JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Anybody digging the new comix?  (Read 6522 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Anybody digging the new comix?
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »

Just wondering if any one has thoughts on the new series.  I know it's a reboot, but I'm finding it a fairly good read, and the art is nicely done.  IDW has some big shoes to fill, but so far, I'm willing to give them a chance to find their footing.  In a related note, I picked up the the two trades they've released under the name Classic Gi Joe that reprints the Marvel run.  It's cool reading all the old stories, all on nice glossy stock.  Volumes three and four are coming out soon too.  Has anyone picked those up?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:17:21 PM by Radio Guy »
Wherever you go, there you are.

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody digging the new comix?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »

Yep, I'm collecting all three of the new series, the movie prequel mini-series and the classic TPBs.   I love it all so far.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Eradicator

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »

I have picked up all of the new stuff as well. I think it is great so far. I also picked up the first two volumes of the original series. Good stuff. I like being a kid again.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »

The only one I'm not sold on is the main title. It started so strong in GI Joe #0 with a nicely paced infiltration storyline that felt very military and very GI Joe. It featured a nice mix of characters and ended with what I thought would be the focus of the plot: Who or what is Cobra? But then three issues later and we've barely left the Pitt, barely met any characters, have to put up with a Mary Sue named Brainstorm. On top of that, it turned into Destro trying to answer the question "who or what is GI Joe?" I'm glad we're getting a few stories outside the Pitt, but the pace is killing me.

GI Joe Origins impressed me. It had a modern feel mixed with the Marvel series feel. The vet that picks up Duke and Scarlett was what a new character should be: a backgrounder that adds life and flavour not one that steals the spotlight.

GI Joe: Cobra is amazing. It's exactly what a tertiary book should be. It focuses on less prominent characters -Chuckles and Jinx- and helps flesh out the world. I really like how Tomax and Xamot have completely different personalities. If you're trying to sell IDW GI Joe on an old fan, this is the one to do it with.

Finally, the Duke movie preview was awesome. It has been so long since I read a good self-contained story. It was very military, made Duke more human and more interesting than ever before, and even got me attached to the other members of his squad. Even if you think the movie will suck, you will enjoy these comics.
Updated!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »

Thanks for the skinny Scramble.  I was on the fence about a couple of those titles.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

jamarmiller

• View Profile
    • http://www.bloodforthebaron.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »

not reading them as I lost interest in it when the continuity was rebooted, I do know they got the best people working on it and IDW always puts out quality stuff
LONG LIVE THE RED SHADOWS

Lt Storm

• View Profile
    • http://canadaseliteheadquarters.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

I'm the opposite of Scramble, I like the main title best and the art is top notch.  There's been tons of Joe's seen already just look in the background.  Origins IMO is just meh, I expected better, not digging the story or the artwork.  Cobra is decent, looks to have an interesting story behind it even though I'm not a big Chuckles fan.
When life gives you lemons...trade them in for oranges, they are much better for you.

thatcarlguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »

I think I like Origins best. Especially for the art. The main title is the weakest of the three I think. I got bored part way through on issue and set it down and read something else. The robots controlled by Destro didn't really do it for me. I'll keep reading though. I think they're building towards something so I want to give it the chance.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:48 PM »

Quote from: "Lt Storm"
I'm the opposite of Scramble, I like the main title best and the art is top notch.  There's been tons of Joe's seen already just look in the background.  Origins IMO is just meh, I expected better, not digging the story or the artwork.  Cobra is decent, looks to have an interesting story behind it even though I'm not a big Chuckles fan.

The art is definitely better than the writing. And while there have been some background cameos, very few people have done anything. Sure Rock'n Roll unloaded on one of those robots, but no one effectively did anything until Brainstorm (or BS). It's just not enough for me. Not so bad that I'll drop the title yet, but I'm certainly not getting all I want from it.
Updated!

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »

I just started reading these and I'm blown away!

The standard storyline is average.  I like it being a reboot - now I get to see a modern take on a classic angle without it going TO THE EXTREEME like every other series.  I especially like that people are getting shot up and dying - makes the Joes seem a little more mortal and believeable.

GI Joe: Cobra - this is hands-down the best comic I've read in a long, long time.  (Yo) Joe or no Joe, the neo-noir take this series is following is pure aces.  The art is a little weak, in some of the action sequences, but the writing and narration is golden.  I've never been the biggest fan of Chuckles, but he shines in this story.  It's a fantastic espionage, spy-thriller and secret-agent story that fits perfectly into the Joe mythos and Chuckles' character.  I can't say enough good things about this book - I hope they keep it up for a long, long time.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »

Thoroughly enjoying Origins and Cobra.

I generally like Chuck Dixon's writing, but the story seems awfully slow so far.  Issue 6 was a little better.

I liked the GIJoe movie Duke issue - it seemed somewhat reminiscent of the old series.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Eradicator

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 10:56:42 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
I just started reading these and I'm blown away!

The standard storyline is average.  I like it being a reboot - now I get to see a modern take on a classic angle without it going TO THE EXTREEME like every other series.  I especially like that people are getting shot up and dying - makes the Joes seem a little more mortal and believeable.

GI Joe: Cobra - this is hands-down the best comic I've read in a long, long time.  (Yo) Joe or no Joe, the neo-noir take this series is following is pure aces.  The art is a little weak, in some of the action sequences, but the writing and narration is golden.  I've never been the biggest fan of Chuckles, but he shines in this story.  It's a fantastic espionage, spy-thriller and secret-agent story that fits perfectly into the Joe mythos and Chuckles' character.  I can't say enough good things about this book - I hope they keep it up for a long, long time.

I agree, the comic is really well done. It is my favourite of the 3 series'.