JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Figure Review: Jungle Assault Ripcord (& a bonus!)  (Read 3572 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Figure Review: Jungle Assault Ripcord (& a bonus!)
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »

They say patience is a virtue…and that was proven to me today.  I wanted Jungle Assault Ripcord from the moment I saw him.  He seemed like a great-looking figure in a realistic, geared-up modern outfit.  Though these figures were originally slated to appear much earlier, they are just now starting to show up on retail shelves…around here, anyway.  I had a few opportunities to get this figure earlier, online, at greatly increased prices…but I figured I’d wait.  Sure enough, tonight during a trip to a local Wal-Mart, I was very pleasantly surprised to find Jungle Assault Ripcord nestled in with the very few other Joes they had on the shelf…which was all Wave 2 stuff!  And even better…I got him for just $5 US!

Anyway, you all are here for my review, not to hear me brag about my good fortune.  Jungle Assault Ripcord is built using the legs from the Pit Commando, and the arms from “Desert Ambush” Duke.  The head is the standard RoC Ripcord head.  The torso is from one of the many Reactive Impact Armor figures.  The figure is painted in a very nice, very jungle-appropriate brown, black, and green camo scheme. 

Ripcord comes with a pretty good selection of gear.  His head wears a repainted version of the Pit Commando’s bush hat.  More Pit Commando gear is included; Ripcord is wearing the vest included with PC, but now it has some very nice painted green accents, which really set the vest off.  JAR comes well armed, too.  First is an assault rifle that is very similar to the gold one included with the 1992 Headman.  Up next is a very nice, well-outfitted automatic pistol, equipped with a silencer, scope, and buttstock.  Then comes a very nice assault rifle equipped with a grenade launcher and a drum magazine.  Not sure, but I think it’s a new piece.  For hacking through the jungle, there’s a machete, the same one that has already been included with several other RoC figures.  There is of course the standard Big Freaking Stupid Launcher, which I try to ignore.

There is one very, very nice detail that I must mention.  I was initially annoyed with this figure, because I hate when Hasbro cheapens out and does not apply camouflage or other paint apps to a figure’s torso because the torso is hidden beneath a vest or jacket, like on Desert Assault Duke and as noted in my review yesterday of Arctic Threat Shipwreck.  Glimpsing the black under Ripcord’s vest, I thought that Hasbro had done it again.  When I removed the vest, I was very pleasantly surprised.  Instead of an unpainted torso, I was blown away by what was underneath: a fully detailed, Reactive Impact Armor vest.  Consider it a bulletproof vest beneath the Pit Commando’s armored vest, double protection.  There are jungle camo paint details around the edges of the vest, setting it off further. 

While this is a very nice figure, I have a few complaints.  I really hate the Desert Assault Duke hands…while they work great for holding an assault rifle at a ready position, they don’t work too well for much else.  You really have to mash the bush hat down on Ripcord’s head to get it to stay on, and even then it only stays on tentatively.  And I wish they had skipped the BFSL and included a backpack…ya know, Ripcord might need one when he goes for his long walk through the jungle.
 All in all, I think this is a very good, worthwhile figure.  The Reactive Impact Armor vest really impressed me, and I like this figure’s look very much.  The big complaint, the stupid hands, would probably be very easy to swap out for some better ones, too.

My trip netted another Joe score.  This one was olive drab, came in size XXL for my 6’4” 245 lb-self, and cost me a whopping US $9.50.  That’s right, I found a GI Joe t-shirt at Wal-Mart.  It’s beautifully old-school, emblazoned with the ‘80’s Joe logo.  I plan on wearing it proudly. 

Pics:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Review: Jungle Assault Ripcord (& a bonus!)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »

I liked the look of this figure too.  Just haven't had the heart to open him.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »

I finally picked one up last week as well.

The one thing that bugs me about G.I.Joe toys is when they have too much gear. I want him to hold everything he comes with. So if you look at the inside of the vest you'll see that behind the pouches the vest indents a bit. I took a craft knife and make a small slit in the top pouch. I can now store the knife in the back pack.

I also used the elastic band that came with the figure and attached the extra gun to his left leg.

Now he can hold everything.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »

Definitely love the design of this figure and I share your gripes about the hands.
When I got mine and turned him into Stalker via a Mace Windu head, I also took the time to put Mace Windu's hands on him as well.

Just a quick note, the weapon you described as an assault rifle with an ammo drum is, in actuality, a full-automatic shotgun.
That deserves mention, because it's a full-automatic shotgun, and that's awesome.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
Definitely love the design of this figure and I share your gripes about the hands.
When I got mine and turned him into Stalker via a Mace Windu head, I also took the time to put Mace Windu's hands on him as well.

Just a quick note, the weapon you described as an assault rifle with an ammo drum is, in actuality, a full-automatic shotgun.
That deserves mention, because it's a full-automatic shotgun, and that's awesome.
Hmmm-maybe I'll try a 25th Stalker head.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »

I wondered about that.  But I also wondered if there would be a shotgun with a grenade launcher attached.  I initially thought that it was an assault rifle with a shotgun attached and a drum magazine, but looking carefully at some of Marauder's offerings made me decide against that.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"

Hmmm-maybe I'll try a 25th Stalker head.

Did that myself just today. Neck is a touch short but still looks good.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I wondered about that.  But I also wondered if there would be a shotgun with a grenade launcher attached.  I initially thought that it was an assault rifle with a shotgun attached and a drum magazine, but looking carefully at some of Marauder's offerings made me decide against that.
I don't see why a shotgun can't have a grenade launcher mounted. Heavy Duty has a SAW with a grenade launcher mounted on it.

This is the model, by the way:
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh16-e.htm
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »

Another great review! Not sure how I missed this? ??? Keep up the good work. 
Lurking