JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Saw the movie  (Read 6221 times)

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Saw the movie
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »

And while it was good, it wasn't great. The Paris scene was awesome. The ending was a little less so. Zartan and Stormshadow are absolutely awesome. Destro, less so.

You will hate Marlon Wayans after watching it. Even if you liked him before, you won't after. Also Scarlett.

Some people dressed up in line, but the theater was only half full. Someone gave me a sticker for my shirt that they had printed up to complete my costume. ;-)

Watch the Snake Eyes scenes carefully or you'll miss stuff. Ray is so damned fast, you miss a lot of the stuff. Stormy though is perfect, and you get to see everything he does, which makes him super awesome.

Still there are more than enough really cool moments to make it worth seeing. It was a good thrill ride and worth seeing in the theater. The problem was that it really needed a crowning moment of awesome at the end that just didn't seem to come. Sadly this is not a movie that is in the class of Iron Man or Dark Knight, but it was better than Transformer's II by a long shot.

:chicken:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Saw the movie
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »

Quote from: "Raptor"
You will hate Marlon Wayans after watching it. Even if you liked him before, you won't after. Also Scarlett.

I disagree. I hated Marlon Wayans before the movie but after the movie I liked him. He as zero to do with the ARAH Ripcord character but then again, this move is far from ARAH.

Scarlett, well I don't know what to make of her character. She was pretty flat as a character and very typical.

Ripcord had some humour but when it was time to get serious he was able to make that switch without it feeling forced.

I do agree it was way better then TF2.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »

I agree with you about Scarlett.  Very flat (as a character at least).

Paul
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »

I went and saw the movie last night. good action, and fast paced ride throughout the movie, they did a great job, all of them.

I was very impressed by the way it was done, they way the characters were, i will see it again, i was looking at it from the thought of a new beginning, for gijoe for the next gen of future gi joe fans, and i think as the sequels come out new characters will be introduced and old characters will evolve into more then they are now, as cobra commander and destro did, even if just a little. i am still unhappy about the use of heavy duty over roadblock though, and hope they at least bring roadblock in later.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »

I agree Scarlett was a let down compared to the Baroness.  Duke not bad, Hawk ok, Breaker hard to understand sometimes, Ripcord the jury is still out on that one, Zartan cool, Destro ok had more potential, Storm Shadow cool, to me Snake Eyes was just ok because I couldn't get past the creepy molded mouth and rubber outfit.  I think this movie is closer to AA not PG with all the violence.  They should also have edited out Brandon Frasers camoe--he should stick to the Mummy.  CoverGirl--what gives?

Overall, it was a really good set up for the franchise and hopefully the second movie out does this one.  There is a lot of potential here.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »

I was happily surprised to see Brandon Frasers. I didn't know he was in the movie. I think he might have been testing the waters with attaching his name to the G.I. Joe brand. He is finally getting back into Hollywood with some decent films as of late (Ink Heart for one) so he can watch the reviews of the first film and if it does well then he could easily come back in the second film and have his character be more important. That's just a guess, but it would make sense to me.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
I was happily surprised to see Brandon Frasers. I didn't know he was in the movie. I think he might have been testing the waters with attaching his name to the G.I. Joe brand. He is finally getting back into Hollywood with some decent films as of late (Ink Heart for one) so he can watch the reviews of the first film and if it does well then he could easily come back in the second film and have his character be more important. That's just a guess, but it would make sense to me.

I knew Brandon Fraser was going to be in the movie.  Originally his character was Gung Ho.
I saw an interview with him and he stated that as soon as he heard Steven Sommers pick up the GIJoe movie he had his agent call for a part because he wanted to be in the movie no matter what.  However, when he saw the reference material for Gung Ho(guess he didn't know who he was) Brandon proceeded to laugh and trash the character and his memories of playing with GIJoe as a kid consisted of blowing them up.  So I would say it was a pure business move.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »

I just got back from seeing it.  I was glad I saw it in theaters...  a TV Screen just wouldn't do it justice.

Overall, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.  There were good parts, but so many critical errors that made it lousy.

The characters were extremely one-dimensional and clich?.  The back-stories and character relationships were ham-handed at best.  And the writing had more holes in it than Blackburn, Lancashire (how the hell does the Night Raven's weapon "lock on" when it fires in a straight line?  How does an elite unit comprised of "the top soldiers of every country's military" end up with tens of thousands of members?).  The sister of the commander of the friend of the squademate of the fiancee, etc etc etc was the worst.  As much as I hate characters that "just are because they are", I would have preferred that over the pitiable backstory they tried to cook up.  And they should have just completely avoided any relationships, romantic or otherwise - they totally threw credibility out the window, with that.  As a movie, it was pretty lousy...

