JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Is it my fault or the dealers?  (Read 9006 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Is it my fault or the dealers?
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:50 PM »

So, i picked up a lot of the stuff at the Can Joe Con that I'm very happy with...that being said, I just discovered that two pieces that I bought are not what the dealer claimed. 

Bear in mind that although I am a big fan of the ARAH line, I do not have every figure and every accesory memorized.  When I ask a dealer if the figure is complete and he says "yes", I believe him.  If I ask if they are all original parts with no accessory pack stuff and he says "yes", I believe him.  In this case, I was lied to twice.  One figure was missing his backpack, and the other has a helmet that is not the original. 

Not much i can do about this now, as the dealer was from Quebec.  Just wondering if you think the dealer is at fault for misrepresenting, or should I be walking around with Bellamo's guide the whole time to ensure I don't get screwed?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Wherever you go, there you are.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Is it my fault or the dealers?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:51:07 PM »

Bellomo's guide is a must have when you're on the sales floor.. memory has it's limits!

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »

If I don't know and trust the dealer personally, I usually check the guide to make sure.  I always carry Bellomo's guide for vintage, and Ron Connor's guides for international and 97-06 with me in my pack when I'm shopping at a con. 

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »

Both at fault.  One, you should check, two, he shouldn't lie or at least shouldn't say yes if he wasn't sure.  Anything loose you really have to check yourself, its not like a sealed package where you know everything is in.  Bellomo's book is nice to walk around with.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »

Quote from: "Radio Guy"
So, i picked up a lot of the stuff at the Can Joe Con that I'm very happy with...that being said, I just discovered that two pieces that I bought are not what the dealer claimed. 

The dealer is the "expert" on the dealer floor. You are basing your purchase of off information that he is supplying you. THEREFORE, if the dealer told you something was complete, and it's not - then they should either send you the part that is missing, or refund it and you mail it back.

It's true, you should have an idea how complete something is when you're shopping at a convention - but the dealer should know his stuff and if he doesn't, then perhaps he shouldn't be selling the items in the first place.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

Bear in mind that although I am a big fan of the ARAH line, I do not have every figure and every accesory memorized.  When I ask a dealer if the figure is complete and he says "yes", I believe him.  If I ask if they are all original parts with no accessory pack stuff and he says "yes", I believe him.  In this case, I was lied to twice.  One figure was missing his backpack, and the other has a helmet that is not the original. 

Not much i can do about this now, as the dealer was from Quebec.  Just wondering if you think the dealer is at fault for misrepresenting, or should I be walking around with Bellamo's guide the whole time to ensure I don't get screwed?

The only dealer that I know from Quebec is a very competent collector himself...I wonder which dealer you are referring to. Can you provide additional info? Did he give you a business card? It is hard to believe it would be who I think it is but a misunderstanding is always possible, however twice? I'd say you have the right to think there is a reasonable doubt. PM me if you think I can help you.
2 + 2 = 22

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
Both at fault.  One, you should check, two, he shouldn't lie or at least shouldn't say yes if he wasn't sure.  Anything loose you really have to check yourself, its not like a sealed package where you know everything is in.  Bellomo's book is nice to walk around with.

WRONG. The dealer is no different than a car salesman, or a TV salesman. He's there to give you information about the item and to be honest and up front with you. If he wasn't, then it's not your fault that he lied.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"

WRONG. The dealer is no different than a car salesman, or a TV salesman. He's there to give you information about the item and to be honest and up front with you. If he wasn't, then it's not your fault that he lied.

I second the Mike. The dealer has the obligation:

1) to be knowledgable
2) to be honest

The buyer is always the victim when the dealer fails at one of the two.
2 + 2 = 22

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »

So if this happens in the future, is there a process in place to deal with this fraud I guess you would call it?  Are you able to black ball the dealer from future cons?
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"

The only dealer that I know from Quebec is a very competent collector himself...I wonder which dealer you are referring to. Can you provide additional info? Did he give you a business card? It is hard to believe it would be who I think it is but a misunderstanding is always possible, however twice? I'd say you have the right to think there is a reasonable doubt. PM me if you think I can help you.

when i noticed the first figure was missing the backpack, i was willing to give the benefit of the doubt that it was an error.  when the second figure had a helmet, but the wrong one, I felt that I had been scammed. i remember which dealer it was and will contact him to allow him the opportunity to make things right.  whatever the outcome, i will let people on the board know .

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »

And for those interested, it was a Python Patrol Copperhead that was missing the backpack, and a Tiger Force Bazooka that had the original green helmet instead of the TF brown helmet.  For both figures, I was assured that they were complete with all original accessories.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 12:37:46 AM »

So if this happens in the future, is there a process in place to deal with this fraud I guess you would call it?  Are you able to black ball the dealer from future cons?

I wouldn't do that (I don't know who it is anyway), but I would hope that if that dealer set up again, and didn't make things right with Radio Guy, that Radio Guy would warn you all about him.