Canadian Joe Con Section > Yearly CanJoeCon Discussion

Official 2014 Canadian Joe Con News

<< < (3/5) > >>

Jon S.:

--- Quote from: 5h4rK on February 04, 2014, 05:15:14 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I'll second this  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Sundance:
I'm so disappointed I'll never get to attend one of these and meet some of you guys who I have become matey with. I thank everyone for their involvement in the cons if only for my cool set of cards and my con comics.

and thanks again to the guys like pdaat who helped hook me up with the stuff.

ARROW:

--- Quote ---As for the brand overall, well, this has been an ongoing discussion throughout the Joe community. Seems Hasbro has no faith in it, which is a real shame. You'd think that with two recent relatively successful big budget movies and the 50th anniversary Joe would be on a high, but it feels like it is in one of its all-time lows. But the past 5 years or so have been so schizoid with the brand. I think they really need to find a new direction and focus everything on it rather than going to multiple directions and constantly pulling the plug after they just get started.
--- End quote ---

Blame the retailers, not Hasbro. And blame Paramount for the movie delay which killed the retailer interest in the Retaliation product and the brand.
Hasbro has apparently proposed all kinds of stuff for the 50th, and apparently none of it has interested any retailers.
Let's repeat that: Hasbro WANTS to unroll 50th anniversary stuff, but retailers have NO interest in carrying ANY of it.

Correction: Amazon Kindle has just today announced that GIJOE is one of the properties opened for their published fan-fiction thing.  Big whoop.  That MIGHT be the opening salvo in some kind of 50th Ann. Joe blitz leading up to Toy fair next week.....but don't hold your breath.
The interest otherwise from retailers just isn't there, and if retailers don't want to order product....Hasbro has no need to make any.

Everything that Hasbro has done over the past decade or so for GIJOE has languished on the shelves. While we think that something like POC was a hit.......it wasn't. Large amounts of it stayed on the pegs. Retailers both did not stock a lot of it (coming off the glut of ROC stuff) and it did not sell fast enough. Just like all the other GIJOE stuff. 

Like it or not, the deck is stacked against the brand and the retailers have no interest in playing fair with or having consideration for such a tiny amount of product.
GIJOE could vanish, it's trademarks could lapse and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference to Hasbro's bottom line.  It's a sentimental brand that is........quite frankly.......tired out and stale.

spiderpumpkin:
Sorry to hear the news. 

Driving to Hamilton from Minneapolis and attending the 2009 Canadian Joecon was a lot of fun, and one of the best vacations I've ever taken. 

I was looking forward to attending another convention and doing some more traveling in Ontario but now that's on hold.

Thanks for the great memories.

DPrime:
Ah, that's too bad. I only just moved back to Ontario last year, so I never got the chance to attend until now. :(

Well, who knows, maybe something can rise up and take its place, despite Hasbro not participating (frankly, I'm not sure we absolutely need that).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version