JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review: 1990 Hurricane VTOL  (Read 2941 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review: 1990 Hurricane VTOL
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »

There were some of us out there who, for whatever reason...born too late, into other things, or just plain STUPID (I qualify on the last two)...missed what are considered the "golden" years of 3 3/4" Joe collecting ('82-'87 or '88, depending on who you ask).  Personally, my early '80s toy collecting was filled with Transformers, Voltron, Go-Bots, and Dukes of Hazzard.  I to this day don't know why...perhaps I thought Optimus & Megatron gave me such fulfillment I had no need for Hawk & Cobra Commander.  Perhaps it was because where I lived then, GI Joe only came on very early in the morning on weekdays.  Perhaps I really was just stupid (anyone who knows my missed Flagg opportunity story will probably raise their hands to that one).  

Anywhoo, I really didn't start getting into Joes until 1989, thanks both to the fact that Transformers flat sucked then and that one of my new friends had a lot of Joes.  I know some people groan at the thought of the vehicles released in the last few years (I remember having a LOT of fun with my neon green Badger and neon Orange Paralyzer, thank you very much...but gag me now) but there were some gems in the line, especially during 1989 & 90.

One of those gems, and one of my first big Cobra vehicles, was the Hurricane VTOL.  The Hurricane isn't quite as big as a lot of the other Joe planes.  It's about 2/3 the size of the SkyStriker, but lift the dark-tinted canopy and you'll still find space for two figures inside.  There are two sets of wings: smaller forward wings that sit just aft of the cockpit, and the large main wings that take up most of the rear of the plane.  The rear vertical stabilizers sit on top of the engines at the very rear of the plane and are attached together.  The horizontal surface that attaches the stabilizers has a slot to attach the small, winged "drone" that is included with the Hurricane.

The underside of the plane is fairly unremarkable, except for the spring loaded cannon on the front right underside of the plane.  Pull the cannon back with the small post, and it'll snap back forward in a firing motion.  There's a small air intake on the nose's underside in the center (the cannon sits next to it).  There's also a lot of hardpoints for the Hurricane's many missiles on the underside of the plane.  There are no retractable landing gear...small yellow plastic wheels (one in the very center of the plane's belly and the other two on the bottom rear tips of the engine fuselage) serve the Hurricane's needed ground movement.  

Besides the aforementioned cannon, the Hurricane is pretty heavily armed.  The Hurricane carries no less than 10 missiles.  Two are located on the ends of each of the small forward wings.  Three each sit under both rear wings, and two more attach to the plane's belly next to the engines.  The missiles can also be loaded into a slot on the front of the drone.  The drone has a spring in it, which will fire the missiles.  

There's a reason this plane has no retractable gear.  Grab either the rear wing or the rear stabilizers and twist to the plane's rear, and all four wings will tilt 90 degrees.  By doing this, the plane can take off completely vertically, using its powerful rear engines.  Once airborne, simply rotate the wings back towards the front for level flight.  When in VTOL takeoff mode, the plane has the appearance of being on stilts.  

This plane has a lot of nice scultping details.  There's plenty of panel lines sculpted into it, giving its skin a realistic look.  There are large vents at the top rear of the plane, presumably part of the VTOL system.  There's even a fuel-filler cap sculpted into the plane's top left side, next to the engines.  The main fuselage's underside is not as detailed, but what is there is still nice.  Both fore and aft wings have plenty of panels and lines in them on both top and bottom, which looks pretty realistic.

Complaints?  First, both the bright blue plastic used in the main body and the gray plastic used in the Hurricane's wings are pretty prone to yellowing.  Second, though it actually looks pretty nice given the color combo, bright yellow cannons, missiles, and exhaust ports don't exactly scream military.  The pilot sits at the rear of the cockpit, and his seat has plenty of panels and buttons around it...but not so for the co-pilot, whose seat is barren.  I guess he's just along for the ride?  Also, there are no detail stickers in the cockpit, which would have been really nice.  The plane looks kind of goofy in VTOL mode.  The plastic yellow wheels look crappy and scream cost-cutting measure.  And finally, you have to be VERY careful how you store the Hurricane.  If one of the wings, particularly the front wings, gets bent in any direction during storage, you'll have a wonderful time trying to get it bent back into place.  And in the meantime, your plane will look plenty goofy with three wings level and one at an angle.  Trust me, I know this one from experience: it took weeks of having my Hurricane's front left wing taped at an upward angle while the rear wings were weighted down (so they'd stay level) to get my Hurricane back in passable shape.  

It sounds like I have a lot of complaints about the Hurricane but I really like it.  I just try to list every possible complaint I think anyone could ever have about a vehicle when I review it.  I'm just waiting for the day someone PMs me and says "Because of your review I bought X vehicle but you forgot to mention Y about it and I don't like it."  But in reality the Hurricane is a very nice-looking, heavily armed plane.  

So are you thinking about one?  This is one of the more popular '90s vehicles and there weren't that many made, so the Hurricane is a lot rarer than say, the Rattler.  This means that a complete, non-yellowed one will set you back at least $50, and I've seen a lot go for closer to $100.  Also be aware that parts are pretty darned hard to come by.  I've been searching the web for one of the rear exhaust ports for six months now and I've only seen one.  IT was in an eBay auction with a few missiles, and just those few parts went for almost $20.  Considering that I have all my missiles, I passed.

All in all, the Hurricane is one of the gems of the later years, and worth having.  Though it has its flaws, it's still a pretty damned cool airplane and a fun toy...and isn't that what it's all about?

Pics:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:32:22 AM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review: 1990 Hurricane VTOL
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:39:17 AM »

And I would like to thank Ed for buying his a few years back.  The Hurricane VTOL is one of the most under rated/under appreciated vehicles out there. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »

Although  I see the uses of a VTOL jet I would have preferred this vehicle to be more along the standard retractable landing gear. At first glance I thought this was a tiny fighter but being able to put two figures in the cockpit gives it a bit bigger size then I expected. Tough for me to judge without something to compare it to. I think this should have been purely a one seater jet fighter. Looks crazy fast and maneuverable. Nice review.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »

B, here's some comparo shots with the SkyStriker.

OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »

Great review once again! I wish they will release the Sky-Striker again, I miss that Jet!
Lurking

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
And I would like to thank Ed for buying his a few years back.  The Hurricane VTOL is one of the most under rated/under appreciated vehicles out there. 

It is awesome, and one of the few regrets I've had as far as selling. So much so that I picked up another one :D
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.