JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Figure Review - TRU Exclusive Arctic Threat Shipwreck  (Read 4091 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Figure Review - TRU Exclusive Arctic Threat Shipwreck
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »

What better way to celebrate our new Reviews section than with a couple of brand new reviews on some pretty darned new and exclusive Joe toys.  First up is the Toys R Us Exclusive Arctic Threat Shipwreck.  Honestly I'm surprised that we haven't seen more Joes in cold-weather gear, considering that the final scenes of Rise of Cobra took place in the Arctic.  So far, Hasbro has given us one rather nice TRU-exclusive Arctic Threat figure made from a mishmash of parts, and now we get another.  

Shipwreck is not anywhere close to as gaudily colored as Arctic Threat Doc is.  Instead of orange, red, and yellow, we get a color scheme similar to Arctic Assault Snake Eyes earlier in the RoC line.  Off-white, gray, and brown is the color scheme here.  For parts, Shipwreck uses the torso from one of the Reactive Impact Armor figures.  The legs are from the RoC Ice Viper, and the arms are from the previously mentioned Arctic Assault Snake Eyes.  The head, of course, is from RoC Shipwreck.  

AT Shipwreck has a mishmash of parts for gear as well.  He has 25th Anniversary Snow Serpent's snowshoes & Pit Commando's backpack.  The pike from the Crimson Neo-Viper gives our favorite Joe sailor both a weapon and something to help him hike through the snow.  He also comes armed with...a somewhat interesting choice...the M1 Garand that was originally included with the 25th comic two-pack Crimson Guard.  And of course, where would Shipwreck be without his faithful parrot Polly?  Shipwreck's overcoat looks like a modified version of the one included with AA SE (no hood).

There's some great paint apps here.  The backpack looks suitably weathered & frosted.  Shipwreck's beanie looks frosted over.  And, one of the best paint apps of any Joe figure ever: AT Shipwreck has frost in his beard!

I only have three complaints with this figure.  The first is that I got spoiled with Arctic Assault Snake Eyes.  I was very pleased that Hasbro decided to carry his camo pattern over to the figure's torso under the heavy coat.  They failed to do so with this figure.  Second, don't get me wrong, I love M1 Garands...but I don't really think they belong with RoC figures.  And finally, there's no way to attach Polly to Shipwreck...and I don't think a bird whose natural habitat is the rainforest would be too happy in the ice.

All in all, I really like this figure.  Hasbro has gotten VERY good at making great figures from off-the-shelf-parts.  If you're not a Shipwreck fan, you see this as a shameful money grab, or you're sick of Arctic figures, then by all means give this guy a pass.  But in my opinion he's definitely worth a look.

Pics:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:43:46 AM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Review - TRU Exclusive Arctic Threat Shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »

I really like the look of this figure.  The frost/snow on the beard is a real nice touch. 

Too bad he has those tree trunks for legs and Polly can't perch onto any of his gear. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »

How well does he fit in the ROC Ice Dagger?

Because I want to use him as a ROC Shipwreck, but not if he can't fit in the vehicle I want him to drive.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »

Any sightings in Canada?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »

I'm a HUGE fan of Shipwreck and I love this figure, he reminds me a bit of Battlecorps Frostbite. Another great review by Olyeller. As to Polly, I'm pretty sure he knew he wouldn't survive the extreme cold so he probably jumped into that big backpack of his... :)
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
I'm a HUGE fan of Shipwreck and I love this figure, he reminds me a bit of Battlecorps Frostbite. Another great review by Olyeller. As to Polly, I'm pretty sure he knew he wouldn't survive the extreme cold so he probably jumped into that big backpack of his... :)

nope, looking at the  first picture, you can clearly see Polly never made it, he's frozen on the ground with his wings spread out. Ah well, I never really cared about the parrott. Looks like Shippy is going seal hunting.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:27:59 AM »

Jay, after trying, Shipwreck is waayyyy too bulky to fit into the Ice Dagger.  Even with his outer coat removed, his big fat legs prevent him from going in the cockpit. 
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
Jay, after trying, Shipwreck is waayyyy too bulky to fit into the Ice Dagger.  Even with his outer coat removed, his big fat legs prevent him from going in the cockpit. 
Well phooey. The actual included Frostbite can't fit in well either, because he's too tall... his head ends up smooshed against the windshield... so who's supposed to drive it? :(
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »

It takes some major maneuvering, but if you jack with him long enough, Frostbite will fit in there ok.  It's just really tough to get his legs into the proper position.  And once you finally get him in there, it's advisable not to remove him!
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

joss789

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

Thanks for the review.  As a fan of arctic figures, i will buy this figure!
www.canadianjoecon.com

THE LARGEST SELECTION OF JOE ITEMS IN CANADA!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »

Second, don't get me wrong, I love M1 Garands...but I don't really think they belong with RoC figures.
But why not? Rifles like that are in service use today so why not with a modern special forces unit?

I suspect the rifle is actually supposed to be the Lee Enfield #4 rifle, as used by the Canadian Rangers up to around 2007 or 2008--but my guess is that Hasbro did not have the exact sculpt for that rifle and so used the M1. It certainly looks close enough.
Hasbro has been known to draw from a LOT of obscure military research, and this does seem to fit a sort of Canadian Ranger reference.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:36:31 PM by ARROW »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »

Just read this review now. soory for the late post!  I loved that thye put frost on his beard!
Lurking