JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Thoughts on Depth Charge?  (Read 2052 times)

JoeIndex

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thejoeindex.com/
Thoughts on Depth Charge?
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »

I remarked about how Depth Charge was one of my preferred new sculpt figures. I think he's one of the better designed figures (the waist piece is a tad small though) and one of the more interesting characters. As far as I've been able to tell, he's the only UDT type that's not a SEAL first. I think the character flies too under the radar while guys like Barrel Roll (another favorite) or Cross Hair have gotten the proverbial limelight. I also like the orange suit repaint in a cartoon type of homage (though I doubt that's what Hasbro was thinking when they colored him).

When I think of the Depth Charge character I see a "young" UDT (young in terms of seasons with the G.I. Joe team, not years of life) that still has to prove himself to the old vets like Wet-Suit and Torpedo but also a guy that's so good at what he does he gets lots of solo missions and missions deep behind enemy lines while guys like the aforementioned SEALs do hit & run raids.

The arm constructions weird, not sure I like the elbows, but the swivel ankles are pretty cool, and the swivel wrists I can take or leave, but this is, all things considered, one of my top figure & character combinations to date. The colors are pretty spot on too. The Moray disguise is goofy, but so is most of that Spy Troops stuff.

Thoughts?

(I've also found it odd how many environmental type Joes really hate the environment they work in. I think only Deep Six, Dusty and Iceberg have a genuine love of their environments. Just an aside comment...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The JoeIndex - updated 02/18/2007

Iron J

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Depth Charge?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:25:50 PM »

I think it's a decent character, but just an alright figure. He's just too lanky for my taste, just on the verge of being unrealistic in proportions. But this is just my opinion.

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Depth Charge?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »

The figure?  meh.   I like what they were going for, lots of potential, but the proportions were strange and the welcome added articulation sometimes makes for awkward movement/posing sometimes. 

But the character himself?  BAD-ASS!   I'm definitely a Depth Charge devotee.  I absolutley love the filecard.  His tenure with the Joe team hasn't been a super long one but he's proven himself to be among the best SEALs the team has seen yet.  He's close in age to Torpedo, so they identify with eachother, both kind of "old war-horses" in the platoon.  They get a laugh sometimes at the younger guys like Tracker, Link, and Wetdown who are great at what they do but the arrogance of youth vs. experience sometimes proves itself true.  Cobra watches out for Depth Charge, he's made a few personal enemies on the their roster...

I liked SGT Langdon enough, in fact, to make him into a Sigma 6 character back in '05.  He was one of the few customs I did for the line before I pulled out of collecting them.

Among the many new characters in the Joe ranks since '00, DC is one of my favorites; so much potential, it's sad Hasbro/DDP never did more with him.