JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: And another one bites the dust......at least until next year.  (Read 5994 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile

So.......

http://forums.yojoe.com/news/141351-sideshow-collectibles-has-discharged-g-i-joe-least-now.html

While there is hope with the "possibility" of new offerings starting in 2015, I think that this is just another bit of writing on the wall.  The sad part is that they have done some amazing figures in the 12" scale.

However it seems like until recently when they did some big time discounts and freebies/grouping, you could get a lot of Joe figures on their site.

Personally I don't think we will see anything next year, or at best 1-2 items that they may have already begun working on to release. 

I really liked the line, but the cost just kept creeping up, seemingly almost with every new release.   If they could have found a way to keep the prices below $150 then I think it might have lasted a bit longer.  However at the $180-$200 price range they currently seem to have settled on?  No thanks.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: And another one bites the dust......at least until next year.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »

I loved this line for the most part and have a number of them, but did pick and choose. I'm not surprised at its demise. The price increases were enormous. Within a few years they went up 50%. Justified or not, that's hard for a collector to swallow.

Overall the line was very hit and miss. The most frustrating thing for me was how they handled the designs. Some were fantastic; Zartan, Baroness, Major Bludd, Rock'n'Roll. But some were questionable; Firefly and Destro. Firefly remains my biggest disappointment. While a cool looking figure it strayed way too far from the already awesome and character-defining v1 outfit that made the original figure so cool.

Sideshow was at their best when they stuck closer to the source material and they hit a few homeruns to be sure. I was really hopeful the line would continue and was looking forward to more figures. I could handle maybe 2 or 3 a year at the current prices, and would be choosy, but it would have been nice to see more.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

I agree that I think this line is done.  I think expecting a return after a hiatus is expecting more support than is really there.  I think any GIJOE product from now on will be tepid and half-assed. It's no longer a perennial brand at Hasbro, the design team has ( apparently) been disbanded, and there's no push to get a third movie made. There's more urgency to get something like Jem and the Holograms done first instead.

Yeah, Hasbro is REALLY standing behind GIJOE now ( dripping sarcasm).......so far behind that they've dropped down over the horizon, out of sight.

I have 6 of the sideshow figures, 4 COBRAs, 2 Joes........working on trying to get a v1 Snake-Eyes. 
I like all of them.  I have Firefly too, and honestly, he is one of my favs.  I built my COBRA Viper from loose parts, from various retailers........he's not 100% complete, but he's "Viper" enough for me.  The thing I dig about these figures is that they are NOT 100% takes on the original looks. I like the derivations, the changes made, the "upgrades", if you will.
I was lucky in acquiring mine.....I only paid full-price for one of them, the rest were less-than-retail for various reasons. They ARE expensive, and at least 25%+ over-priced--certainly for the early figures. The most recent ones are criminally over-priced.

But they are nice items.  For a few bucks more searching the after-market, it's easy enough to sweeten them up with other gear--grenades, more ammo mags, other bits of kit. Sideshow did a good enough job with the outfits and gear that you cab leave the figures as is, or go all out.
The sad thing is that trying to fill holes in a collection, or to jump on board this line right now will be a serious heart-attack to the wallet.  Unless someone is seriously Johnny-on-the-spot in finding any of these figures for good discounts, well.........you'll pay too much.
Just this afternoon, I saw the most recent Stormshadow figure ( V2) for $216, at a local store.
Ouch.
That's about $100 too much for me. I was into this hobby well before figures as kitted out as these sold for $50-$60, some 20 years ago.
Anything over $100-ish gives me a big pause, and by the sounds of it, does the same for a lot of others.

But I think this line is done.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »

and there's no push to get a third movie made.

Oh, really?

I don't know what you guys expect?... There's no toyline due to there being no cartoon or movie to support a line for a major retailer.

Major retailers set the standard for what toys will be bought nowadays. It's obvious. Walk down a toy aisle, and you'll see only currently produced TV/Movie/ etc brands lining the shelves.

In the case of Sideshow - why would they put out a line that most Joe fans don't support, with no tie-in to help promote them?... G.I. Joe isn't Star Wars, and never will be at that iconic level.

If you want to join the lemmings and bitch about how there's no Joe product on the shelves, and dump your collections and say "Screw this line", then why did you even bother to collect it in the first place?... You can enjoy a line of toys, etc without having to buy everything from it. I know people that HAD to have every figure and every variant... never understood the mentality of that. I don't own every Joe figure, or vehicle - and in truth, I trimmed my Joe collection down to what I LIKE from it, and that's it. I own no 25th, no movie figures, and no 12". I enjoy the hell out of G.I. Joe still. I can watch those cartoons and re-read those Marvel comics over and over - and enjoy them.

I don't read the new IDW stuff, and have no urge to do so.

I enjoy the live action movies for what they are - Blow up shit, action flicks. Seriously... Do you REALLY want to see a movie where a sailor is talking to his parrot all the time?

If everyone thinks Joe sucks now, then why not look to yourself to see what made it so enjoyable for you in the first place?

....and if Joe dies?... SO WHAT? Maybe it NEEDS a break.

My Little Pony, Star Wars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even Star Trek were all "DEAD" properties at one time.... how are they doing now, after taking a break?

Joe "died" before, then it got SUPER hot, and that's most likely when you guys all got back into it... it happens.

I'm tired of reading about people whining about it.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »

Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

I'm not whining about it, at least I'm certainly not intending too. I was being matter-of-fact.

