JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe 2014 Convention Set: Zombie Hunters  (Read 9422 times)

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe 2014 Convention Set: Zombie Hunters
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »

Well, I'm not big on fan club stuff mainly because it is always insanely expensive and often out of reach for the average collector, which is antithetical to what a collectors club should be. Mind you, I am very happy to have my Oktober Guard set from a couple years ago. The collectors club is such a double edged sword. Anyway, I say this merely to explain why the zombies make me happy. It's because I hate zombies! :) Never liked them, never will. So the fact that this set is zombies makes me happy because it means I won't have any interest whatsoever in trying to track anything down! So this just means I am not tempted to spend crazy $$, which is good.

I suppose it fits right in with various other outlandish stuff in GI Joe, like Cobra La, Serpentor, ninja BATS, etc. so it fits in the big scheme of things I suppose. But it's just not for me.

As for the 50th, well, I do think that it makes more sense for the 12" stuff to have the direct tie in to that, since ARAH didn't come until 1982. Sounds like the club has that covered particularly by including the 3 3/4 Colton as a nod to the modern era. Funny thing is, I have zero 12" era stuff and really zero interest in it other than as a historical connection to the 1982 line, but the 12" con set might be more appealing to me than the 3 3/4" con set at this point! Ironic.

Perhaps Hasbro proper will have something a little more directly tied in with the 50th with the 3 3/4 line in 2014, and maybe the club couldn't tread on that territory. Perhaps we'll find out in February. Just a thought.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »

The day they make a zombified likeness of Burgess Meredith as Golobulus, I will be rooting for Zombies all the way 8). And on a more serious note, a Nemesis "Immortal/undead" too would be great too (ref: Lt.Falcon vs Nemesis Immortal comic book 2-pack ).
2 + 2 = 22

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »

I'm not a zombie fan per se, either.....but I really dug the Zombie-Viper figure from a year ago, and I was quite intrigued by the proposed all-zombie wave that was shown .....was it at Joe Con??   
It's a good topical theme to do something with staid characters. Pursuit of COBRA was the same thing, placing various characters into different environments, but after that.........really what direction is there to go in that is really interesting or colourful?? Dinosaurs? Rebellious robots?  Aliens???
Zombies is it, I guess.

Oh, and it was just announced this afternoon by the Club that the 4" Joe Colton figure WILL be available outside of the 12" set, just lacking the stand and backdrop.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

i don't like zombies either (only thing i've ever really liked involving zombies was Return to Castle Wolfenstein and that was only about 20% zombies...) so i'm even less interested than usual (since i despise ME figures and only collect ARAH), the only thing is, I had decided to buy the con comics (only missing the 2008 one) and now i have to decide, do i get the 2014 one just to maintain the set or do i skip it since it's frigging zombies...?
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

silentdusty

• Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »

I've been ticked off at the club since the credit card debacle from a couple of years ago, merely because I was one of the victims that suffered from it. So I haven't renewed, nor will I ever renew. I also find it very elitist, seriously every figure they produce is at least $30 a piece, and that doesn't include shipping which is always ridiculous. Most Joe Collectors these days don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on figures at one time,(ie. $440 for non-club members for the 2014 Con Set). Additionally it's zombies, meh, and ECO warriors probably one of the WORST sub teams every created in it's neon glory, the only other thing that comes close is BF2000.
Silent Dusty

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

i don't like zombies either (only thing i've ever really liked involving zombies was Return to Castle Wolfenstein and that was only about 20% zombies...) so i'm even less interested than usual (since i despise ME figures and only collect ARAH), the only thing is, I had decided to buy the con comics (only missing the 2008 one) and now i have to decide, do i get the 2014 one just to maintain the set or do i skip it since it's frigging zombies...?

If it's just the comic, why not? Thats the completist in me talking...
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 02:02:48 AM »

that's basically what i keep thinking atm, put up with it and buy it just for the completeness...

flintfan1983

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 02:47:23 AM »

Yeeeeeeessssssss! 8)!!!!!!  I can't wait. i think its gonna b b.a. ...

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »

If it's just the comic, why not? Thats the completist in me talking...
Did you know that the con comic comes out later in comic shops in a slightly different version? I believe the main difference is the actual con comic acts as a program as well. And I think the comic shop version adds a couple dossiers as well. But if you're really just interested in the comic, you can probably get your local comic shop to order it for you. I have a couple from previous years, but I haven't bothered with them in a couple years. They don't fit the Marvel continuity, so I don't really care for them.

Here's a link to yojoe.com

http://www.yojoe.com/comics/fun-publications-convention-and-retail-comics/

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

yeah, i've got the 2009 'Diamond' retailer edition, the 2010 con edition, the 2011 and 2012 diamond editions and the 2013 con one.

the con editions have a program of events in, an FAQ about the con and the 'Diamond Edition' removes that and adds in usually 5/6 'profiles' which are basically the text from the filecard and a full-length character pic.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »

Huh. I'll be honest, I've been loosing a lot of interest in G.I.Joe lately. I've eyeballed my collection a few times and thought "I could sell this and probably pay off my mortgage".

This is exactly the thing that helps me break away.

I know Jon loves Zombies and that cool. For me they have only a small part of the Joe universe and that's because of the Toxo Zombies. A whole convention set retailing for $355 is way off the mark for me. This is the easiest pass for me ever.

I don't need it or want it. Vehicles sound like they will be rehashed vehicles with maybe some battle damage parts. I thinking the newer vamp will be one and it will probably cost $75.00.

The addition of the Joesph Colton with the 12 inch set is nice, but is that just an incentive to sell more 12 inch sets? Some die hard collectors needs one of everything, and that would include a new Colton figure.

If I'm right, then that's just another cash grab. Easy pass for me.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »

They're selling the Colton figure carded individually as well.

But yeah... the con sets are VERY expensive. G.I. Joe Club makes some very nice stuff, but make no mistake, they are a business and their M.O. is to make money just like any other. High priced items like this help subsidize their less successful ventures, like the 12" sets.

I don't blame people who aren't into the set. I'm gonna grab one, but only because this is *exactly* what I'm looking to get - zombie hunters and zombie cobras. If I can get a bagged set and unload the Eco Warriors to someone who wants them and doesn't like zombies, all the better.