JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: USS Flagg review  (Read 9850 times)

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
USS Flagg review
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »

USS Flagg review

While filming my USS Flagg review for Youtube (see account/channel formbx257) I took some pictures as well.  Seeing as olyeller01 stated that he wouldn’t do a review of this, I figured I’d give it a try!

The Flagg comes in a big BIG box (4 feet X 3 feet X 1 foot deep) and is quite flimsy for the weight of the toy inside.  Inside the box are… more boxes.  A big flat box with all the deck pieces and two tray boxes filled with the rest.

As you can see, some parts I’ve permanently assembled like the radar dishes and cannons but there are still close to 80 pieces for me to put together!

After an hours worth of careful assembly, the greatest action figure playset ever created is before my unworthy hands.  The only part that has any trouble fitting on is the admirals launch davit base.  This piece has both pegs and hooks that snap onto the deck side and needs to be put in by force (not a good thing for 25-year-old plastic).

Besides the enormous size of the aircraft carrier (7 feet 6 inches in length, 3 feet at its widest and 2 feet 5 inches tall), the Flagg came with wide range of features in various sections.
The tower has 6 rooms and 2 outer observation balconies (you could put about 12 figures inside before it starts to look crowded), a swiveling and elevating missile box with 6 missiles, a rotating net radar and a 9-piece nav/comm/radar antenna mast.

The assembled mast should look like this (the picture at Yojoe.com is not assembled correctly – they haven’t pressed the interlacing mast halves together fully).

On the deck there is the aforementioned davit base that lowers the simple looking admirals launch, a knob operated winch with removable engine cover, an arrestor rope for catching the included skyhook, a hydraulic blast shield and a bow ladder that leads to a radar dish nest.

I think you can put 3 Skystrikers on the deck comfortably: one landing, one taxiing and one ready for take-off.

The electronic sound system (bane of many collectors since this usually stops working due to various reasons) sounds like this: <!-- m -->http://www.klrtech.com/0gijoeflaggsounds.wav<!-- m -->
The metal fork on the speaker portion is supposed to hook onto a knob at the back of the tower (which I can’t show due to it being the only broken-off piece on my Flagg).

The Low Tow fuel tractor with its removable engine cover has a dual function: it can tow the fuel trailer or it can tow/taxi a Skystriker by putting its tow arm peg under the nose and into the screw hole (thanks to Jaimanstone of Yojoe.com forums and Wheelbreaker41 of Youtube for showing me this).

The fantail deck (that room at the stern of the Flagg) houses a cannon, a radar dish and has barely enough room for a figure to stand.  The fragile fantail rail is small and if you don’t have one, you’re not missing much.

The USS Flagg came with one figure: Keel-Haul, the admiral.  This figure looks more like a World War II destroyer captain than a carrier admiral, but that’s part of his charm.  It’s a shame his character wasn’t in the cartoon.  He came with a pistol (which I refuse to call a Walther PPK, because it’s NOT) that along with the fuel nozzles are the only pieces re-used for other Joe toys.

When people say, “They don’t make toys like THAT anymore”, it is especially true of the USS Flagg.  As an adult, I don’t even have to touch the playset; just looking at it assembled with a single Skystriker on its deck and I’m instantly 30 years younger!

The only bad thing about the USS Flagg? Putting it back into it’s box…
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:25:13 PM by formbx257 »
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: USS Flagg review
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »

Great Review! I'm glad someone reviewed the USS Flagg.  I'm so jealous that you have one and I will have to enjoy your pics for now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »

Great idea man, never seen a review of the flagg before.  Excellent photos.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

The only reason I haven't reviewed it is because I don't friggin' have it...and if I get it now, I won't have to because you did a great job, man.  I loved all your close-up shots on the details!

But great review man, and great pictures.  Dammit, you made me want one even more now!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:14:42 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »

The best toy ever.. you will never see that again! Thx for the review buddy.. and don't ever put that Killer WHALE in the water again.. alright??  ;D
I just got my Flagg stickers by mail (CobraStickers) and I can't believe the quality on that stuff! The price was high (110$) but it was worth it!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »

Great review - your clear & close up photos are what really made it.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:59:06 AM »

Something I will likely never have - partially due to cost, partially due to space concerns......

Great review though.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »

Thanks everybody!  It was a pleasure doing this for you all.  Hey, I earned my first Timbit!  Awesome!
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »

You deserved it.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »

great review, cant wait to get mine completed, man parts are harder to find then a compete one is, (at least the ones i need)
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »

fantastic pics and review, I preferred the Terrordrome as a kid (I still have mine) but now that Im older I appreciate the Flagg a lot more, wish I had one.  Do a Terrordrome review next please  ;D
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

roger dodger

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »

Awesome pictures and great review. I never knew the tow vehicle could be used to tow a Skystriker too. I'm lucky enough to have a nearly complete Flagg, but it's not assembled right now because it takes up too much space. Your pictures are the next best thing.
Here's a thought: has anybody ever thought to make a poster out of the Flagg box front? I don't have one, but I'd proudly display a poster of the box in my game room. Just a thought.