JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Pursuit of Cobra @ Wal Mart  (Read 107063 times)

Kronser

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of Cobra @ Wal Mart
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »

Nice. That's all I need to rest easy on these. If they're in Canada I'll find them eventually :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
I figured out how to change my signature!

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:21 AM »

My local Walmart had only 1 Destro and TK Snake Eyes last night.  The shelf was full of wave 1 so I think they put out what the have space for.  Good thing is I can keep checking it over the next couple days and get the rest.

A friend of mine came back from Denver on a long haul and he picked up Spirit and Quick Kick from Toys R Us.  I love that Spirit figure.  He is definately one of the best ones that have come out in a long time.

I recently bought my son some of the Hunt for Decepticons Transformers.  Comparing the 2 Hasbro products.  The production value has gone up for the POC line, the quality is amazing.  The new Transformers are very poor in their quality of plastic and colouring.  It is good to see that Hasbro is putting the quality into the Joe line.  Now we just have to get the kids out there buying it.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:25 AM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"
My local Walmart had only 1 Destro and TK Snake Eyes last night.  The shelf was full of wave 1 so I think they put out what the have space for.  Good thing is I can keep checking it over the next couple days and get the rest.

A friend of mine came back from Denver on a long haul and he picked up Spirit and Quick Kick from Toys R Us.  I love that Spirit figure.  He is definately one of the best ones that have come out in a long time.

I recently bought my son some of the Hunt for Decepticons Transformers.  Comparing the 2 Hasbro products.  The production value has gone up for the POC line, the quality is amazing.  The new Transformers are very poor in their quality of plastic and colouring.  It is good to see that Hasbro is putting the quality into the Joe line.  Now we just have to get the kids out there buying it.

How can we get the kids buying them when we are buying all the army builders? Sometimes I think we are all a bit short sighted. We devour the army builders and leave pegs full of Duke and Storm Shadow and expected someone else to buy them. That's not exactly helping keep the Joe line alive.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »

Wave 2 has hit both North and South Oshawa Walmarts.

North restocked wave 1 and only had 1 figure from wave 2 put out (Dusty) and South store had both waves stocked but no Recondo or Jungle Vipers :(

I do have extra wave 2 Zartan, Destro, Dusty and TK SE as well as wave 1 AV's so send me an IM if your in need.

Kronser

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"

How can we get the kids buying them when we are buying all the army builders? Sometimes I think we are all a bit short sighted. We devour the army builders and leave pegs full of Duke and Storm Shadow and expected someone else to buy them. That's not exactly helping keep the Joe line alive.

Well, Hasbro doesn't help things by packing the army builders so short. They clearly think the mainstay characters are going to do better business, as far as I can tell. Seems to me the army builders are a bone they toss to the collector base. I doubt little kids worry about them the way most of us do. As a kid I always hunted for specific characters. But I guess it was different then, I never saw ANY Storm Shadow on the shelf until I was about 15 years old, and even then it was Ninja Force. All my Stormys, and Snake Eyes came to me second hand as a kid. It's weird really, I remember the 1986 Viper being a peg warmer in its day. I suppose it's complicated marketing a toy line whose fan base is mostly adults by now.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 05, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »

It's my belief that that even if Hasbro had 4 Alley Vipers per case (wave 1), we would still see Strom Shadow and Duke warming the pegs. The reason I can say that is I'm seeing 6 + Dukes and Storm Shadow figures on the pegs and nothing else. It's not like these characters were released in greater numbers, but that we, the adult collectors are buying up all the cool army builders.

My favorite G.I. Joe figure is still the same one from when I was a kid, the original orange Alley Viper and when I was a kid I was able to get him.

My point is we are going to be the reason why Joe gets the axe next time around. It's a good product, but there is only so many times the kiddies will want Duke, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes and Destro. I'm also guilty of this to an extent. I often think "I should leave that for some kids. Wait, some other collector will get it, so I might as well buy it."
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Kronser

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »

Yeah I agree, and I do the same. It's just a shame if our enthusiasm is what kills the line.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kronser"
Yeah I agree, and I do the same. It's just a shame if our enthusiasm is what kills the line.
If I may be candid, this makes no sense.

If the product is selling......its not going to matter if its selling to kids or adults.

