JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review - TRU Exclusive Spirit Iron-Knife!  (Read 6901 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review - TRU Exclusive Spirit Iron-Knife!
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »

Figure Review – Spirit Iron-Knife (PoC TRU Exclusive)

Toys R Us has gotten some great GI Joe exclusives over the years.  From Night Force to the 3 ¾ inch relaunch in ’97 to the re-release of the Mobile Command Center to RoC Firefly, Barbecue, Bench-Press, and the Sting Raider, shopping at TRU has long been a necessity for hardcore Joe fans.  The list of TRU exclusives continues into the Pursuit of Cobra line with a pair of new figures, who also happen to be some longtime fan-favorites: Quick Kick and Spirit Iron-Knife.  

Spirit’s newest version makes him look much less like a stereotypical Native American than his 25th Anniversary version.  The new version is very much the badass jungle warrior.  He comes dressed in a light green sleeveless shirt, with long green, baggy BDU pants that stretch to the ankles.  The pants have that same odd dotted camouflage pattern on them that was on the Resolute Roadblock figure included with the Wal-Mart exclusive RoC Outpost Defender.  Strangely enough, Spirit has ONE kneepad, painted black.  There are also green wristpads and elbow pads as well as light gray fingerless gloves.  The elbowpads have designs on them…the right one has a tribal design and the left one has a red, Native American-style eagle design.  Completing the wardrobe is a large gray vest, which is loaded with pockets and includes a small, non-removable black pistol on the bottom left side.  

The figure’s head is finely detailed.  Spirit’s face definitely looks like he is of Native American heritage, and he has a stern, intense face.  Spirit has long, black hair that is held out of his eyes with a green headband, MUCH better than the pigtails on the 25th version.  There is also green camo/war paint under his eyes.  Trust me, it’s the detail, sculpting, and paint apps on the head that really make this figure one to behold.  

Spirit, like most of the PoC figures, comes loaded with gear.  Somewhat stereotypically, Spirit does come with a compound bow, quiver with arrows, and a tomahawk.  He also has an M-16 with underslung shotgun and a large machete for chopping through jungles.  Also included are two small, bright green snakes that closely resemble bamboo vipers.  There are a few interesting notes about the gear, particularly one of the arrows.  This arrow (which snaps onto the back of the quiver) is removable.  Not only does it have an actual, tiny nock on its rear (in case you feel inclined to string the bow with thread), the arrowhead will actually fit into the backpack holes on 25th/RoC/PoC/ figures so Spirit can shoot them in the back.

As for the rest of the gear, the compound bow is very nicely detailed, and the machete looks sufficiently nasty.  The M-16/shotgun combination is nicely detailed, but to me it just seems a little too big.  I much prefer the M-4/shotgun combo that Marauder Gun Runners has available.  Trust me, the weapon included with Spirit is very nice, but I just like the size of the M-4 and I think it would be a much less unwieldy weapon to use in the jungle.

This Spirit is a great figure, like pretty much every other PoC figure.  I do have a few complaints, like just about every other figure out there.  I’m not a big fan of the “dot” camo on the pants, I find the single kneepad very odd, and I wish the green and gray on the figure were darker shades.  The bamboo vipers are somewhat odd accessories, and I’m also going to trade the included M-16/shotgun with a Marauder M-4/shotgun.  These complaints are minimal however, and the figure is still plenty badass.  

Overall, PoC Spirit is an awesome figure.  This figure really brings the character of Spirit into the 21st century.  The figure also bears more than a passing resemblance to Sonny Landham’s character Billy Sole from Predator.  Give Spirit a different camo scheme, black facepaint instead of green, and a tied-up bush hat, and you’d have a Billy figure.  Seriously, just check out the resemblance, especially the weapon choice:

I can just see Hawk requesting Spirit to “fi-uhnd me a wayuh out of this hole.”

