JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review - RoC Night Raven  (Read 2546 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review - RoC Night Raven
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »

So, you've seen the clearance sale at Zellers for the Rise of Cobra Night Raven, and while you've passed on previous RoC vehicles, you're wondering if the RoC Night Raven might be worth picking up?  Well, I'm here to help you make your decision.

The original Night Raven was a wonderful Joe toy.  Not only was it huge, it included a LOT of neat features like the retractable landing gear and the removable drone.  Plus, it was based on the SR-71 Blackbird, one of the greatest aircraft of all time.  The new RoC Night Raven is loosely based on both the original Night Raven and a modern interpretation of the SR-71, and it played a vital role in the movie.  Ripcord realized his piloting dreams and saved Washington DC from nanomite destruction thanks to expert piloting of the new Night Raven.

The RoC Night Raven debuted as the second largest & most expensive RoC toy, after the very large & $99 PIT.  Considered an "Echo" class vehicle, the RoC Night Raven retailed for $39.99 US (I dunno what it was in Canada).  This led to some criticism...the RoC Night Raven was about the same size as the Target Exclusive Rattler and Conquest X-30 but for $15 US more at retail.  Why were we being charged so much for this smaller jet?

Well, there's a few reasons.  This is a pretty badass jet, and it IS bigger than any of the other RoC vehicles, including the $24.99 US Bravo vehicles.  It has plenty of neat features, too.  The main feature of the RoC Night Raven is its electronic features.  There are three buttons on the left rear of the vehicle.  The first button when pressed emits the sound of a targeting lock.  If pressed again, the sound of a weapon firing is emitted.  The middle button makes three different sounds, each one sounding like a different sample of combined radio chatter.  The last button makes a sound like the Night Raven going to afterburners and then cruising off.  It should be noted that all of these sounds are augmented by red LEDs in the rear of the Night Raven lighting up and flashing in tune with the sound effects.  

There are a few other neat features, as well.  Placing your thumb or fingernail under a panel just aft of the cockpit on top of the plane and raising it allows the bottom part of the cockpit to lower, just like in the original Night Raven.  The landing gear on the underside of the plane can be lowered.  And in what is probably the biggest feature of the Night Raven, especially as a toy for kids, there is a handle underneath the plane that can be flipped down into a pistol grip.  Pulling the trigger fires a pair of missiles from the launchers on either side of the plane and triggers the firing sound effects.  Then, gripping the front part of the jet and "cocking" it like a shotgun cycles the missile launchers to ready the next round.  

While a nice vehicle, the Night Raven is far from perfect.  Complaint # 1 is about the aforementioned buttons.  They're highlighted by a silver-metallic finish on the left side, but the non-functional corresponding "buttons" on the right side rear of the Night Raven are NOT similarly highlighted, which looks kind of dumb.  The flip-down handle underneath the vehicle looks kind of goofy when flipped up, even if it is functional (especially considering the bright red trigger).  The Night Raven's rear (main) wings are both fragile and fall off easily.  And, in what is one of my biggest annoyances, the landing gear does NOT have rolling wheels.  

There is a figure included with the Night Raven, and he is a simple repaint of the 25th Anniversary Strato-Viper included with the Flak/Claw vehicle set.  He comes with no battle stand or weapon, like the rest of the first-wave RoC vehicle drivers.  And despite the silvery paint apps, compared to the regular Strato-Viper figures this guy's pretty bland.  While this figure is very appropriate considering that the original Strato-Viper was the original Night Raven's driver, he could be plenty more exciting.  

All in all, this is a very fun vehicle.  It looks nice, and the play features are great, especially for kids.  If you can get one of these for $20.00 CDN then by all means I must say get it.  While $40 would be a bit steep, $20 is a perfect price for this vehicle.  

Pics:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:32:14 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Review - RoC Night Raven
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »

I have not seen the night ravens on clearence where I live yet. Maybe I might pick one up for that price. It would be my first RoC vehicle. however seeing it compared to the original raven I'd rather have the original mold. I love mine, best aircraft in my opinion.

In your pictures it looks like the new raven handle doesn't fold up flush with the underside of the plane. Is it about the same exposed handle as the Thunderwing jet from the V vs. V days? How about a picture of the underside of the raven please.

Great job.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »

B, the handle DOES fold up flush to the rear of the plane, and in fact has a little exhaust port on the bottom of it that faces to the rear when folded.  But the big red trigger still sticks out.  I'll try to get a pic up soon.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »

I am always hesitant to buy planes. They have a big footprint without the troop-carrying capacity of a tank. However, they can be suspended, taking up virtical space. I think the RoC Night Raven is small enough that it can be suspended easily. I am strongly considering this one if I can find it for $20 locally.
Updated!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »

Thanks olyeller01 I'll definitely get one based on your review and the current price!
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!