JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Rusted SCrews In Vintage Figures  (Read 1795 times)

rentyn

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Rusted SCrews In Vintage Figures
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:14:39 AM »

Hello everyone,

I recently began putting new o-rings in many of my vintage figures that were getting loose. I have a few figures that have rusted screws that became stripped when I try to take them apart. What can I do to get these apart? Also where can I but extra screws for them?

Cheers, Michael Dane Gemus aka Rentyn
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Rusted SCrews In Vintage Figures
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

I have had luck with apply a massive amount of WD40 and then leaving the figure over night and really let it soak in.  Then use a screw driver that is 1 size larger (I picked up a great set in a red and black case at Home-Depot) and apply as much pressure as you can - stop if you are starting to strip the screw- and repeat the WD40 step.

I have also had to drill the tip of a screw off - I only had to do it once, but it worked and I caused no damage to the figure.  I could imagine that if I had to drill another screw out - the outcome would probably be worse.

The two tips I have been told to try that have never worked for me.
- Use Coke to damage the screw furthers - I don't see how this would ever work.
- Use a crazy clue on the end of the screw driver and let it dry connected to the screw - if this step ever works, I am guessing WD40 would as well, and you wouldn't have to use glue.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:37:12 AM »

Quote from: "akpayne"
I have had luck with apply a massive amount of WD40 and then leaving the figure over night and really let it soak in.  Then use a screw driver that is 1 size larger (I picked up a great set in a red and black case at Home-Depot) and apply as much pressure as you can - stop if you are starting to strip the screw- and repeat the WD40 step.

This is what I do as well.   

As for extra screws, I just use doubles and take the screws off.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »

I have had lots of luck with the wd40. Only had to drill out 1 screw, which did infact damage the figure. But oh well had 3 of it anyway. As for screws i do have a few that i got in a parts lot off ebay i have about a hundred of them. I used to take them out of the Corps figures, they are the same
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.