JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review - SkyStriker  (Read 6409 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review - SkyStriker
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »

The VF-1A Valkyrie.  The Thunderhawk.  Castle Grayskull.  The X-Wing fighter.  Quick, what do all of those items have in common?  Think of the Valkyrie, and you think of Robotech.  Think of the Thunderhawk, and you think of MASK.  Think of Castle Grayskull, and you think of He-Man, and of course the X-Wing brings to mind Star Wars.  Every one of the above items could be considered the iconic accessories of their associated toy lines, as in “that’s the first thing I think of when I hear that name.”  Well, the following is a review of what I consider to be the most iconic Joe vehicle of them all, and one of the greatest toys of all time.  Sure, there’s bigger out there.  There’s also more realistic, and more detailed.  However, I think the combination of size, detail, realism, playability, and overall fun factor make this vehicle tops.  I’m talking of course about the 1983 SkyStriker. 

The SkyStriker is of course based on the Grumman F-14 Tomcat Naval fighter jet, in service with the United States Navy from September of 1974 to September of 2006, a 32-year service history.  The F-14 is one of the most recognizable fighter jets in the world, even though it is no longer in service in the US (Iran, the only other nation to purchase F-14s, supposedly has about 20 of them still in service…they were purchased before the fall of the Shah when Iran was still a US ally).  One of the reasons it is such a well-known aircraft is that the F-14 is a featured aircraft in the movie Top Gun.  I often think that Hasbro really missed the boat on that one…though the SkyStriker had an almost unprecedented three-year production run (first released in 1983 and sold in ’84 and ’85) just think how many SkyStrikers would have been sold for Christmas ’86 after Top Gun came out.   

But I digress.  The SkyStriker is a fairly large Joe vehicle, measuring in right at 23” long, with a maximum 22” wingspan (wings fully extended) and sits about 6” high (measured from the ground to the top of the rear vertical stabilizer).  There is a two-person cockpit up front, with a lightly tinted canopy that can be raised and lowered.  Raising the canopy reveals the interior…up front, there is a small dash panel with various circles for gauges and a row of switches up top.  Also inside the cockpit are two black ejection seats, with posts to secure ARAH style Joes via their backpack holes.  The ejection seats are removable, and each has a deployable, working parachute attached to it.  While the parachutes technically work, I will tell you from experience they only work moderately well…don’t go throwing your favorite Joe off a windmill or something if you really want them to stay in one piece (ahem). 

Moving towards the rear along the airplane’s top, aft of the canopy, just in front of the wings on either side are removable panels.  Removing them reveals some aircraft machinery underneath so Joes can perform maintenance on the SkyStriker.  Between the wings, in the middle of the plane is a black, sliding switch.  Moving this switch all the way forward both raises the landing gear and sweeps the wings toward the rear of the plane.  Moving it backward lowers the gear and sweeps the wings all the way out.  While the big switch on top detracts from the realism somewhat, you have to admit that the swing-wing feature is pretty darn cool.  Behind the switch are the vertical stabilizers, which are angled outward at a slightly steeper angle than those on a real Tomcat.  At the very rear of the aircraft are the engines and afterburners, which just happen to be removable for an extra touch of realism. 

The underside of the SkyStriker is not quite as detailed as the top.  Most noticeable of course are the retractable landing gear.  Other than the gear, the most dominating feature of the SkyStriker’s underside is a large, centrally mounted, irremovable (at least by normal means) fuel tank.  Also on the underside are most of the weapons.  Though the SkyStriker is armed with a nose gun offset to the left of the nose, the rest of the armaments are carried beneath…and due to the swing-wing design, none of them are carried far out on the wings like on other aircraft.  One more note about the nose gun…the only known variation in the original SkyStriker comes in a grate just behind the nose gun…a SkyStriker can either come with or without the grate, mine has it…and I will tell you from experience that the stupid grate can make putting on the black-and-red sticker that runs around the cockpit a real pain in the patootie.   

Anyway, on to the rest of the weaponry.  Just behind the pilot’s seat on the plane’s underside sit two missiles…these missiles closely resemble the real AIM-9 series Sidewinder missiles.  Aft of the Sidewinders, but just in front of the rear gear on either side, sit two large missiles that bear a strong resemblance to the AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missile.  To the outside of the Mavericks, mounted under the wings just before the swing-wing sections start, are two more missiles…these bear a strong resemblance to the AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air missile.  So, as you can see, between six missiles and a nose gun the SkyStriker is pretty heavily armed.  It might not be as heavily armed as a Cobra Rattler, but the SkyStriker still packs a punch, and would be a lot faster and more maneuverable than a Rattler, VTOL or not. 

