JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage vehicles value vs. 25th ann. vehicles  (Read 3543 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage vehicles value vs. 25th ann. vehicles
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »

Hey guys,

I didn't read a topic on this before, but I want to hear your comment about that. The 25th ann. figs are different from the vintage. You may like them or not (I'm still on the vintage figs) but they have a different size and mold. BUT, the 25th ann. vehicles are pretty much the same as the vintage one, with the characteristics of been:
  • improved,
  • not expensive,
  • complete,
  • in box,
  • with filecard,
  • brand new (no wear, no stress mark, etc.),
  • not broken,
  • not rusty,
  • not dusty from storage.

Why would you pay $20 for a vintage RAM, $40 for a vintage VAMP, $80 for a vintage Rattler when you can get them half price for a very very very similar version?

I sold pretty much all my vehicles 5 years ago... I still have a Skyhawk, APC, ASP, Flak and some SNAKEs. Now, with the new 25th ann. line, I bought a lot of vehicles for more than half price I sold my vintage.

Do you think the price of vintage vehicles will (or already) collapse? Are you scared to see the next new vehicules Hasbro will introduce on the market? I know, collecting toys in more than an acquisition cost. But when you paid 1 year ago a Stinger Jeep $60, and you now know you will be able to get a brand new one very soon for what... $19.99? it is sometime frustrating...

What do you think?

Martin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage vehicles value vs. 25th ann. vehicles
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »

I dunno. So far I only have the Air Chariot and Armadillo from the new line, but without a doubt the build quality is far improved from my previous three chariots and my  Slaughters Marauders' Dillo remake. The plastic on these is much nicer than any Joe vehicle I've bought since probably 1987.

I dunno if you had the misfortune of buying a 97 Rattler in Joe stripes? That is one of the worst reproductions ever and falls apart if you look at it sideways. It and its counterparts in those days were by no means a replacement for real 80s Joe rigs. But these new ones...I think I may even prefer them if they are all as solid as the two I have. At the end of the day, maybe prices will lower for out of the box 80s makes, but I think MIB stuff shouldn't lose any value.

I don't collect Joes for anything but the fun of it and always play with them so I am definitely happy to have a chance to get high-build-quality models of 80s classics. Of course being in Canada I don't have much of an option as of yet.

An aside about collecting the 25th line...I was a purist with Joes and never collected anything but classic style 3 3/4 figures (meant skipping several years this decade) but these new ones really are worth another look, I bought a Major Bludd to put on my desk and from there, well...I had to get them all (or die trying). Hopefully you'll find some you like, they are the best series of Joes since probably 1985 if you ask me.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »

I collect the vehicles and I prefer to have the originals - however I am selective on how much I pay.
Would I sell my WHALE... No.  I paid about $65 for it 6 or 7 years ago, and it is in great shape with sticker sheet seperate and I hae a good looking box to go along with it.
Would I be happy if Hasbro released a new one for $29...yes and I would buy it on the spot.  I could actually play with it without having to worry about the pastic being brittle and breaking.
The same goes for my vintage Conquest and Rattler, my vintage are on display, but the new ones are seeing some action.

I think the same argument goes for original accessories and reprodcution/re-released ones,  I am very iffy purchaseing loose complete vintage figure now, as the weapons might not original.

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:39 AM »

I think the vintage vehicles will always have their place, especially if they are designed to carry more figures via foot pegs.  The new 25th versions of those vehicles have narrower foot pegs for the 25th figures and therefore the vintage figures aren't compatible.  That alone would keep something like the '85 AWE Striker in business for example.

However the new vehicles have some very nice improvements and like you said, are unbroken, brand new, no dust for maybe half the price of their vintage counterparts - you can't really go wrong there.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
[
Do you think the price of vintage vehicles will (or already) collapse? Are you scared to see the next new vehicules Hasbro will introduce on the market? I know, collecting toys in more than an acquisition cost. But when you paid 1 year ago a Stinger Jeep $60, and you now know you will be able to get a brand new one very soon for what... $19.99? it is sometime frustrating...

What do you think?

Martin

I think for the short term the price of vintage vehicles might see a slight dip but in the long run they will keep their value.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »

This has happened with Star Wars in past years.

While the value of "SOME" vintage vehicles may drop in price, it's not purely due to the new ones coming out. Most collectors of GI Joe have been doing it for years now, and have the majority of the original vintage vehicles coming out in the 25th line.

The demand for vintage items has dropped from any line that has had a relaunch (Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, etc).

So while some people can't see the point in paying more for a vintage item, I 100% can. The new stuff might be more durable - but I'm not playing with them, so what do I care?
The new stuff may have a fancy box - but it's not the vintage box that I remember.

As I've said before, I love the 25th line, and think Hasbro did an amazing job with it. But nothing can replace the original items, or the memories I have associated with them.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »

i agree with mike on that for me it is all about the memories i grew up playing with the. When my daughter was about 8, I had a hard time keeping her hands off them too lol. My 2 year old son is now saying gijoe to, so it wont be long before he wants his own. The vintage ones will stand the test of time and had durability to them should the kids get them and play with them. I like the look and detail of the 25th line but to me i don't think they were really geared toward kids playing with them, they were sculpted in my opinion for us collectors that just want to display them moc or loose.  the good thing about the new ones for me is that i can get them as they are coming out, and i can keep them moc this time around.  ;D
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

I get a memory-lane vibe from our 25th line...but I don't have any of my classic Joes any more (they are all in storage thousands of miles away). So these are giving me a lot of joy, and it's fun to re-build a whole collection in such nice quality. When I do get my Joes out of storage, I don't see why the screw-backs can't play with the 25ths. The vehicle peg thing did occur to me, but I always liked to give the guys seats if I could, anyway.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »

I like the new stuff better than the old stuff, but I couldn't imagine buying a new Vamp, when my old one is pretty much complete and perfect.

I've been trying to complete a perfect untarnished rattler for years, and now I don't have to bother. I don't know what to do with my 98% complete one now.

I can't imagine things like the Firebat and the Rattler not taking a hit in vintage pricing. They're available again - and I think that the pure collectors that need vintage everything are a pretty small percentage of the actual fandom.
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

If I have the choice, I'll opt for the new ones.  There are some vintage ones that I just can't and probably won't find re-released - but if they ever do, they'd be my preference.  I like the detail in the new releases and knowing that I'm the first person to open that box and enjoy it. 

In a perfect world, I'd be able to afford both!  The vintage ones have an air of nostalgia that I find hard to resist

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »

I have a vintage Rattler and X-30 in good shape so I traded the Target Rattler I had and only kept the SlipStream figure from the Target X-30. 

For the smaller vehicles I like having both to put together for a now and then type of thing and see the variations between the two.  But I still love the old versions for the vintage appeal and will still acquire some that I want/need.   I don't mind paying more for the old if it's in good shape.  Depending on budget. The 25th run does give collectors an option to do either and both collecting new and/or vintage. 

As far as value for old, I don't think it will affect the price too much.  Just ask any 12" GIJoe or Action Force collector out there.  They'll still pay big bucks for the original Joe even though Walmart just released a carbon copy at half the price.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:08:14 PM by Realboss »
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »

Quote from: "Realboss"

As far as value for old, I don't think it will affect the price too much.  Just ask any 12" GIJoe or Action Force collector out there.  They'll still pay big bucks for the original Joe even though Walmart just released a carbon copy at half the price.

Exactly what I was thinking Bryce. I had a long reply about that but that is one of my future news letter stories I've been chipping away at so I just left a quick response in this thread.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.