JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Marvel 3 3/4" figures now at Walmart. Also DC figs.  (Read 12846 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Marvel 3 3/4" figures now at Walmart. Also DC figs.
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »

Well I did a little shopping today and found the new Marvel 3 3/4" line of figures today at both Sherway Walmart and Square 1 Walmart.  Square 1 also had the DC figures.

Here is the price:  $7.92 for the DC figures.  $9.92 for the Marvel figures.

DC:  While I am not that impressed by the figures and articulation, they are pretty good overall.  Barely worth the $8 price tag.  Although a great selection of characters.  I only saw Joker, Black Lightning, Spectre, Dr. Fate and Superman.  But on the back I must have missed, Wildcat, Star Sapphire, Question, Scarecrow, Batman, Nightwing, GCPD officer.  So die hard fans will love them, but I probably will only go for the characters I really love.

Marvel:  Ok, $10 is a bit much, but these are some great figures.  Comparing them to the DC figures shows you just how much better they are.  The selection of charcters in wave 1 is a bit puzzling, but at least they didn't go all out in the first wave.  The variants are apparently Stealth Iron Man and Human Torch in FF costume.  This wave has a total of 12!!!! different figures.  Yes a couple of variants, but overall 12 separate figs to get.  This line looks great and I think Hasbro has another hit on their hands, especially one that can easily take over ML.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel 3 3/4" figures now at Walmart. Also DC figs.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »

The DC figures didn't interest me - I will only pick up a few figures from each wave.  As for the Marvel figures, I will grab them all - they have to be better than the ultimate showdown figures, Canada saw only the first 2 waves, and for good reason - they were really crappy!
I am hoping these figures are similar to Joe figures in terms of construction/plastic quality/scale etc.
Hasbro has really dragged on the Marvel Legends 6" line, and the fact the figures went up in price and the sculpt/articulation went down really bothered me.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »

I picked up 2 from the Marvel stuff and all 5 that I saw from the DC stuff.  Price was the deciding factor.

Articulation of course is far superior with the Marvel line of course.  Some of the characters seem a little scrawny and the Punisher's face scult is awful....but they are changing it next wave.  I anxiously await Bucky Cap.

Green Arrow looks great for the DC line - I think this is the first DC fig that had an accessory.

Paul
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »

I'm a huge DC fan. Having said that, the figs kinda suck compared to the Marvel ones. I got Batman and Green Arrow. Had Nightwing been there I would have grabbed him too.
From the Marvel set I got Spiderman and Iron Man. I'm blown away by Iron Man! Great poseability, proportions, shiny paint job. He's the best of the Marvels. I am adding him to my Joe team so Cobra better watch out. Spiderman is okay, I got him because he's Spiderman. His head is a little too small. I wanted Wolverine but for some reason they painted him silver and black. I'll wait till they do "normal" colours.

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »

Did they happen to have Daredevil? He would be the main Marvel character I would look for.
Silent Dusty

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:03 AM »

Daredevil is part of the assortment and he does come with red nunchucks.

I passed him up in Guelph Walmart which only got one case of this wave.

I am saving the little shield logos that come in the packaging to replace the Hulkbuster door logos on my Hulkbuster hummer and make it look like the shield vehicle concept pics.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »

Iron Man is cool.  They painted Wolvie in his X-Force costume.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »

I have to say, having all but Black Panther & Wolverine, that I really love Silver Surfer the most.  It probably just has to do with his board being such a great accessory, but hey, what can I say?

I think this line will be great for Hasbro.  I am still torn about some of the accessory choices though.  Some are easy, like Silver Surfer or Punisher.  However, Iron Man and Spiderman, while understandable, don't really have accessories that are well executed, in my opinion.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »

Took a look at Wolvie and Punisher today at Walmart, those were all that were left. At ten bucks a pop, they would have had to have 25th-quality sculpts and they fell a bit short for me. Odd that Hasbro has so many 3 3/4 lines but can't manage to keep quality up across them all. Hell, if the Indy toys were made with Joe parts I think a lot of us would have bought them. And I know it will never happen but if Joe-articulate Star Wars toys ever came out, I may even renounce my self imposed ban on SW action figures. I think the last SW carded figure I bought was Jar Jar v1. lol

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »

Scored Spidey and Black Panther.
Well actually, my girlfriend did while shopping today and she called me at the office.

Can't wait for tonight  :spidey:
Say no to AFA.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »

For those on the fence, I put a mini review up on Joecustoms:

http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewto ... e.#p155842

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »

Nice review.
Say no to AFA.