JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: NFC reviews: Canuckmeet '07 Shiver  (Read 3487 times)

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
NFC reviews: Canuckmeet '07 Shiver
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »

Shiver

Man, where do I start?  The appeal of the figure starts with the spirit of why it was made and the exclusivity of it, it's one of the most personal and rare Joe figures in the line.  And its most definitely part of the line, the character first perfectly within the mythos, and the figure's design is superb. I missed out on Black Ice, but I'm damn proud to own a Shiver figure though.  I couldn't make the '05 or '06 Meets but taking this bad ass mofo home as a momento of '07 was a semi-profound experience for me.   

But anyway, onto the review, eh?  In short, there's nothing bad to say about the figure.  I hate to sound like I'm just heaping blind praise on the thing but I can't find a thing to criticize really.  For a homemade figure painted by hand, put together from casted parts, and a recipe of lots of obscure parts, there's stuff Hasbro's put out that wasn't this cool.

The character is friggin' sweet too.  Cobra has agents specializing in many fields of subterfuge, itelligence, destruction, and freelance mayhem.  But they don't have anyone on the roster dedicated solely to gethering harmful insider information from INSIDE the compounds.  Baroness collects intel reports sent from the field and Firefly only sneaks into the compound/office/lab/motorpool to implode or explode it. 
But not Shiver.  No no, this guy creeps into the installation from the roof or the basement to listen to the people of importance talk about their plans or to make his own blueprints of weakspots in construction...  And should he be found out?  There's still no stopping him, it just means the ass of the poor bastard who made that discovery.

The parts told make this guy - head of Desert Scorpion, torso and waist of Aero Viper, arms of Countdown, legs of Nullifier - are anything but conventional as well.  Nevermind the archives at Yojoe and the Funskool takes on 2 of those figures, both of which managed to almost keep said figures on the radars of dedicated collectors... Those figures are all largely overlooked by customizers in general so mining them to make Shiver was a great move.  I've SEEN customs that did use each of those things (my own General Rey employed parts of the Nullifier including his boots) but I'm impressed by how cohesive it all is.

This figure absolutely RULES!  I warned y'all this was going to come off as mindless poetic flattery but I literally just couldn't find anything to bitch about or nitpick on this guy. 

Just glad I was there in Hamiltion this weekend, but Shiver's a rad bonus.

:timbits:   THE Mike would need help with the exclusives then......  :shifty:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
Re: NFC reviews: Canuckmeet '07 Shiver
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 11:12:45 PM »

awsome review NFC. yes i think this will grow and grow and be the next joe con. as i know you and me and slpoy will be there.
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »

Fanboy.  ;D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Shiver, NFC. I always like reading reviews and it's especially cool seeing the Hamilton exclusives getting this kind of attention.
Updated!

ViperDave

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »

Hawk... is that you?  :lol:

Yeah, the Shiver figure rocks. He's a great addition to Cobra in general, but more importantly, fleshes out Cobra's severly lacking Arctic roster.