JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Help with opening glued figures!  (Read 3245 times)

GOLD5

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Help with opening glued figures!
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:11 AM »

Hey there everyone, I recently bought a pack of 100 fresh O-rings and was merrily replacing all my staff's innards when I found that my Zartan seems to be glued shut. The screw comes out but he still doesn't come apart at the seams. Do any of you customizing fiends out there have any advice or tips on how to pry him apart without breaking him? Also I have a Tripwire with a stripped screw head that I can't turn.. I know you guys deal with these types of issues all the time so I figured there might be some special trick or something.. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :cobra:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Help with opening glued figures!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »

The next newsletter will have info on your screw problem. It should be posted in a few days.

As for Zartan, boil and pop method works if you're careful - and you have the screw out. (Same with Zandar and Zarana).

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »

Hi,

Normally you would be able to see this information here: http://wiki.joecustoms.com/wiki/Glued_Torsos but the site is actually down. In the meantime, read it below:

Taking apart Zartan, Zandar, Zaranna and Ninja Force glued Torsos (From JCWiki)

Certain figures need a little extra attention when it comes to getting them apart.

Tools Needed

• A small screwdriver
  • Sharp hobby knife (such as an X-acto)

The Process

As usual, remove the screw from the back of the figure. It should come out with just a little work. Now, for whatever reason (something to do with their color-change plastic?) these three figures have their torsos glued shut. Getting them apart is a little tricky.

Gently pulling the legs and waist away from the torso, expose the circle in the base. Find the seam where the from meets the back of the torso, and slowly slip the X-acto into the seam. Go slowly, using enough pressure to separate the parts while being careful not to damage the figure. Slide the blade up to the arm join, then repeat on the other side. Next, carefully stab the tip of blade into the shoulder seam of the figure by the arm, facing the neck with the sharp end of the X-Acto. Again slowly move down the seam taking care not to damage the head when you reach the neck. You'll need to take note of Zartan's hood, move it out of the way if possible. Repeat on the other shoulder.

In theory, the torso should be separated... or at least the glue taken care of. Still holding the waist/legs away from the base of the torso, insert something thin and sturdy (like a screwdriver) in the base and gently begin to pry. With a little luck, you should have a neatly separated torso.

Good luck!

Martin

freakx2001

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »

wow thanks for this thread. I recently traded for some replacement Zandar arms, but was foiled when I realized he was glued together and wouldn't come apart. I just figured it was that version, not all of them... lol

Now I know what to do, and we all know.. knowing is half the battle!

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »

wow i never cam accross a glued zander, or zarana. Only the zartan, and 88 sgt slaughter X2. I never knew they glued them till last few years. Now i know how to fix them. I always put them over the steam off the kettle, that seems to make the glue let go. But make sure you have a oven mit on, or use tongs as i found out first hand, steam is hot!!! lol
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

Just for the record, I have had both glued and non-glued Zandar and Zarana figures.

GOLD5

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »

Thanks I will try one of these methods soon and report back. How long do you have to boil him for the boil and pop? It won't hurt the color change ability will it? (I remember that we used to 'break' those hypercolour T-shirts back in the day by putting them in the dryer.)

snowed_in

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »

Quote from: "GOLD5"
Thanks I will try one of these methods soon and report back. How long do you have to boil him for the boil and pop? It won't hurt the color change ability will it? (I remember that we used to 'break' those hypercolour T-shirts back in the day by putting them in the dryer.)

Someone once told me that it did not effect the colour change of his when he boiled it, but I never tried it myfelf.