JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: JoeCanuck Meet Planning Thread (Nov 16??)  (Read 14107 times)

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
JoeCanuck Meet Planning Thread (Nov 16??)
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »

Hey guys,

grunt 4 mvp brought it up and I think now is a good time to start talking about it. For months I've been waffling on what to do and I've realized it's best to just ask.

What are you guys looking for in a Joe meet? Here are some things we could do

1) Hang out at a restaurant and enjoy some drinks and eats
2) Rent out some party space and have a more mingly affair
3) Rent out a legion hall and set up tables for buy/sell
4) _________________ (write-in vote)

Any such event would be in Toronto. I'm inclined to start with #1 and based on attendance work our way up to #2. #3's not my bag, but if enough people are interested we could look into making it happen.

Anyhoo, post your comments and suggestions in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:30:19 PM by Jon S. »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: JoeCanuck Meet Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:06:32 AM »

I think we should start small, so #1 if most of the people are local, but if you have a majority that is from out of town (and I do mean WAY out of town, then we should strongly consider #2.

I'm against #3, and I know, I've participated as a vendor in local shows. If it's a small meet we want to do, then the last thing that our mind should be entertained with is the money aspect of it. We should just have fun, relax and get to know each other.

This should be a brotherhood/community gathering foremost. So going to a restaurant, play bowling, go kart racing, mini-golf, would be simple ideas to suggest to help us mingle.

2 + 2 = 22

GI.Suicide

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »

Beer and gi joes count me in!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »

Beer and gi joes count me in!

Beer, yes!
2 + 2 = 22

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

Id be down for #1 or 2, #3 can come later.  For a small group, just talking and trading amongst friends is a great way to start. 
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

I'd like anything that has a beer option.
There should also be a time set aside for trading and such too. Some people also might have made deals on the board and a meet up in person would save shipping costs.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »

I'd like us to have a friendly speed painting contest (if we go at least with no.2 that is). That is something that I never got to experience when going to a Joe Meet. No actual prizes needed, just some friendly fun, and we can actually have some cool things to show and tell here about it on the boards. If not a contest, another activity that would be great to cover on a thread here for everyone to see! Know what I mean?
2 + 2 = 22

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:39 AM »

There should also be a time set aside for trading and such too. Some people also might have made deals on the board and a meet up in person would save shipping costs.

Ahhhh. That's why you're so keen to have a meet!

I'd like us to have a friendly speed painting contest (if we go at least with no.2 that is). That is something that I never got to experience when going to a Joe Meet. No actual prizes needed, just some friendly fun, and we can actually have some cool things to show and tell here about it on the boards. If not a contest, another activity that would be great to cover on a thread here for everyone to see! Know what I mean?

If you've got spare parts to donate and some paints lying around, it shouldn't be too hard to put together!

I liked the bowling idea. Just an opportunity to hang around and talk Joe.

Does November 16 work for you guys?

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »

Thanks Jon S., November 16th doesn't work for me because I have the Montreal Toy Con on that Sunday, and I have a table. I'm realizing that after that for the rest of the year I will be booked with events and family obligations. So regardless of the date that you will all choose, I likely won't be able to make it unless I can plan a last minute escape to join you guys, depending of course of the time that you meet.
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »

Option 1 and 2 are Awesome.  I like the bowling idea too as not everyone wants to bowl can just hang out.   

If we go with the speed paint activity, it should be a BYOF affair just make the parts simple that we all should have them in our fodder bins.
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »

Bowling, nachos, chicken wings, etc... If I have to drive out an hour I can't really have any beers.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:19 AM »

Ahhhh. That's why you're so keen to have a meet!

Nah, I don't have any deals pending or anything. Just didn't want the board to die out.

I have some fodder I can donate to the speed painting (if there is one), but I don't have any paints.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!