JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How much to pay for a complete 1986 Terror Drome?  (Read 7035 times)

Torpedo Rob

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
How much to pay for a complete 1986 Terror Drome?
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:17 AM »

I want one but don't want to over pay. I've been seeing them on Ebay but they look overpriced.
Anyone know?
Thanks

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
Re: How much to pay for a complete 1986 Terror Drome?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »

it all depends on how white the drome is. the price could range from 250.00 up to 800.00

i know the one i have if i was to sell it, i would be in the higher end since mine has not seen day light
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »

Your best bet is probably to avoid the "complete" ones and look for a good shell that might be missing some common parts.  Mine needed new fuel pumps, upper level computer chairs, and a new jail cell door.  All told by the time I was done I probably invested $160 in mine.  You just have to be patient.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »

incomplete is the way to go, Ive seen lots of people get their shells in good condition but missing the small stuff inbetween 100-160ish.  The thing is with these big ticket items is they dont show up often and if they do have a good price they will be gone before you even have seen the ad.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Propergrounds

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »

I paid $500 for mine complete and pretty white.
plus shipping which was about $75

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »

I paid $75 for mine.  It has some discolouration on the gray parts, and one pin on the fold up door was broken.  Other than that it was 100% complete.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

I paid $75 for mine.  It has some discolouration on the gray parts, and one pin on the fold up door was broken.  Other than that it was 100% complete.

Snowhawk, that's an awesome bum deal you found there, but for the sakes of providing my own experience with finding a Terrordrome, I'd say that a Terrordrome in such a complete state and shape as yours would already be considered reasonably priced at least 200$, if one considers that they'd need to buy replacements parts and that a loose near mint undamaged specimen can start fetching 500+ on the secondary market.

I found mine almost 10 years ago now. In order to get it, I had to buy a big lot with other vehicles that I also wanted. If I break apart everything that I bought, the Terrordrome came down to 250$ which is better than paying 400$ for a complete loose one which was the popular minimum going price at the time. It came with the box (in beat up shape), the blueprint, the playset which was in good played with shape but had two broken doors and was missing a seat for the tower canon. I later found them on Ebay for about 30$.

The higher the grade you are aiming for, the more you're likely going to invest. No point in spending too much in one that is too incomplete or in poor shape to continue what Olyeller said, if you don't care much about item completeness or you are patient enough to find the missing parts.
2 + 2 = 22

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Snowhawk, that's an awesome bum deal you found there, but for the sakes of providing my own experience with finding a Terrordrome, I'd say that a Terrordrome in such a complete state and shape as yours would already be considered reasonably priced at least 200$, if one considers that they'd need to buy replacements parts and that a loose near mint undamaged specimen can start fetching 500+ on the secondary market.

I found mine almost 10 years ago now. In order to get it, I had to buy a big lot with other vehicles that I also wanted. If I break apart everything that I bought, the Terrordrome came down to 250$ which is better than paying 400$ for a complete loose one which was the popular minimum going price at the time. It came with the box (in beat up shape), the blueprint, the playset which was in good played with shape but had two broken doors and was missing a seat for the tower canon. I later found them on Ebay for about 30$.

The higher the grade you are aiming for, the more you're likely going to invest. No point in spending too much in one that is too incomplete or in poor shape to continue what Olyeller said, if you don't care much about item completeness or you are patient enough to find the missing parts.
I was very happy with my deal for my Terror Drome.  I ended up paying the guy $150 for the Flagg and the Terrordrome.  Then on top of it I paid $90 for all the 1997/98 15th anniversary stuff still in their box.

My Flagg and Terror Drome do have some age to them, but I am very happy with them.   I would like to find a Defiant, but I know I'll need to fork out the cash for it.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

I was very happy with my deal for my Terror Drome.  I ended up paying the guy $150 for the Flagg and the Terrordrome.  Then on top of it I paid $90 for all the 1997/98 15th anniversary stuff still in their box.

My Flagg and Terror Drome do have some age to them, but I am very happy with them.   I would like to find a Defiant, but I know I'll need to fork out the cash for it.

Only a fool would say that he wasn't happy with that deal, and I know very well that you're no fool :) . I am also looking now for a Defiant. I once sold mine because I was moving out and I thought I would have no space where I was going, but I know that I now regret that. I sold it for 180$ in complete unbroken shape with Payload (with helmet only) which I believe now was a too good deal considering what a complete one will cost me ( at least 350$). Anyway, that's in the past now and I am looking forward to getting one in the next years to come at the Canjoecon.
2 + 2 = 22

Torpedo Rob

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »

Sounds like an incomplete drome that isn't missing too much and in fair condition is the way to go if I want to spend less than $250. Is Ebay best or should I be looking other places?
Thanks for replying everyone.

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »

depending on shipping with eBay but if you are in the local GTA (Toronto area) I have an incomplete one that i would let go for 250 to 300
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »

If the Terrordrome is something that you want in really good shape, then I'd say know this when you buy it from Ebay or anywhere online, especially when the item must be shipped to you:

• there is always the disappointment of finding out that it differs from the pictures showing the actual item (cause: damage during transport, dishonest seller who ommitted to describe accurately the item, stock or generic pictures, etc);
  • If the item is outside of Canada and if the value exceeds 60CAD, chances are good that you will pay duty fees, import taxes, and especially a brokerage fee if you're using a courrier company such as Fedex;
  • Shipping cost in some cases could exceed the price of the item, which makes it a less attractive perspective depending on the actual value of the item;
  • And last but not the least there is always a chance that the item could never show up (gets lost in the mail, fraudulent seller, act of God, etc).

If you are the type of person who must absolutely see the item in person in order to decide if it's worth your attention, especially when a big piece like the Terrordrome is concerned, then I suggest you look up on classified ads, local collector stores, going to Gi joe conventions (like the canjoecon). I did see two terrordromes in my last 4 years of attending the Canjoecon, so I'd safely say that conventions are the best way to go. Not only do you increase the chances of finding the right stuff, but you'll also make new friends and....enemies. Just kidding! Just friends of course!

Also, there are many great sponsors who are cool members here that can help you out too and I can easily vouch for each and one of them, as they are all very professional and trustworthy.

Ebay could become one of the good places to look for one down the road if everything else fails, or if you find a too good deal you don't want to miss, especially if the Terrordrome that you're bidding on or purchasing with the "Buy-It-Now" option is:

• Near your area; and
  • Seller accepts local pickup; or
  • Seller's shipping cost is clearly stated;

Also, there is always the potential risk of landing on a scammer, so if you're buying something on Ebay, make sure:
  • that you pay your winning with Paypal and;
  • to verify that the item is listed with the paypal buyer protection program

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:42:47 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22