JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: IDW - Cobra Civil War - *BIG SPOILERS* For G.I. Joe: Cobra #12  (Read 6250 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: IDW - Cobra Civil War - *BIG SPOILERS* For G.I. Joe: Cobra #12
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

Yeah - just Tweeted Christos Gage and got the same answer.  Good to hear.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
same way Bruce Wayne came back, he wasn't really dead!

same as like 90% of comic resurrections. 'oh, i wasn't really dead! someone beamed me off that crashing asteroid/a godlike entity placed me in a healing coccoon and impersonated me/i got captured by the Russkies and turned into their brainwashed puppet/i got replaced by 4 different copycats whilst i was recovering/i went into a ninja trance and have now recovered despite being shot 3 times at close range'

Not in this case. The book has made some root changes to what COBRA is, and who COBRA Commander is--IDW has been setting this up since the titles launched.. There are descriptions online that spell these out, and reveal that this event is genuine.

He's really dead.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »

Well if it ain't Larry, it ain't real. 

Now back to my cloud on mount oblivious.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »

GI JOE COBRA II  was a great series.  I got lucky and just finished reading all 11 issues yesterday in time for the new issue.  I think IDW went in a great direction with this series.  I am sad to see it end, but it was well planned, well executed and well paced.  I really liked the Serpentor storyline, and managing to include a Cobra-La reference that wasnt cheese.  I will hold out hope for the new direction.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

OMG! Poor CC! He never gets any respect! I wonder if it is Rodney Dangerfield behind the mask?

Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:04 AM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
Quote from: "Sundance"
same way Bruce Wayne came back, he wasn't really dead!

same as like 90% of comic resurrections. 'oh, i wasn't really dead! someone beamed me off that crashing asteroid/a godlike entity placed me in a healing coccoon and impersonated me/i got captured by the Russkies and turned into their brainwashed puppet/i got replaced by 4 different copycats whilst i was recovering/i went into a ninja trance and have now recovered despite being shot 3 times at close range'

Not in this case. The book has made some root changes to what COBRA is, and who COBRA Commander is--IDW has been setting this up since the titles launched.. There are descriptions online that spell these out, and reveal that this event is genuine.

He's really dead.

yeah, but i was talking about most other comics. not this one.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Arashikage Ninja #333

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
I HATE it when comic companies kill off major characters. To me it's all about shock value and that wears off way to fast. Cobra Commander should never die. I still remember issue 100 "I'm back!" Hopefully he's just in a coma or something.

I lost all respect for Marvel when they killed of Captain America. Kill of minor characters if you have to. I loved the New Warriors and they killed off Night Thrasher and destroyed that team but I let that slide because they were not center pieces of the main Marvel universe. Captain America is a center piece, just like Cobra Commander.

If Cobra Commander is truly dead then I say end the series in less then 12 issues and finally have the good guys win.

No doubt.  That whole Captain America thing got me lol.  I was just getting back into other comic series and bought both covers for $17.50 each.  They are now like cover price if I am lucky now lol.  I will never get suckered into character death again.  They just killed off one of the Fantastic Four and I didn't even blink an eye lol.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

I bought this book and was not impressed.  I will seal it and leave it in my cardboard box prison.
Lurking

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

I had every intention of checking this issue out. I really did.... but I "know" it's a gimmick... that's not me saying "I was told it's a gimmick and he'll be back"... it's just me saying that I've read comics for so long that I know everyone "major" comes back.

I say major because Candy still hasn't returned. (Poor Ripcord).

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »

I hope so, but they have a 100 page tribute to Cobra Commander coming in April.  I found in another site that you need to read book 10 and 11 to make this book make sence. 
Lurking

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"
I had every intention of checking this issue out. I really did.... but I "know" it's a gimmick... that's not me saying "I was told it's a gimmick and he'll be back"... it's just me saying that I've read comics for so long that I know everyone "major" comes back.

I say major because Candy still hasn't returned. (Poor Ripcord).
I agree. But also of note, the way they've set up their Joe universe, Cobra Commander isn't just one guy, but a title. So, yeah, sure THIS CC is dead, and will stay dead. But A Cobra Commander will exist again at some point. So in a sense he will be back and it waters the whole impact down a bit IMO.

Overall I'm enjoying IDW's comics. Each title has its pros and cons (except the movie based ones which I had no interest in). None seem to be able to get everything right, but they each have enough that I'm still going back for more. Here's hoping "season 2" of the main title gets on track and Larry Hama moves on from the brainwave scanner goofiness soon!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:19 AM »

I just watched Batman Under the Red Hood last night. Throw Cobra Commander in the Lazarus Pit, problem solved.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.