JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: DO NOT got to G.I. Joes on Yonge street in Toronto.  (Read 9786 times)

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
DO NOT got to G.I. Joes on Yonge street in Toronto.
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:34:37 AM »

Or at least know what you are getting into.

**I originally posted this at Joecustoms.com, but I thought it might be more relevant to Canadians. Also, if anyone can name the toy shop that I was coming out of, I'd appreciate it, as I can't remember for the life of me what it was. They have network gaming and a basement full of models.**

I was visiting a old toy store on Yonge (near Wellsley)in downtown Toronto (I forget the name, but it's been there forever, same crappy figs at $10 each for the last 5 years..) On exiting, I saw a Gi Joe logo sign (Oldstyle script) hanging in a window across the street.

Interested, I climbed the four flights of stairs to get to the place. I was met by a fence with barbed wire on the top. There was a counter at the end with a guy dressed in fatigues. There was nothing else in the hall.

I walked up tp the counter and asked him, "Is this the G.I. Joe place?"

He nodded, and responded "yes".

I so I said, "Do you have any toys?"

He looked at me, and said, "Most clients like to bring thier own."

I was really unable to put his answer into a context I could understand. Why would anyone bring thier own toys to a toy shop? I was confused, and now, looking at the guy behind the counter for the first time, I notice that he's wearing a camo halter top.

I ask him, radiating perplexity, "What is this place?"

He responds: "A gay spa."

I don't remember what I said next, but I was stunned. I couldn't help thinking, how did it happen in the desire to purchase children's toys that I am somehow at the entrance of a gay spa? How did a G.I.Joe sign lead me to this?

I hoofed it back down stairs in a bit of a fog. Wondering how I might inform Hasbro of this sort of copyright infringement.

____

Dear Sirs,

In your efforts to defend the effort that you have made in establishing a worldwide brand for the Gi Joe name, you have gone to great lenghts to eliminate any references to the toy that might tarnish its image as a high quality childrens toy brand.

I might suggest to you, that the GAY SPA that is currently using your trademarked name and logo in downtown toronto might be inconsistent with this image. You may want to look into that.

_______

Now I have nothing against homosexuality or any other form of sexuality that doesn't involve children, former food or former people, but I really think that a line was crossed here. Mind you, anyone that I tell the story doesn't seem to be able to stop laughing long enough to take it seriously...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:16:04 PM »

This world is to free...and your story is a good example!

I once read a study by Carl Sagan the astrophysicist. He made some real interesting comments on a study he was involved in. This study involved rats. These rats were put into an artificial environment where they were always given enough food and water so that as their population would survive. The containment area was large enough to resemble a small ?rat city? with many small places to live and so on. The population of course grew rapidly and as it did the scientists made sure no rat would go without food. This ?rat society? grew to the point of a population density of a modern town?say like Toronto. Over this period the rats were monitored 24-7. Some startling things began to happen when the population began to feel cramp?and of course with lots of food and water only the rat?s society or culture was really affected.

Some of these points of interest were astonishing to me. The rats exhibited many changes in the normal text book behavior. First they fought and became territorial?this you would expect. Next many gangs seemed to form, and from time to time battles between these gangs erupted. Many females were gang raped. Many females abandoned their young even thought they were always able to get food. The second and later generation females seemed to be unable to tend to their young, as if the loss of their maternal instinct was being affected.  Cannibalism erupted?again a food source was always available. Next homosexuality becomes a common occurrence among the outsiders groups. Many rats became outsiders. This outsider had many behavioral problems never witness in rats before. Disease broke out even thought the environment was sanitary compare to rats usual natural environment. Some examinations also showed the brain size shrinking in the general populace.  This went on and on and by no means are these points the only ones to note. Now this was just a study on rats?but can you draw and conclusions with other mammals groups that live in this way?

Again I say our society is to free?to the point where I see digression a serious problem in our future?!!!

Especially when toy logos meant for children can be contorted to advertise sex! I say 'boo' on any exhibition of sex and the sex trade (which this homosexual brothel obviously is)!!

:lol: Does this count as my good dead for the day?

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 02:15:31 PM »

"I'm sorry, I'm an adult collector of toys, not a collector of adult toys."
Updated!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""

Why do I get the feeling that collectorman would have dealt with the situation much better than I did?

:chicken:

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 03:13:03 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
Quote from: ""Scramble""

Why do I get the feeling that collectorman would have dealt with the situation much better than I did?

:chicken:

Well, I can picture it going like this:

Collectorman: "Do you have any toys?"

Fatigues Guy: "Most clients like to bring thier own."

Collectorman: Cool! I'll go get my 2ft Black Dong!

(As he leaves and never goes back).
Mike

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 07:50:17 PM »

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long long time - I am sorry, but I was also unable to take your conern serious until after 15 minutes of side splitting laughter.

I think the shop you are talking about is called Planet Hobby - it is somehow connected to the shop in Square One, Mississauga  by the same name (are the owners brothers)
It may also have been named at one time Grey Legion, they got in trouble with the word Legion in their name by the Canadian Legion and later changed it to Grey Region, I think they may have also at one time in the late 80's early 90's had a comic shop in the mall on Upper James & Mohawk? in Hamilton that now has a Zellers in it (that is if that mall is still there)
Or all of the above history might be complete crap that I have been mistaken about for the last 5 or 6 years.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:07:07 PM »

Grey Region! That's it! AK gets a cookie!

Don't bother going there either.  :?

- Raps

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »

Some stories about Grey Region.

My friend (who will remain nameless for his protection) used to work there. One day he was asked to wash the walls outside the store. Then asked to cleaned the toilet. Then immediately fired. Nothing like making your employees do your dirty work right before you can them. A real sign of respect.

The owner (Mike) also used to hire on attractive female employees, only to ask them for sexual favours, then fire them once they refused. Once again... respecting his employees.

I do go into the store occasionally, but I haven't spent a dime there in the last 5 years and I doubt I ever will again.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 11:46:19 AM »

Just for the record, I'm NOT that Mike..... :shifty:

And the Grey Region, Legion, etc. Place was in Mountain Plaza at Upper James and Fennell - and it smelled.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 01:05:21 PM »

Yeah. Sorry about the confusion. Different Mike. Total scumbag.

There were actually three Grey Regions in Toronto. One on Queen St, one on Yonge St. (the odious one) and one in Mississauga. I think there's just the one on Yonge St. now.

You can buy CORPS figures for $9.99 each. Loose. No accessories. Or broken Transformers for $14.99. What a bargain!

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 01:20:17 PM »

That's easily one of the funniest stories i've read.  :lol:
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
And the Grey Region, Legion, etc. Place was in Mountain Plaza at Upper James and Fennell - and it smelled.

Everything in that mall smells. :|

And Jon's assessment of the place is %100 correct. Grey Region has a single glass case of 80's toys. I notice however that they managed to sell the $40 loose Indian Skyjumper that I picked up for $5 MOC at smalljoes. :roll:

- Raps