For the last decade and a bit, kids just haven't been interested in GIJOE in numbers that really matter.
Sure, Hasbro has tried to draw kids back into the equation.........but nothing has held for long.
POC appears to be  "gamer influenced" with its styling and looks to be meant to appeal to that demographic.
The new cartoon should help, but my guess is that its going to appeal to that same demographic more than it will bring in new kids

As long as the product is selling, and reorders and restocks move and do not languish on the pegs or shelves, then the line is going to remain healthy.

Buy what you like, as much as you like, as the stores can ALWAYS reorder more

Kronser

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »

Well what I mean is the enthusiasm of a small collector base leaving heaps of unwanted single figs and vehicles on the shelves. Look in the Zellers thread, people are reporting getting things this week that have been there for over two years!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »

Quote from: "Kronser"
Well what I mean is the enthusiasm of a small collector base leaving heaps of unwanted single figs and vehicles on the shelves. Look in the Zellers thread, people are reporting getting things this week that have been there for over two years!

Well, "wants" are subjective, right?
 GIJOE has long been a fickle brand, despite whatever retailers and Hasbro have tried to inject into it, or the direction they've steered it toward. The number of pegs of GIJOE product has is always telling ( especially up here in Canada)--as its seldom more than a couple of pegs in most retailers.
Sets that we think would go over big.......don't always do so--and when they do........its often only on clearance. ROC Night Ravens didn't sell much at reg price, but they sure moved at $10--and I'd bet more then a few end up under X-mas trees this year. In fact, Hasbro has long lamented that GIJOE only seems to really sell come Christmas time--go figure!

In my local area......the POC peg warmers are Storm Shadow, Desert Battle Snake-Eyes, maybe a Duke,  and the vehicles. I've checked my 3 Wally's about 1-2 times a week for the past 4 weeks and the POC stock of figures has sold and been restocked. Vehicles have not moved much at all.
I can tell you that I have seen COBRA Commanders on the pegs 3 times, but I have only seen about a dozen figures on the pegs at any one time, anywhere in my local area--and when the stuff has been selling all that is left is one or two figures.

I found a Sigma Six figure ( Long Range) at my local Zellers, but that's the oldest thing I have seen there. They had a bunch of the target stuff, but.........golly at $29 per set, its no wonder none of them were selling. Even if they were $5 ea......they'd not really appeal to me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:46:45 PM by ARROW »

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
My point is we are going to be the reason why Joe gets the axe next time around. It's a good product, but there is only so many times the kiddies will want Duke, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes and Destro. I'm also guilty of this to an extent. I often think "I should leave that for some kids. Wait, some other collector will get it, so I might as well buy it."

I have to disagree with this. I think right now collectors are about the only ones buying this line. Kids like the main characters. That's why greivous is the #1 selling villain in the SW line (yes ahead of vader). Main characters sell to the kids. The fact I've seen evidence of maybe 1/2 a dozen cases of figures in the last couple months at a given walmart, and the only peg warmers are duke and SS, (and 2-3 of each hardly constitutes a peg warmer) makes me think that kids just aren't picking these up right now. We've had so little product come in from this line that I think it's safe to say that if the kids pick up this line at all, then the few dukes and SSs will go. But there's also no media support for this line. The movie has faded (despite the ridiculous restocking at TRU), and there's no cartoon or commercials. How are kids even finding out about this line? The grievous over Vader example shows how important a media presence is.

I dunno, it is a tough balance for an in between line like this. I just hope they bring in enough to meet at least collectors' demand.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »

Since this thread as been totally hijacked... I will put my 2 cents in too  ;D

To sell toys in big numbers you need 2 things... a TV Show and Adversting!  Hasbro does neither for GI Joe, but they do it for Star Wars.  If you go to the toy section you see how big the section for Star Wars is compared to GI Joe.  Hasbro is counting on Renegades to save the line.  That is why they plan to change the nationality on more GI Joe characters.  Heck, I hear that Lady Jaye is going to be latino now.  Hasbro has said that PoC is a filler line until Renegades comes out, so I'm with ARROW and total agree that we should buy what we want.  Because if we do not buy them then nobody will.  Of the 4 Walmarts by my house there is one that I'm the only one that is buying GI Joes there.  But that is just my opinion.  
Lurking