Complaints on the SkyStriker?  Considering that I consider this the most iconic Joe vehicle of all time, and one of the greatest Joe toys of all time, there aren’t many.  The first, most obvious one is that the SkyStriker’s plastic can be prone to yellowing.  I wish the cockpit and the underside of the plane had more detailing.  You have to be careful handling the plane, because the Sidewinders under the nose are prone to breakage and stress marks.  The little tab the spring attaches to on the rear gear covers can break off, meaning you have to push the covers closed.  I wish there was a way to hide the swing-wing switch, of course, and I wish there was a way to sweep the wings independent of the landing gear.  But other than that…

As for my argument on the SkyStriker being the Greatest Ever…I will present these exhibits.  First, I’ve always felt that Joe vehicles are at their best when they are representations of real vehicles.  The SkyStriker was really the first vehicle to do this, and along with the Rattler, really resembled a real aircraft the closest.  It’s just the right size for handling and playing…sure the Night Raven and Phantom X-19 are neat, but they’re kinda big to zoom around with while holding them with one hand.  The Thunderwing COULD have come close to the SkyStriker, but to me the slightly off and goofy proportions ruin the whole thing.  No other Joe aircraft has a swing-wing design, which I’ve always loved as a feature.  Sure, others out there may love the Rattler, Conquest, and Night Raven more…but none of those planes would have ever existed without the SkyStriker’s commercial success.  And finally, and most compellingly, the USS Flagg was designed to work with the SkyStriker, and the Flagg in my humble opinion looks pretty darn incomplete without a couple of SkyStrikers sitting on her flight deck.

If you want a SkyStriker, be ready to shell out some cash.  A complete one in excellent shape will easily cost $100 or more, and that’s not even including the very-hard-to-find parachutes.  You can get off a little cheaper if you buy and restore a crappy-looking one (which I did, thanks again to some J Ruben stickers) but not by much.   

I had really, really hoped for a reissue of the SkyStriker during the 25th Anniversary run, but alas, it was not to be.  I just KNOW if Hasbro would’ve re-released this jet, they would have sold a ton of them, even if the cost would have approached the $100 range.  And I was hoping in the movie that, to save money, the Joes would have been outfitted with retired (but technologically updated and restored) F-14s from the Navy.  It would have made a lot of sense, but apparently the Joes don’t have any jets that we know of…yet. 

So there you have it--my review of the SkyStriker, and my reasoning on why it’s the Greatest Joe Vehicle Ever.  There’s bigger, better detailed, more heavily armed, and even more expensive F-14s out there…but the SkyStriker will always be king in my book.

Pics:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review - SkyStriker
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »

Thx for another great review bro! I got my first Skystriker at this year's US Con for that price (100$). I just need some new stickers for it.. hehe!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:37:04 AM »

Great review as always.  I want one too....
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »

Yours is so white!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »

Absolutely fantastic review!  Somebody needs to ask Hasbro about bringing back the Skystriker at the next JoeCon Q&A.  India (Funskool) was making them in the mid-90's so the molds are out there.
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »

I picked up one of the skystrikers from India - the plastic feels cheaper, the colour is not 100% the same, but it looks great sitting beside my original Hasbro SkyStriker.

The only downside to ordering from india is it shipped to me in a potato sack sealed with red wax - major weird!

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »

great review, i just want to add, that their is a variant to the striker, the canopy actually came tinted ,and not tinted, depending how early you got it.

also olyeller, are you missing one of the parachutes? it looks that way in the picture.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "dodge822"
great review, i just want to add, that their is a variant to the striker, the canopy actually came tinted ,and not tinted, depending how early you got it.

also olyeller, are you missing one of the parachutes? it looks that way in the picture.

Missing a parachute, which I don't care about because 1. I stuff 25th figs in it anyway and 2. it's way too expensive for what it is and 3. it's not like gonna be ejecting my Joes from it anyway. 

I'm also missing the front landing gear cover but incidentally I finally found one this weekend.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »

what did you use to clean it? and where did you get your stickers from?
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »

The cockpit glass looks brand new. Awesome.
Great review too.  Loved the military research.

...but I have yet to meet anyone who prefers the Conquest to the Skystriker!!! 
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

Quote from: "dodge822"
what did you use to clean it? and where did you get your stickers from?

Honestly it was so freaking dirty when I got it that I think the layer of dirt kept the plastic from yellowing. 

Mike, to clean my vehicles I use a product called Dirtex from a company called Savogran, we have it at Sherwin-Williams.  Then I peel the old stickers off by hand and clean the residue with Goo-Gone, which not only takes the glue off, it seems to give the plastic a nice shine.   

Almost all of my stickers are from J Ruben, including the SkyStriker's.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"
The cockpit glass looks brand new. Awesome.
Great review too.  Loved the military research.

...but I have yet to meet anyone who prefers the Conquest to the Skystriker!!! 

I actually prefer the Conquest more than the Skystriker. As cool as the Tomcat is, I always thought the X-29 was cooler ( the forward-swept wing X-craft the Conquest was based off of), from the moment I laid eyes on it. Shades of fond memories of Thunderbird 2, I guess. The Skystriker is fine for a conventional look, but I've always gravitated towards the unusual looking vehicles.