JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review - Cobra BUGG  (Read 3270 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review - Cobra BUGG
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:53 AM »

1988 is decried by some Joe collectors as the year everything started falling apart.  The figures were not nearly as memorable as the early to mid 80’s figs, the Sunbow cartoon was off the air (to be replaced by the much less beloved DiC series the next year), Storm Shadow was now a member of GI Joe, and there were some flat out weird vehicles released.  But even though they were weird, there were still some good vehicles released, on both the Joe and Cobra side.  There’s another review out there already for my favorite weird 1988 Joe vehicle, the Mean Dog.  And now, it’s time for my favorite ’88 Cobra vehicle: the BUGG.

The BUGG is a large, heavily armed, 6 wheeled Cobra vehicle with some very, very neat features, even if it does look a bit strange.  It has a large figure carrying capacity and some extras that I think will blow you away, if you didn’t already know about them.  The BUGG’s three primary colors are teal green, neon yellow, and maroon.  That combination is enough to make the BUGG weird right off the bat, but it works here.  For the record, the main body is the teal blue-green, with most of the accents and access panels yellow, and the weapons maroon.  The BUGG looks like it was designed for a swampy, aquatic environment, and several features back this theory up.

One of the main reasons the BUGG looks so strange is because its front is asymmetrical.  On the front right side of the vehicle is a large sphere, which would appear to be the vehicle’s main control station.  The glass front on the sphere can be raised, giving access to the two-seat cockpit inside.  The front left side of the BUGG features a full glass front, with a twin bubble appearance (one high, one low).  A hatch on the left side can be raised, revealing seating for two figures in a stadium configuration.  After getting past the front, the BUGG becomes symmetrical at last.  In the upper middle of the vehicle on either side are large yellow access panels, which can be raised revealing a storage area (what’s stored here is one of the surprises I mentioned).  On either side of the body are two large…pontoons, perhaps? which have space and controls on top for a figure to lay on them.  The top rear of the vehicle features a clear bubble turret with a double-barreled cannon protruding from it.  The turret sits on top of another large yellow hatch, which can be raised from the center rear of the vehicle.  Raising the rear hatch reveals an area with seating for two figures on either side at the very rear, with a raised section for another figure to stand in the bubble turret. 

As mentioned before, the BUGG is very heavily armed.  Both front sections feature a double-barreled chin turret (the guns are not shown in my pics).  On top of the BUGG just behind the front section are two large maroon cannons, one on each side.  The BUGG holds four trident-tipped black missiles, two on the front left section’s access hatch, and one each on the side of the pontoons.  Also, slung underneath the pontoons are two very large black and maroon torpedoes, one on each side.  Then, there is the aforementioned double-barreled cannon in the bubble turret.  So the BUGG has a serious bite!

Now on to all those neat features I’ve been teasing you with.  The sphere section on the BUGG’s front right side can separate from the rest of the vehicle.  It’s actually a submersible, with twin rudders for control and fans on the rear for propulsion.  And in the previously mentioned twin storage compartments sit two jetskis, each one armed with two small missiles!  They have a peg for a figure’s foot on the rear corner, and the top section of them rises up so the figure can have something to control the jetski with. 

There’s not a lot to complain about with the BUGG.  Yes, it’s ugly, but that’s part of its charm.  A lot of folks won’t like the colors, particularly the neon yellow, but those colors actually work really well on this vehicle.  The only big complaint I have is that the chin turrets are very fragile (which is why they’re not pictured).  If you push the BUGG across carpet, be careful with those chin turrets!  It is very easy for them to droop, jam in the carpet, and SNAP!  Bye-bye barrel.  And because it’s one of the later vehicles, parts aren’t that plentiful…particularly not the chin turrets!  This vehicle also includes very few stickers, though what’s there accent it nicely.  Just know that if you love restickering vehicles, like I do, the BUGG’s not gonna take you very long.

I flat love the BUGG.  It’s large, well-armed, has all kinds of neat features and accessories, and can hold a whopping 9 figures (two in the submersible, 2 in the other front section, one on each pontoon, and three in the rear section).  I’d love it even if the spherical submersible DIDN’T detach, but that just makes the vehicle even neater and adds a lot more play value. 

If you want one, you may have to fork out some cash.  I’ve seen people want ridiculous amounts for them online, some higher than $150.  I was lucky and managed to snag mine for a cool $50 (one barrel on one chin turret was broken).  So, as usual, getting this vehicle will be determined by how much you’re willing to pay.  But I think it’s definitely worth $50, and I didn’t even flinch at that amount.  I just hope the rest of you are as lucky or luckier than I was!

The BUGG is one strange-looking, but very neat Cobra vehicle that will hold its own against any other GI Joe vehicle.  Lots of play value here, and definitely worth a look.

Pics:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review - Cobra BUGG
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »

it looks way better from your pictures then it did on the old pamphlets that you used to get. Re-do the colours and you might have me sold, but neon...oh late 80's/early 90's so young, so stupid. What were we thinking.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »

I had and loved my BUGG, but not as much as I loved the hover seadoos it came with. Those were perfect mini vehicles that I played with as often as I could.
Updated!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »

Excellent review, the vintage vehicles are so much better then the ROC that we have now.
Lurking

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Excellent review, the vintage vehicles are so much better then the ROC that we have now.

This is so true..

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »

I love this thing.  Don't have one.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »

The BUGG and the Hammerhead are my 2 favourite vehicles, simply for the outstanding amount of play value.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
The BUGG and the Hammerhead are my 2 favourite vehicles, simply for the outstanding amount of play value.

I have repro stickers on the way from J Ruben for the Hammerhead (yes, he has those now) so expect a review of it once I get 'em and get em restickered. 
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!