JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: POC Wave 5 & 6-first impressions;  (Read 2462 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
POC Wave 5 & 6-first impressions;
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:59 AM »

Okay, I don't have all of them-I cherry picked some of these at my LCS, as I have all of these on order with a friendly dealer I know ( Hub City)
I have
Wave 5: General Hawk
COBRA Commander
Wave 6:
 Crazy Legs
Iron Grenadier
Rock-Viper

My thoughts:
There's been other commentary on these already, and I'm not going to repeat the griping sentiments about re-used parts......as, well........I just don't share them.

Iron Grenadier is just City Strike Destro with a different gun. And backpacks. On the face of it, one might think that there's not a whole lot to recommend about this figure because of the re-use but I think this figure just works. I like the head on this, but moreso I LOVE the gold paint apps on the faceplate.The smart gun is really nice too--but I get this odd nagging impression that SOMETHING else is supposed to snap onto it--maybe one of the back packs. Gonna have to fiddle with this to see for sure.

Rock Viper..........bought him on a hunch.......and hunch proved right. Figure is meh. I love the scoped weapon he has--the rest is bleh. I really disliked the helmet he has, and there in I played my hunch. I swapped the helmet for a POC Alley Viper Helmet--but I removed the visor first.......and bingo. It made the look. The deep terracotta colour of the AV helmet is close enough to the colour on the chest pouches that it does not look out of place, and it gives the figure a more exotic look. I'm keeping him that way.

Crazy Legs is a solid figure, but I'm wondering if his goggles were placed on UPSIDE DOWN. the art shows them the same way as on the figure--with the hollow space between the lenses as "up" and the band between them as "down".......but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The how area is where the bridge of the nose should rest under the goggles--were they worn on the face. Well despite the card art, I went with my common sense here and put them on the "right" ( my) way. I really think he needs his original weapon from the RAH version--and I'm now on the hunt for one.

Cobra Commander-Another solid figure. My step-son bought one as well, and his had a left arm that broke just seconds after taking it out of the package. sheered off at the pin into the upper arm. I traded him my good sample and kitbashed a hybrid with my ROC CC figure. I like CC like this but its the head, vestéjacket and cape that really make the figure.

General Hawk--love the card art. Figure is okay--actually its the most interesting all-new sculpt in the bunch. Having the figure in hand confirmed my first impressions on seeing the press photos--I still feel thing figure should have been an updated Grunt, instead of Gen Hawk. There's nothing about him that says " General" to me, and I get more of a lower ranking soldier feel out of him. And the beauty of is that I can do that if I want to. As such, I think he's a rockin' figure and easily my fav of the batch I have thus far.

These are decent figures, despite their filler nature. They are sensible choices, sensibly executed. That one small helmet change to the Rock Viper made that figure, and my hybrid CC doesn't suffer for not being the one that came off the card. even if he'd remained intact, he would have been a fine "bog standard" CC. I can see myself buying another Iron Grenadier, just to flank Destro along with the other IG. Crazy Legs could have benefited  from a more authentic weapon choice, but the H&K sub gun he comes with works fine for him.
I'm liking them all.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:37:13 PM by ARROW »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: POC Wave 5 & 6-first impressions;
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »

From all the pics I've seen, I'd have to agree with you on Hawk.  Nothing really screams General.   I like the look of it, but he looks more like a PFC Hawk.  

Your comments on the Rock Viper are not uncommon either from what other have said.

I never got the 25th Blowtorch, so it's one of the figures I'm looking forward too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »

I'm an Army Builder so I welcome the new Viper and IG.  I can't wait to get my cases from another Sponsor as my Comic shop charged me $14.99 for my wave 6 army builders.
Lurking

5h4rK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
...I can't wait to get my cases from another Sponsor as my Comic shop charged me $14.99 for my wave 6 army builders.

Ouch!

Hawkwinter

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »

I just ordered cases of both wave 5 & 6 to make sure I got a lower price, as my comicshop charges $14.99 as well. As is, I ended up paying $10 each but ended up with extra non-troop building figures that I hope to sell/trade. Wave 1 of 30th is looking stellar for troop builders. 10 out of 12 figs are troop builders. Can't get much better than that.

In general, I found both wave sto be better in hand than in pics and sitting around thinking about them. Still have some strong dislikes like Jungle BAT and Cobra Commander, but all in all they are solid and have some real gems as well.

I was quite pleased with Justins (GeneralsJoes.com) idea in his review of the General Hawk figure where he placed the 25th Hawk (based on 1982 version) head on this new PoC version. Looks terrific. I agree that if the head had matched the card art, we'd of had one incredible figure.
"A good man needs to do nothing but sit idly by for evil to triumph"

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »

I was quite pleased with Justins (GeneralsJoes.com) idea in his review of the General Hawk figure where he placed the 25th Hawk (based on 1982 version) head on this new PoC version. Looks terrific. I agree that if the head had matched the card art, we'd of had one incredible figure.

I don't mind the head as much as I do the helmet--its too small, for one thing.

I went into my spares box and found a helmet from some other figure and it works better on Hawk because its a bit larger.

Bit of a follow-up--scored a complete set of Wave 5 the other day from Hub City toys ( THANKS Jody!).
So now I have Blowtorch, Jungle BAT, CC, Gen Hawk again, Cobra trooper, and Steel Brigade soldier.
The latter two are my favs of the waves--so much so that I had the foresight to order one more of each from Jody to accompany my Wave 5.
Steel Brigade is just excellent, a worth ( BETTER) follow up to the Pit Commando. I didn't realize how much different the Cobra solider was until I had him in hand. Again, another excellent figure with all kinds of versatility to him.
Blowtorch is fine too, not a character I'm "wow" about, but a colourful addition to my collection.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »

Hawk grew on me much more sans helmet.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.