If I have a complaint, it's that nothing has been done to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the brand, a milestone that other toy lines cannot often say. 
Oh, yeah.....there's some piddling 4" scale offerings coming out........from a part of the brand that ISN'T 50 years old. 
Instead, Hasbro wants us to celebrate the trademark of the brand.....
Wow.

Even Kirk Bozigian saw the irony in that....

For the rest of it........I'm really indifferent to it now.  I'm beyond complaining about what Hasbro does. They don't care, so why should I care......I mean, where's the INCENTIVE??
I'm more excited about what Marauder Gun-Runners is doing on their own than anything Hasbro is doing for GIJOE.  The movies are meh, the comics are awful, and the brand........well, it is tired.

That's okay too. 
Because I also still like what I have, there's still fun things to look forward to outside of what the brand is....there's still years of stuff ahead. I've been collecting Joes, as an adult, since 1985. I had the originals when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's. I'm still involved in it in some way, as a collector and I will be for a long time yet.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »

and there's no push to get a third movie made.

Oh, really?

I don't know what you guys expect?... There's no toyline due to there being no cartoon or movie to support a line for a major retailer.

Major retailers set the standard for what toys will be bought nowadays. It's obvious. Walk down a toy aisle, and you'll see only currently produced TV/Movie/ etc brands lining the shelves.

In the case of Sideshow - why would they put out a line that most Joe fans don't support, with no tie-in to help promote them?... G.I. Joe isn't Star Wars, and never will be at that iconic level.

If you want to join the lemmings and bitch about how there's no Joe product on the shelves, and dump your collections and say "Screw this line", then why did you even bother to collect it in the first place?... You can enjoy a line of toys, etc without having to buy everything from it. I know people that HAD to have every figure and every variant... never understood the mentality of that. I don't own every Joe figure, or vehicle - and in truth, I trimmed my Joe collection down to what I LIKE from it, and that's it. I own no 25th, no movie figures, and no 12". I enjoy the hell out of G.I. Joe still. I can watch those cartoons and re-read those Marvel comics over and over - and enjoy them.

I enjoy the live action movies for what they are - Blow up shit, action flicks. Seriously... Do you REALLY want to see a movie where a sailor is talking to his parrot all the time?

If everyone thinks Joe sucks now, then why not look to yourself to see what made it so enjoyable for you in the first place?

My Little Pony, Star Wars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even Star Trek were all "DEAD" properties at one time.... how are they doing now, after taking a break?

Joe "died" before, then it got SUPER hot, and that's most likely when you guys all got back into it... it happens.

If it sounds like whining, well....so what?

This is a discussion board is it not?  Not much to discuss, except the continual reduction of the brand from many angles.  We have good and bad days/periods where it seems like nobody wants to talk about anything positive.  Then it eventually turns around.  However this is the first big "hiatus" of the brand in the modern internet era.  (Sorry mid 90s don't count) and we have easier access to voice our opinion.  (Thanks to you especially Mike). 

Just like you are venting, I think most of us are also venting in certain ways.  Does it sound a little childish/short sighted to say I am losing interest?  Maybe, but it is how I currently feel.  I think it also helped to see that others were feeling the way I was feeling and put a voice to it.  Again, that may turn around soon, or it may not.

That being said, I am glad to see that they have added one more small scrap to the movie pile by announcing today that the third movie is tentatively scheduled for 2016.  So let's hope that comes to pass.  Although the sheer number of movies the Paramount announced for 2016 has to mean something is going to get bumped (Star Trek 3, Transformers 5, GI Joe 3, Ben Hur remake, Paranormal Activitiy 5, Hansel & Gretel 2, new Beverly Hills Cop.....man that is a lot for one year). 

Maybe well seem some movement on a director and script before the end of the year.  Because that is, honestly, the timeline needed to get pre-production started on a 2016 release date.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:30:17 PM by canprime »

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

I would hardly call the posts in this thread whining. Nobody in this thread "joined the lemmings" and said they're dumping their collection. In fact each post, while expressing disappointment, talked positively about the Sideshow figures. I know I certainly wasn't whining. Given that this thread was about the sideshow line, I was merely commenting on its demise.

Having said that I do agree with a lot of what you posted Mike, but one thing to note is new product, new media, new anything drives conversation. You said yourself, it also drives sales. So when there's nothing new, it's hard to drum up new discussion. As much as I love the Marvel comics and, like you, continue to re-read them and enjoy them, how many times can I talk about them on message boards? After more than a decade of talking Joe on message boards it tends to be the new stuff that grabs my attention. And since there's not been much new and positive to discuss lately, recent discussions have tended towards the negative. Tis the nature of message boards. They ebb and flow. Some folks will lose interest and some of us will continue to be interested for years to come, and as new media and new product comes back around, interest will rise again.

As to what I expect, I don't have much in the way of expectations. I have opinions on what Hasbro could do differently, but don't claim to have all the answers. But I think they're worthy of discussion. I would say I have more hopes for GI Joe than expectations. I'd be fine if GI Joe disappeared for a few years and came back re-invented and rejuvenated. I still have my comics and toys and I can continue to enjoy those.

Yo Joe!

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

I like cake    ???
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »

I like cake    ???
I also like cake, but as it has no media support, it appears to be doomed.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »

Good one.

This back and forth tussel these guys are talking about reminds me of when i was a we lad on the the school playground arguing with the other boys over who was gonna get witch g.i joe.

See we can still have fun with g.i joe even though they arn't going to be making any more.

And isn't that what the gi joe brand set out to do all those years ago. Bring us closer together. ( oh...oh,,,!@**BLAH%#@~...)
Sorry, i just trowed up in my mouth a little.
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""