JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review of Attack on the GI Joe Pit  (Read 3266 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review of Attack on the GI Joe Pit
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »

Last night I went to TRU and picked up the "Attack on the Pit" set.  The set includes 5 figures and a vehicle for $24.99 American.  The figures are all repaints but still, considering that if you were buying 5 figs and a vehicle for full retail prices you'd pay over $55.00 American.  Anyway on to the review.

First up is Duke.  Duke uses the lower legs and flak jacket from the "Desert Ambush" version.  The vest and pants have a new camo scheme, tan background with reddish-brown and dark green camo.  The camo actually looks very, very nice, and made me wish that they had released the first figure with this scheme.  Instead of the long-sleeved BDUs, Duke's wearing a dark green undershirt with sleeves rolled up at the forearms.  Duke has no helmet and is carrying one of the now-ubiquitous bullpup rifles and one of the .45s with the underslung laser sight.  Actually, all three of the Joe figures come equipped with the same weaponry, which I'll just get out of the way right now.

Next up is Ripcord.  Ripcord's wearing the Joes' new powder-blue camo scheme on his lower legs, with a long sleeved black shirt up top.  He comes equipped with Sgt. Stone's vest...while the vest was one of my favorite accessories on Sgt. Stone, on Ripcord it looks WAY too big. 

The final Joe figure is the Pit Trooper.  Pit Trooper is actually Zartan, repainted with a green/brown/gray paint scheme.  Even the head is the same as the "disguise" head included with Zartan.  The only difference is now he's wearing gloves and has short sleeves.  On the humorous side, I can't help but tell you that when I took him out of the package, the "skirt" part of his uniform was turned and the molded pistol on it was positioned in a very um...awkward position.  Let's just say that an accidental discharge would be a very, very bad thing.  Fortunately the skirt was easily turned to its proper position.

On the Cobra side we have a straight repaint of the Neo-Viper.  If you already have a Neo-Viper, this is simply another one.  Even the accessories are the exact same...backpack with pegs for the two rifles to snap on to.  You either love these guys and you look forward to having another one or you hate them.

The second Cobra trooper is somewhat interesting.  A new character...the Neo-Viper officer.  NVO appears to be Neo-Viper Commando's body with web gear and what appears to be a scarf.  I really like this guy's appearance, but there is one flaw.  While I'm all for working holsters, his holster is under his left arm, and interferes with the arm's movement somewhat.  NVO comes with the same pistol several of the other RoC figures have come with, and the MP5-style submachine gun that came with Elite-Viper.

The final piece of the package is a repainted Mole-Pod.  I did not get the first Mole-Pod, and I'm glad I didn't.  In my opinion, this is the worst GI Joe vehicle EVER.  Worse than the neon explosion vehicles, worse than the Rat, IMO this thing just flat sucks.  It's small, it has somewhat minimal detail, and oddly enough the steering wheel is offset to the right even though it's a one person vehicle.  The drill on it spins when you roll it which is kind of neat, but the drill looks dumb because it has a missile stuck in the end of it.  So yeah, I really, REALLY hate this thing.  One of the worst GI Joe vehicles ever.

So is this set worth the $24.99?  Ehhhhhh.  I kinda like Duke, Pit Trooper, and Neo-Viper Officer.  I don't mind the Neo-Vipers so I kinda like getting another regular one.  Ripcord I could do without.  The Mole Pod, well, you already know my feelings on that one.  One of my biggest complaints with this vehicle is the accessories.  I hate the bullpup rifles, and I really wish the Joes came with more varied accessories.  So while I was excited to get this set, I'm less than thrilled with it now that I have it.  And if it is indeed $49.99 Canadian, well, you guys are getting screwed and should send every one of those sets back.

A few pics http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Figure%20Reviews/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Attack on the GI Joe Pit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »

49.99 in Canada before tax.

It is just OK. Since I didn't suppose I'd run into it again I bought it. 3/5 from me. I like the Viper Officer a lot and Pit Trooper is more useful than Zartan was. The other guys are a waste, and the vehicle is just alright, and at least I didn't buy the boxed version of it yet. The colors on this version seem pretty good.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »

Be nice to the Mole Pod.

Just to clarify, Ripcord uses Breaker's body, right?
Updated!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »

Duke is made of Breaker's torso and vest, Desert Duke's head and legs and 25th Anniversary Duke's "fixed" arms.

Ripcord uses Breaker's entire body, Ripcord's head and Sgt. Stone's vest.

The PIT Commando uses the Zartan body and capped head, and Sgt. Stone's arms.

Neo-Viper... is same as always.

Neo-Viper Officer is the same base figure as the Neo-Viper, right down to the color scheme, but using the MARS Officer's gear.

That's pretty much what the set is.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
Be nice to the Mole Pod.

Just to clarify, Ripcord uses Breaker's body, right?

I KNEW I had seen that body before but I couldn't place it. 

And no I'm not gonna be nice to the Mole Pod.  I'd rather play with the Rat.  And yes, I admit to owning one, that I got back in the day.  I played with it a LOT too.

Didn't the FOOT Clan in Ninja Turtles use similar devices to the Mole Pod?
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
The final piece of the package is a repainted Mole-Pod.  I did not get the first Mole-Pod, and I'm glad I didn't.  In my opinion, this is the worst GI Joe vehicle EVER.  Worse than the neon explosion vehicles, worse than the Rat, IMO this thing just flat sucks.

Well said Olyeller, well said. Sorry guys I'm one of the guys who really really wanted this vehicle amongst all of the Alpha's and got overtotally disappointed after buying it, so in my opinion, Olyeller was just beeing fair to it :lol:
2 + 2 = 22

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »

I bought it on 30% off for the figures. 3 would have paid full price for gives me 2 Neo Vipers for about $4 and I can give the mole pod to my daughter. Plus the little sound stage packaging is pretty cool.

I hate the mole pod thing. Horrible horrible vehicle. At least the Rat could be played with - what are you going to do with an underground drill, dig a hole and bury it? 

Actually that's not an entirely bad idea.

:chicken:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:17:52 AM by Raptor »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"