JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: "Restoration" kit now available  (Read 10648 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
"Restoration" kit now available
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »

Hello all,

Like it or hate it, but be aware that "restoration" kit (AKA bootlegs repro parts) are now hitting our hobby for HISS drivers, Secto-Vipers and Alley-Vipers:

Ebay: The Black Major

80m8

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
Re: "Restoration" kit now available
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

Is there a way to see the difference between the real one and the one made by blackmajor not just for those accessories but also the weapons for cobra solider or crimson guard?

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »

Is there a way to see the difference between the real one and the one made by blackmajor not just for those accessories but also the weapons for cobra solider or crimson guard?

Setting them all on fire: the ones that melt first must be fake  ;D
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

At least he's not doing the Heavy Metal mic.

Besides, shipping to Canada is pretty high.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

80m8

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »

Setting them all on fire: the ones that melt first must be fake  ;D

thanks I will try and let you know the result :P

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

All jokes put aside from my end, repros become more distinguishable when you put them side by side with originals. But of course, at first instance, this is something that someone who already collected original items would seem to be better equipped to do.

The weight and feel of the plastic is usually a quick give away, and the color too, as the plastics used are different nowadays anyway. Obvious moulding defects such as detail loss, or an obvious difference in a Cobra chest logo are also good indications.

As far as I'm concerned about Black Major's products, most of his stuff looks almost the same on the outside, but there are other subtle differences such as, holes in the plastic parts for the screws, or a peg on the Bat's arm that is larger than an original's, or the Inside of a part.

Unless mistaken, my general impression is that BM has shown in the past to have made an effort to make his repro stuff different from originals. So with time, you should be able to tell them apart from eachother. 

2 + 2 = 22

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

I don't have a problem with it.
Anything that adds to people's interest or revitalizes the hobby is a good thing. Repros can help people display their collections with more pride.
The only people who usually complain are those that fear that the monetary value of their collection is somehow lessened. But if you are using toys as your investment portfolio, you need a new business plan...
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »

At least he is letting people know they are customs/bootlegs unlike other listings that pass them off for originals.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

At least he is letting people know they are customs/bootlegs unlike other listings that pass them off for originals.

Problem is when they change hands after that.  Then they go for sale online and you really have no idea whether it's the real mccoy or not.  Hence, why I hate repo accessories. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »

Problem is when they change hands after that.  Then they go for sale online and you really have no idea whether it's the real mccoy or not.  Hence, why I hate repo accessories.

I'm on the same side of the fence for the exact same reason.. bagged vintage vehicle drivers are going up in value these days..

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »

I'm happy with all the responses and the debate that it generates. That was my goal. But, I don't understand why this topic was moved to the For Sale section. I'm not the Black Major, I'm not selling these, nobody will bump this thread to promote this. That was not the goal.

Everytime something will be available at TRU, will the post be moved to the For sale section because TRU is selling something?

Everytime the club will release a new con set, will the post be moved to the For sale section because the club is selling something?

Sorry, it's not clear for me....

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »

As long as you're not teasing or lecturing others about them posting topics without any pics or a link... then I say let Joe Karma do its mysterious work on you my friend, and take it as it is, with a grain of salt. All in all, I like your topic, regardless if it landed here, so no need to ask the Why's. At least your thread didn't get deleted... ::)
2 + 2 = 22