JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: May Newsletter Discussion - Gray Market P/CP  (Read 7870 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: May Newsletter Discussion - Gray Market P/CP
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »

Arctic Duke last night.........
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »

I really like this point/counterpoint article, but it only focussed on figs made in China that will (or was supposed to) reach the "White" market then really show up or get cancelled.

But, what do you think about other figs like the one made by The Black Major? He use the same mold of vintage Hasbro figs, but Hasbro never planned to make these. And last year at the con, Habro rep saw those Red, Black and Brown troopers without even trying to stop those guys. Really, I don't understand Hasbro on these.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a pro o-ring figs, so I really like the fact that I can buy those brand new figs in 2010.

Martin

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

I thought this topic was very good, and one we probably have all faced at one level or another.  I personally have no intentions of buying from these sellers because of the thievery implied, and I think no amount of positives can justify the negative.  I do understand how tempting it is, especially as lines get cancelled or like with the best of the 80's troopers, 5 for 29.99!  I was wondering about the indianna jones temple of doom line, you can get those for like 13 bucks a set, so I was thinking they may in the same boat.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"

But, what do you think about other figs like the one made by The Black Major? He use the same mold of vintage Hasbro figs, but Hasbro never planned to make these. And last year at the con, Habro rep saw those Red, Black and Brown troopers without even trying to stop those guys. Really, I don't understand Hasbro on these.

Now that o-ring is officially dead from Hasbro's end, I see Black Major's work as being less and less a thorn in Hasbro's side.  Yes they're still selling Hasbro's intellectual property so it's still a legal no-no, but they're selling things Hasbro has no intention of ever releasing again. I picked up a few of these for curiosity's sake last year, but now that the o-ring will no longer be produced, I'm actively searching these out. 

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »

On a related note, POC Beach-head is now on eBay..............
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

pluv

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • JoeCustoms.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »

Quote from: "Gyre-Viper"
Anyways...not sure what you can really get out of that anecdote but I figured it was at least relative to the subject at hand.
That is a great story. I'm glad we all got to hear it. The fact this article is getting people to discuss the topic more is exactly why Hawk and I contribute to these.

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
I didn't bring up Black Major's and other people's vintage o-ring figures because we know those are bootlegs. There is absolutely no gray area with those. The Chinese workers behind this are using either Hasbro's molds or they created their own based on Hasbro's figures.

From my limited understanding of the law, Hasbro can trademark and copyright the characters. However they have a limited design patent for the actual workings of the figure which would have run out long ago. That is if they could prosecute anyone in the US. They know they'd eventually be dealing with Chinese workers under Chinese law all while doing business for their current products in China. If I had to pick my battles it would be over the stuff I'm currently paying to produce and market and not some old mold I (incorrectly) think has run its course.

Essentially those guys selling vintage stuff are doing what customizers have been doing since 1982, only on a factory level. Brian Savage was asked to do a set of army builders with minimal paint and sold without pretty boxes for the Club and Master Collector wasn't interested. I'm glad somebody took the ball and is running with it. I just wish it didn't feel like you had to buy these out of some guys trunk in a dark alley at midnight in the sketchy part of town. They are very low profile.