JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review - SDCC Exclusive "TTT" Sgt. Slaughter!  (Read 4724 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review - SDCC Exclusive "TTT" Sgt. Slaughter!
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

Review – SDCC Exclusive Sgt. Slaughter
Triple T Version (Read 2nd)

If you haven’t read my review on the “USA” version of Sarge, stop and go read it first.  You’ll get the lowdown on the creation of these figures and where they came from, and I’m going to heavily reference that review in this one, so if you don’t read it first you’ll be wondering what the heck I’m talking about.  I’m reviewing the “Triple T” version of the figure.  This is a recreation of the Sgt. Slaughter figure that was included with the 1986 Triple T tank.  This is both a review and a comparo to the USA version of the Comic-Con exclusive, which is why I say read THAT review first!  Do as I order, or I’ll have Sarge haul you off to the Slaughterhouse!  Or, if you’re more Cobra-minded: THIS, I COMMAND!!

Just like the “USA” Sarge in his wrestling gear, this figure comes in his own protective, Hasbro designed plastic case, featuring a Joe star and Cobra sigil in each of the top corners, and the GI Joe logo embossed across the back.  There’s also a Comic-Con 2010 sticker in the top right corner of the bubble.  The two figures have different card art…the “Triple T” version features Sarge standing with his arms crossed and looking stern and mean with a baton in one hand, versus the “USA” version’s charging, grappling pose.  The rear of the card features a letter from Sarge in the card’s top half, and it’s the same letter from the “USA” version’s card.  The lower half of the card’s rear has the filecard, and besides art that matches the art on the card’s front, it is a word-for-word recreation of the filecard included with the ‘86 Triple T’s figure.  Hasbro did their homework and tried to differentiate the figures as much as possible, and having accurate-to-the-last-letter recreations of both original filecards was a nice touch.

As for the figure, Sarge is dressed in an olive drab DI hat, a plain black tank top, green gloves with black wristbands, black web belt with gold/bronze Marine Corps logo buckle, green camo cargo pants, and black combat boots.  Like the USA version, Sarge’s right wrist contains an extra point of articulation, allowing the wrist to bend forwards and backwards realistically.  Unlike the USA version though, the joint isn’t as well disguised, as the joint is black while the rest of the glove around it is green.  It’s hardly noticeable, but it’s still noticeable, unlike on the USA version. 

For accessories, Triple T Sarge comes with the same whistle and baton as the other figure.  However, instead of a wrestling championship belt and a microphone, this figure comes with a heavy machine gun and a snub-nosed revolver.  Both of these weapons were originally seen with Tunnel Rat in the Resolute comic pack with Storm Shadow, and were more recently seen included with the Defense of Cobra Island Range Viper.  The machine gun doesn’t have an ammo belt, but it looks fine without it…and you can always steal the belt from Range Viper if you want Sarge to sling an ammo belt across his shoulder while blasting away.   I dig the weapons, especially the heavy machine gun…it just seems to really fit Sarge.  Don’t get me wrong, you could outfit the USA Sarge with leftover weapons from any number of previous Joes, even the same weapons…but to me, the Triple T version just looks better holding guns.

There’s one key to the Triple T version of Sgt. Slaughter that I think makes him the better of the two figures.  The construction of the two exclusives is identical in just about every way…except the legs.  The Triple T version’s legs are both beefier looking and slightly longer.  They’re only longer by a few millimeters, but it’s amazing what a difference those few millimeters make.  The legs look more in proportion to Sarge’s upper body than the USA version, and the extra height gives him a more commanding presence as a figure.  The only way to really notice the difference is to get the two figures side by side, but I cannot stress enough how much of a difference those millimeters make.  The other key element that makes the Triple T version look nicer is the lack of the USA logo across the split in the chest.  It also makes Triple T Sarge more poseable because you can twist his torso without him looking goofy.

One other note: Triple T Slaughter looks really, really good when you actually put him in the Triple T.  Sure, his head and hat stick up above the top of the seat a little bit, but I still think he looks great in there.  Besides, Sarge is supposed to be big.  Why not make him a little bigger than his own tank?  He also goes in and out of the seat with absolutely no problem, which is a lot more than can be said than trying to fit most 25th style figures into original-line vehicles.

Bottom line?  Both are great figures, and great exclusives, but the Triple T version is the version of Sgt. Slaughter to have.  Naturally, the Triple T version is also the rarer of the two, and will cost you more money…anywhere from a $10-30 premium over the USA version, with most of the Triple T Sarges hovering around $50.  That’s pretty expensive for a single figure, but if you have to have a 25th-style Sgt. Slaughter in your collection, the $50 will be worth it to you.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Review - SDCC Exclusive "TTT" Sgt. Slaughter!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »

yup the better of the two for sure, but I'll still pass. Just like in this months newsletter comic looks like the sarge has hit up too many timbits. How many instructors does the joe team need? I like that  you revieweed them both at the same time. Good job.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »

I'm so glad you put them side by side, what a difference.  I'm so glad I have set.
Lurking

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »

Yeah, that was the first time I've seen them side by side out of the package like that.  I still prefer the usa version.  I just don't like the ankles and feet on the triple T version.  Nice shots with the Triple T tank!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »

Good review, I got the sarges on card right now, waiting for my next set to open.  Good to know what to expect.  Thanks.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

Yup, this version is way superior than the wrestling, USA, mail-away version!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »

I could have sworn the USA one was taller, but the side-by-side doesn't lie.
Updated!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
I could have sworn the USA one was taller, but the side-by-side doesn't lie.

Yeah me too, I was 100% sure that the USA version was taller than the other!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »

I thought they were the same size?  Who knew? Pics do not lie... well maybe...
Lurking

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I thought they were the same size?  Who knew? Pics do not lie... well maybe...

Tape measure doesn't lie either.  TTT Sarge is just under 1/16th of an inch taller than USA Sarge. 
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »

Nice review, Olyeller!  About that new wrist joint, is this the first figure they've used it on?  I think there's now one on the new POC Jungle Viper.  I don't think this version needed the "smack-talk pointing" hand, though.
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:33 AM »

Quote from: "formbx257"
Nice review, Olyeller!  About that new wrist joint, is this the first figure they've used it on?  I think there's now one on the new POC Jungle Viper.  I don't think this version needed the "smack-talk pointing" hand, though.

First I've heard. I'm interested in seeing how well the wrist joint holds up to repeated use.