JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!  (Read 27728 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »

it was hard to tell, the floor always seemed to be reasonably filled with people throughout the day, it might have been that people left but new people came in.  But like Mark Bellamo said there seemed to be way more kids this year then last and that's a fantastic thing.  It always brought a smile to my face seeing the kids get something they really wanted and get excited about, reminded me of how I felt at that age at getting a new toy.  Also keep in mind that this is vacation season as well as taste of danforth weekend.  Both my brother and my neice and nephew were going to come but one had to goto Montreal for vacation and the other had to work.  2 of my other friends were going to go as well but one went camping and the other went to taste of danforth.  I did manage to bring one friend though.  But because of the timing we maybe lost out on a few admissions (4 or 5 for me alone)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:36:58 AM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »

There were certainly more kids this year, which is fantastic. G.I. Joe is, after all - a toy. It should attract a lot of kids :D

Rough numbers at days' close yesterday put attendance about equal, if not slightly more, than last year. The reason it may seem that there were less is that it was a bigger venue. So people were more spread out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
Also sorry to those who couldnt spot me because I was dressed up as TUnnel Rat.

I have to say that your costume was awesome, as were all the guys and girls who got in the spirit!
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »

(edited my post above slightly)

also wanted to add that I think the vendors were able to sell a lot more this year because the selection and pricing was way better then last year, I myself bought way more then last year and Im sure many others were the same.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:48 AM »

..Oh and I was reading the Sun this morning and page 12 has an article about the show and great pics. 

There is a short video at: www.torontosun.com/joe
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »

Im honestly still excited about yesterday and I didnt have that kind of feeling last year, personally I felt the con has turned a corner and stepped it up with the new venue and A list guests, it seriously made the difference.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
Anyone got good pics as well that they are willing to post?

i took about two hundred pix throughout the day, and they will be posted soon...
Wherever you go, there you are.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »

OK, the 12 hour drive is over and I've just work up from a 11 hour nap :P

Another great show guys!  Thanks again for all the work you put in to make it happen.  I agree with the opinions earlier that the show floor had a better selection than ever, and that prices were very fair. 
That Con comic was the highlight of the set, and it's awesome that you guys put forth so much effort into the joecanuck/cobra north mythos.  Snake Byte was my least favorite figure going into con and became my favorite figure of the set after reading that book. 
Thank you also to the ATM machine for running out of money, because I probably would have spent another $500 on the show floor and had a very pissed off wife on the way home.  Automatic teller error is the best deterrent to a plastic crack addiction :)
Thanks to the customs official who made the crossing trouble free this year, it was a nice change of pace.
Thanks to all the old friends and new who I met this weekend.  Special thanks to Pdaat for bringing the GI Joe monopoly, and taking pity on me early in the game which led to my later victory! 
Thanks to pizza/pizza for delivering to the line at 2 am :)
Thanks to all of you parents who brought your kids out to show them how fun a joe con can be, and at the same time, thanks to all the generosity at the freebie table so the kids could take home some cool stuff. 

bron

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

I wanted to sign up here and say I few words. I was a collector of 80's toys back in the UK until I moved to Canada in January of this year; selling everything before the move. I missed the recent 80's convention, so wanted to show up to this since it was so close to me.

Although I don't really have much interest in GI Joe itself I found the convention itself really interesting. You can tell it was done with great care and attention to detail. I also felt like it was very accessible to collectors of all levels, with the traders not appearing to fleece everyone at any given opportunity. The pricing seemed fair and had I been looking to start a collection I could have done so very easily. I was very happy to give $15 in order to keep what is obviously a very passionate community going!

I talked to Mark Bellomo about his clear labour of love and bought the 2nd edition of his book, again, not that I have a great interest in the subject; but I respect the work and people that book out material like this deserve support. I actually did buy a MoC Funskool Tunnel Rat and got it signed by Larry, along with the foreword in the collectors guide.

Great work to everyone involved at every level, including the fans. Who knows, this time next year I may have a Joe collection!

SID

• View Profile
    • http://neoengel.com
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

Wanted to take the time to stop by and thank everyone for a great show.  Thank you for the compliments for my Dusty costume as well, there's a pic of it on my newly opened twitter site and I love the photo the Sun (not the Star as I had previously thought) got of me caught drinking my coffee (#6 in the Toronto Sun gallery posted here).  Saw my friend Steph as an awesome Scarlett and we hammed it up with Cobra Commander and Destro for a CHCH bit... all within 30 minutes of my arrival to the con.

My helmet is off to THE MIKE and the gang for an ever increasingly awesome show and I look forward to next year.  A definite highlight of the day was Mr. Hoffman greeting me and reciting a line from the show in Zartan's voice.
Sid, host of the Snake-Eyes Tribute site
www.neoengel.com/snakeeyes

Sid\'s Snake-Eyes Costumes

Joeczar

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »

Sounds like it was a great time, congrats THE Mike on pulling off another great show!

savageplay

• View Profile
    • http://savageplay.spaces.live.com/Photos/
Thank you all
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »

thank you all for your effort, it was great to be around my fellow enthusiasts :D
I have been slacking on my Joe-love lately but since then i have (continued) work on my cobra mountain (which has been on hold for 4 years....yikes) and started stringing up my Rattler collection to the ceiling

It's always a great time and I'll see you all again next year.

-- oops i didn't see the thread at the top, my bad