?

My fave would be the Canadian one for sure! Being biased and all LOL

"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »

^ there's no CanaJoeCon this year because of expenses and stuff.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.