JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review - Armor Bot!  (Read 7618 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review - Armor Bot!
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »

Review – Armor Bot

The Highs:
1.  It’s friggin’ huge!
2.  Neat play features
3.  Heavily armed

The Lows:
1.  Not enough missiles to fill the spots for them
2.  Not a lot of articulation
3.  Electronic voice sounds are extremely corny

The Verdict:  Not a must have, but a nice piece for the price.

Well, since I’ve been in a Joe mech-reviewing mood this week, I figured I’d finish it up with a review of the granddaddy mech of them all…the 1993 GI Joe Armor Bot.  In the last years of the original line, Hasbro tried plenty of sub-teams to try and breathe some life back in the line and recapture that mid-80’s success.  Ninja Force, Eco-Warriors, Drug Elimination Force, Star Brigade…a lot of these teams are heavily derided by hardcore Joe fans, but every now and then, we’d still get some nice toys out of them.  The Armor Bot is one of them.  Hasbro also had a tradition of releasing one or two really big toys each year.  The General, Terror-Drome, Defiant, Rolling Thunder, and of course the mighty Flagg were all examples of this.  The Armor Bot was the last of the big Joe toys in the original line. 

The first thing you notice about the Armor Bot is that the thing is frigging huge.  It stands over a foot-and-a-half tall (almost 2 feet if you count the antennae) and the arms make it about a foot wide.  The body is primarily white, with the left arm, waist, cockpit canopy, and laser cannon all black, the rest of the weaponry blue, and the toy’s accents gold.  These colors aren’t too military, but considering this is supposed to be a sci-fi, space-faring toy, I’m not going to knock it for the color choices.  The feet are fused together, but have wheels in them so the Armor Bot can roll around easily.  The legs are setup in a reversed knee configuration, similar to the PoC Deviant or the Star Wars AT-ST “Chicken Walker.”  The right arm is a six barreled missile launcher, and the left arm is a giant, spring-loaded claw.  The head contains a two-seater cockpit, accessed by flipping up the forward “face” plate.  The Armor Bot has articulation in the hips, shoulders, waist, neck, and at the wrist of the arm with the claw.  It’s decently articulated, but not tremendously.  I wish the legs were more articulated and could be moved independent of each other.  There’s also a large handle on the back of the Armor Bot for easy transport and handling during play.  The handle’s kind of awkward-looking, but it doesn’t look too bad. 

The big Armor Bot also has BIG firepower.  As previously mentioned, the right arm is a giant, six-barreled missile launcher.  Pushing down a black, spring-loaded tab near the arm’s elbow fires a missile and cycles the gun to the next missile.  It works well, but I worry about the long-term durability of that tab, as I can see it breaking.  Besides the fact that the right arm is just a giant missile launcher, there’s plenty of other armament as well.  The feet contain four spots for missile storage, and the chest has spots for a whopping eight.  The only problem is that the Armor Bot doesn’t come with enough missiles to fill all the spots.  If you unload the launcher on the arm, you can, but otherwise you’re limited to having six in the launcher and six on the chest, which looks kind of goofy.  Also, if you put the missiles in the spots on the feet, they stick out way too far.  I ended up buying two more missiles off eBay so that I could have a fully loaded arm and all 8 spots in the chest filled. 

There are still more weapons here, though.  The AB’s “chin” has a large, black laser cannon attached to it, which can be rotated from side to side and raised up and down.  The right side of the head/cockpit has both a single and double-barreled cannon, and a large quad-barreled cannon dominates the left side of the head.  All three guns on the head can be moved up or down so they can engage targets individually.

There are other play features here, too.  The left arm has a spring-loaded claw that can easily grab a figure, or be used to tear off a piece of the vehicle.  In a somewhat strange feature, the three gold “fingers” can be pushed back and locked, and pushing a small button on top of them makes them spring forward.  I don’t know why this is here, because they don’t snap forward very far.  The “waist” section of the Armor Bot is really a battery box with a built-in speaker.  There are two buttons on the back of the box, accessed from the Armor Bot’s rear.  Pushing the right-hand button makes a laser firing sound, and a red light in the laser cannon on the Bot’s chin flashes in time to the sound.  The left button activates five voice commands, in a cheesy, robotic-sounding voice.  The Armor Bot says, in order, “Check Laser,” “Fire Laser,” “Check Armor,” “You’re dogmeat, Cobra!” and, in one of the cheesiest sounds to ever come out of a toy, “Let’s kick Bot!”  MAN, that is so cheesy it should be on a pizza!