So, for all the reasons listed above and more, PoC Spirit is a must-have figure.  He’s pretty hard to find at TRU right now, though Internet prices aren’t unreasonable at around $15.  However, I would advise waiting, as just about every TRU exclusive has shown up in numbers eventually.  The initial wave of PoC has been pretty fantastic, and these first two TRU exclusives, particularly this one, leave me unable to wait for more!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:47:36 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Review - TRU Exclusive Spirit Iron-Knife!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:17 AM »

This is a great figure and I am very thankful Roshan snagged me one! ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

Great review... I can't wait for TRU to bring these up here!
Lurking

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

Nice, I dig the predator comparison pic.  I saw a post about using the little clear rubber band to string the bow, but I hadn't figured out how to do that yet.  The bow does have little guides on the pulleys and Hasbro has stated that they've included several "easter eggs" with the line.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »

gah!! man i'm starting to hate all these reviews about PoC figures because my resolve not to buy anything that isn't 25th style is starting to fade. That is a sweet figure and I love all the equipment, especially the bow.  I guess if I ever see these in store I'll find out how much resolve I have left. Nice review.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »

Quote from: "B"
gah!! man i'm starting to hate all these reviews about PoC figures because my resolve not to buy anything that isn't 25th style is starting to fade. That is a sweet figure and I love all the equipment, especially the bow.  I guess if I ever see these in store I'll find out how much resolve I have left. Nice review.

Give into the PoC side, B.  The new figures are pretty freaking amazing.  The sculpting and detail is incredible, and they come with an insane amount of gear.  Firefly, Beach Head, Duke, and the Alley Viper (even though he's a repaint) all look really amazing.  Snow Job & Storm Shadow aren't (to me) that great of figures, but they come with an INSANE amount of gear...enough so that the gear pretty much warrants their purchase anyway (Beach Head also comes with more guns than he could ever hope to carry).  The only disappointments are Cobra Commander (who is still a very nice looking figure...but I'm not crazy about the RoC version of CC) and Snake Eyes.  Snakes still looks very nice, but I'm really waiting for the version they're releasing in January with the swappable heads. 

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for Quick Kick...
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

I still have the Wolf Hound, CC, Snow Job, SS and QK on "card".  Everything else is open and beautiful!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"

Toywiz.com has Quick Kick for $18.99 if you want to pay the premium.
Lurking

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Quote from: "olyeller01"

Toywiz.com has Quick Kick for $18.99 if you want to pay the premium.

SmallJoes.com has him for $14.99.  I finally found Spirit at my local TRU the other day so I think I'll just keep checking it.  Like I mentioned in my review, all the TRU exclusives have shown up in quantity eventually, so I'll be patient...for now.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »

Quote from: "turner"
Nice, I dig the predator comparison pic.  I saw a post about using the little clear rubber band to string the bow, but I hadn't figured out how to do that yet.  The bow does have little guides on the pulleys and Hasbro has stated that they've included several "easter eggs" with the line.

Easter eggs? I must have missed that. Details please.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »

Here's a recent (July 2010) question and answer from Hasbro:  

"3) How does the upcoming alpha HISS Scout attach to the Hiss Tank V.5? I see gray clips and the sticker that says "Hiss Interlock" so I assume it attaches there. What is the purpose of this? Rather, what is the the thought behind this?

A) When designing the HISS v5 and the HISS Scout the designers worked together to have the Scout "towable" by the larger HISS v5. You'll notice the small grey clips at the back of the HISS v5. These clips can connect the the roll-cage bars on the HISS scout, right above where the pilot sits in the cockpit of the HISS Scout. The smaller HISS ends up hanging aft of the HISS v5, as if it is being "towed" in to the battle, or "towed" away. It is not a main feature, as the result of the two HISS vehicles connected together is rather, well, awkward looking. But, like many things in the POC line, interchangeability is key, and are features are hidden like Easter Eggs across the line. Congratulations on finding one of the Easter Eggs!"

Notice the last two sentences...  Interesting...

And the POC Snow Job's gear is designed to make a lean to (tent) even though I didn't know that until someone told me.  They should include directions for this stuff!  Another post indicated that parts from various POC figures could make a predator.  Specifics were firefly mask and a snake eyes torso (ninja action version I think it was) and lower arms were mentioned (might have been beach head, don't remember).  It sounded like they were designed to do that, but I'm not sure about that, not sure how close the firefly mask resembles the predator...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:14:37 AM by turner »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »

The Shadow Tracker figure has long hair to be used as the Predator's hairtenticles?
Lurking