However, it had some good moments.  I liked the accelerator suits and the fancy weapons/vehicles/tech - the near-future tech was great.  I liked the easter-egg-esque catch-phrases peppered through the movie - they fit with the dialogue just fine and made me smile.  The back-stories that they just kept simple were great - Destro's was alright, Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow was good...  I guess that's all of them, really - the rest stank.  Zartan was awesome.  The action was great.  The ending and the "grand plan" was transparent, but satisfying.

Ultimately, I knew they'd re-write the GI Joe mythos for this one.  I went in there expecting to re-learn everything about GI Joe, so that aspect doesn't even bother me.  What bothers me is that the story they came up with was (for lack of a more colourful word) lousy.  It's as if they jotted down some bullet-point notes on a whiteboard, brushed their hands and said "done!"  As much as I hope there's a sequel, I hope they get a new team of writers for it because GI Joe deserves a better story than what ROC delivered.

/rant

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »

Well I saw the movie and I have to say I am really disappointed.

I was one who kept an open mind beforehand, and was really hopeful after all the early fan reviews.  However, this movie was just awful.

I think the action was really well done for the most part.  The Paris scene turned out to be my favourite in the whole movie.

However, the rest was terrible.  The acting, the story, the pacing and the scenery.

I get the whole "in the near future" but the sets and bases were beyond ridiculous. 

I give credit to Wayans, Miller and the actor who played SS.  Good jobs all around.  The rest including Quaid should be embarassed with how they handled the dialogue.  Granted, the dialogue was dreadful as well.

Zartan and CC seemed to be on the cusp of being great characters, but never got the chance to be fleshed out further.

I'm Canadian, and this bothered me the most....WHY WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA A BRIT?????  GOOD LORD!!!  This is 2009, not 1950, you can easily find actors to play the role who either are American or can do a proper US accent.

After all this, I am still going to to and watch it again, and maybe it will improve my opinion.

Hammer Viper

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

I saw the movie today with my kid.  Of course, he loved it and so did his friends. It was funny listening to my kid tell the other kids something about the characters, as if he was recruiting new joe members. He even called the ending. I thougt it was good and enjoyed the entertainment it provided.  Lots of bang, but not much else.   

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:47 AM »

Saw it today myself.  I have a few impressions...which I will try to relay without throwing out any major spoilers.

The brother/fiancee thing DID seem contrived and unwieldy.  I didn't quite buy the "Nanites can do anything" angle either. 

While the grand plan behind everything was plausible, I agree that the bases for both Joe and Cobra were flat ridiculous.  While I could see GI Joe EVENTUALLY growing into the force they show in the movie, I figured it was going to be a small, growing force.  While the multi-national aspect was cool and somewhat expected (especially considering how at the end of the ARAH line GI Joe had members from just about everywhere) I don't buy the Pit being in Egypt.

As for the actors, I really like Dennis Quaid as Hawk.  For that matter, I liked him in The Alamo as Sam Houston.  So, Mr. Quaid, you have now played my two favorite generals (real and fictional).  You just need Washington to complete the Trifecta.  Sienna Miller did a great job as the Baroness, a perfect mix of sexy and evil.  Didn't buy what happened to her at the end.  Rachel Nichols is smoking hot, but needed more character development.  I've always liked Chris Eccleston but I think he should have played Destro more like his character from Gone in 60.  Ray Park is an amazing martial artist and acrobat, and Lee Byeong-heon did an excellent Storm Shadow. 

All in all I was thoroughly entertained and hope the movie does well but I just have one request to Paramount for the sequels.

For God's sake, PLEASE get rid of that stupid, idiotic, goofy !@#$ing molded mouth on Snake-Eyes!  It annoyed me every time I saw it!
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:50:36 AM »

Hey I saw GI joe The Rise of Cobra on Friday and I actually enjoyed the humor and the action in it, it was actually great fun from the very beginning to the end, and I was never bored. The opening scene of the movie is worth gold as it opens the page to the story very well. the ending is also very worth of beeing called Gi joe. It naturally ends on a "possible sequel" note but then again, so did the GI joe series, right? Some people might find character development was lacking somewhere , but I find there was a lot of character depths and spins for many of the Joes and Cobras, and the fact the movie probably missed out to show more of certain characters is either a compromise for all the good ups this movie has to offer, and who knows, it could've also been a consequence of movie editing and director's deleted scenes.... :wink: Yes I admit there were flaws in the movie, but so far I can't find one that really stopped me from enjoying this movie.

Oh and I even very much enjoyed the sequence where the Joes use the Accelerator Suits...As for Duke, he was my least favorite Joe in the cartoon, but I found his character was a rising star in this movie.

I actually went to see it with some Joe buddies of Montreal. When the movie ended, we had somewhat agreed to scream Yo-Joe...but we got beaten to it by a group of kids that were sitting in front of our row. They actually stayed seated and silent and clapped respectfully, that my friends....was amazing.
2 + 2 = 22