JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Retr0bright  (Read 3457 times)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Retr0bright
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Anyone ever try this on yellowed Joes? I'm halfway done collecting the required *Destro voice* CATALYTIC ELEMENTS *end Destro voice* and plan to give it a whirl. I'm keen on some success stories though to increase my enthusiasm for the attempt.

Zenith27

• View Profile
Re: Retr0bright
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »

Gonna give it a try this weekend.

Got the xanthan gun and hydrogen peroxide from a health food place, glycerin from Walmart and Oxy from Crappy Tire. Here's hoping it works! I'll post before and after pics.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

Please don't forget to wear your safety goggles and ensure that the room you are working in is very well ventilated. Good luck!  :)
2 + 2 = 22

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »

Thanks mom

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »

Thanks mom

Ha! Ha!

And don't forget to pick up your toys and do your shores when you're done! And same goes for you too Martin, or you're sleeping again standing up on one leg against the wall tonight...without supper and breakfast! This....I command!  ;D
2 + 2 = 22

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »

Sorry for the delayed update. Kept forgetting the camera at work.

All these pieces went in twice since I had the blower on in the UV booth the first time and the mixture really dried out quickly. The parts that aren't in the "after" pics (crane parts, radar dome) were only put in once and taken home without taking pictures. First round was about 18h. Second round was close to 12h with a couple parts left in for the whole 18h (Ends of walls got 3h each end as did launcher box top sides).

Worked like a BOSS as you can see! I'm debating bothering with the fantail deck and the internal walls. The launcher mount went in for another go-round to lighten up the sides.

I also didn't do the opposite sides of the parts since I was running out of mixture.

Tried some figure parts in the first run and it did NOTHING. Orange Stormy is still orange and it didn't fix Spirit's chest or a Cobra soldier back. I suspect it's the harder plastic.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »

looks great. If my collection was in better shape and i had the time and cash to fix them up I might try this.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »

That's too bad for Storm Shadow since a lot of them are yellowed. That could have been THE solution.