JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review of City Strike Snake Eyes!  (Read 3928 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review of City Strike Snake Eyes!
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »

Time for yet another Ol Yeller review, and today I'll review one of the most highly anticipated Rise of Cobra figures yet...City Strike Snake Eyes.

This figure is so highly anticipated for quite a few reasons.  He's sculpted after the Resolute version of Snake Eyes.  He comes loaded with accessories.  He's a great looking figure, and the buzz around him has been building since pictures first surfaced.  Plus he's almost impossible to find, both because almost everybody wants him and because most stores' shelves are still clogged with early RoC wave product, making the new waves much more scarce.  After taking stock of how much time and gas I was wasting driving all over my city looking for him, I finally decided to just order him off the 'Net for, oh, 3 times retail price.  Hey, I really wanted this figure, I don't really want any others out of this wave, and the Mustang isn't the most fuel-efficient vehicle out there, so I figure I'm actually saving myself money in the long run.

On to the review.  Well, to start with, if you read my review on the Snake Eyes from the Target-exclusive Rescue Mission pack, you already know most of the details.  They have the same body and many of the same accessories, with a different headsculpt and a different paint scheme (solid black for RM SE and black and three different grays for CS SE).  The excellent sculpting details on the figure are much more easily seen on City Strike SE thanks to the different paint scheme.  The new headsculpt is very, very nice, and calls to mind what may be the best combination of Snake Eyes as a Ninja/Commando yet.  It's dark gray with lighter gray goggles.  There are vent holes in the face mask similar to the very first '83 SE figure.  The lower half of the back of the head from the goggles to the jawline (up to the chin of the facemask) is painted black.  I think this contrast looks very nice, and helps set off the excellent headsculpt.

For accessories, like the Rescue Mission SE, City Strike SE has a sword and sheath, small assault rifle, trench knife, pistol, small backpack, and climbing spikes.  City Strike SE has the added bonus of the awesome assault rifle we first saw with Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, as well as what is called the "XN-2 Ascension Pack" on his filecard.  This is a backpack with wrap-around harness that has a string run through it with grappling hooks on both ends.  The idea is to attach the hooks on opposite sides of a chasm and have SE zip along the line while strapped in his harness.  It works well enough and the dual grappling hooks are easy to attach to obstacles.  There are knots tied near each end of the string to prevent the backpack from sliding all the way to the grappling hook.  The only complaint is that the string is pretty short, so Snake Eyes isn't gonna be zipping over a very wide chasm.  This is of course easily changeable with some string of your own...but anyone who's ever stored stringed items knows how they like to find each other and become hopelessly entangled...which I think is why Hasbro decided to go with the shorter string.

This is indeed a wonderful figure, worthy of all the buzz.  Considering that prices on RoC figures have been dropping here in the states ($5 each at Wal-Mart now!) along with Christmas approaching, hopefully the excess inventory will start to clear out and we can get some of these newer waves on the shelves.  That, or there's always the Internet.  But this figure is worth finding or shelling out more than retail for, because he's that good.  This is one of the best Joe figures yet, and makes me want more Resolute Joes.  It also makes me excited about the future of the Joe line.  Maybe this Rise of Cobra stuff won't be so bad after all.

Pics: http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Figure%20Reviews/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Silverhawk

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Review of City Strike Snake Eyes!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »

He's a cool figure. My favorite is still the all black commando version from the 25th lineup.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »

My two favorite Snake-Eyes of the new style are the ROC version, as long as you swap its head with the Paris Pursuit/Rescue Mission one, and the 1985-styled one from the 2009 Joe 5-pack.

The 1989-styled one would probably qualify, but I don't own it per se so I can't judge...
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:14:28 AM »

Quote from: "Jay"
and the 1985-styled one from the 2009 Joe 5-pack.

You like that particular one better than the original 25th single-carded one, the one in the pyramid of darkness dvd set and the hall of heroes version?   

The reason I ask is the '09 5-pack is the only version of that figure that I own so far.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:55:17 AM »

Quote from: "Inzane"
You like that particular one better than the original 25th single-carded one, the one in the pyramid of darkness dvd set and the hall of heroes version? 
Yes. 25th Single-carded is just the 82-styled one with a new head and grenade belt/actual belt in one piece.
Pyramid of Darkness one has a bad head with a lopsided jaw, oversized hands and 82-style Snake-Eyes's torso, to say nothing of the purple tint he's molded in.
HOH uses the Pyramid of Darkness assembly, but with the 25th single carded version's head and hands (giving him gorilla arms because of the wristbands molded with the hands).

The 2009 5-pack version uses most of the DVD pack figure, but with a new slender torso, new forearms and hands and a new head, getting rid of the oversized hands and the awful jaw on the head.
It's just the perfect representation of the iconic 1985 look.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

rob0213

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesector12.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »

Great review.  I love this figure.  I'm glad to see that after all this time they can stil make a cool SE fig.