The Armor Bot’s huge and it’s got some neat features, but it’s far from perfect. Besides the lack of enough missiles, lack of articulation, and the corny-assed sounds, there are a few other problems.  I don’t like the orange hose that runs from the back of the Armor BotThe stickers are kind of fragile, and they’re those crappy old paper ones.  When I was applying them, several of them had some colors smear.  Fortunately, CobraStickers has replacements available, but they’re a whopping $15 a set.  Finally, there are two platforms on each foot with space for figures…but why would any Joes want to ride on the robot’s feet? 

The Armor Bot is a massive toy, but it won’t cost you massive bucks.  You can still find these, MIB, from around $50-80 depending on where you look.  I believe that a large amount of these were clearanced out when the original Joe line went down the tubes, and collectors took advantage back then by snapping them up for next to nothing.  I personally remember a ton of these on the clearance aisles at Wal-Mart and Kay Bee Toys. That’s why MIB examples aren’t exactly rare.  If you want a loose Armor Bot, plan on paying around $25-30, though you might be surprised how reasonably you can get one off eBay…not counting shipping, of course.  All in all, the Armor Bot isn’t one of those must-have giant Joe toys…but it’s not bad for the price!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:46:53 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review - Armor Bot!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »

Let me know what you think of my high/low/verdict format, guys.  I stole a page out of Car and Driver with that one, but I'm undecided on whether I like it or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »

I liked how you set up this review.  Now I know about this Armor Bot, thanks for the review.
Lurking

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
It stands over [s:xakvb9lr]a foot-and-a-half[/s:xakvb9lr] 44,5 cm tall (almost [s:xakvb9lr]2 feet[/s:xakvb9lr] 61 cm if you count the antenna) and the arms make it [s:xakvb9lr]about[/s:xakvb9lr] aboot [s:xakvb9lr]a foot wide[/s:xakvb9lr] 30,5 cm.

Fixed that for you  :wink:

Thanks for that review... I didn't know it even exist!  :o

Martin

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
It stands over [s:ln1v0qiq]a foot-and-a-half[/s:ln1v0qiq] 44,5 cm tall (almost [s:ln1v0qiq]2 feet[/s:ln1v0qiq] 61 cm if you count the antenna) and the arms make it [s:ln1v0qiq]about[/s:ln1v0qiq] aboot [s:ln1v0qiq]a foot wide[/s:ln1v0qiq] 30,5 cm.

Fixed that for you  :wink:

Thanks for that review... I didn't know it even exist!  :o

Martin

Actually Martin, I'd love to do my measurements in metric instead of American standard.  Unfortunately my tape measure only measures in inches.  If you know where there's a conversion chart, I'd be more than happy to use it in the future!
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

Nice review again, olyeller!  I like the high/low verdict too.  Sadly, I remember seeing this sit on the shelves long after the figures disappeared from the pegs.  I've always loved mechs that accomodate figures but the non-moving chicken-walker legs were the deal-breaker for me.
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »

I was making a joke... but since you asked: 1 inch = 2,54 cm, so:
  • 6 inches = 15 cm
  • 1 foot = 30,5 cm
  • 2 feet = 61 cm

... and 100 cm = 1 meter!

Martin

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
It stands over [s:vkl3271v]a foot-and-a-half[/s:vkl3271v] 44,5 cm tall (almost [s:vkl3271v]2 feet[/s:vkl3271v] 61 cm if you count the antenna) and the arms make it [s:vkl3271v]about[/s:vkl3271v] aboot [s:vkl3271v]a foot wide[/s:vkl3271v] 30,5 cm.

Fixed that for you  :wink:

Thanks for that review... I didn't know it even exist!  :o

Martin

Actually Martin, I'd love to do my measurements in metric instead of American standard.  Unfortunately my tape measure only measures in inches.  If you know where there's a conversion chart, I'd be more than happy to use it in the future!

Actually I think he was only kidding. "Aboot"? Yeah, like we say that all accross Canada  :lol:  :shifty:

It is safe to think that we can all do our own conversion ourselves. But just for the record, I use this site to convert just about any unit type: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

BTW, I used to have this huge robot. It is indeed freaking huge and fully functionnal. I loved the missile launcher guntlet, an awesome feature. And the claw, this actually reminded me of a Shogun warrior because of the wheels it had under the feet. I wonder if this was anticipated by Hasbro's toy designers...

Thanks for another great review Olyeller! P.S: So how's my Earthquake review coming along ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:05:18 AM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »

Thanks man, that was cool.  I love that thing.  Way cool.  Two seater cockpit, wow.  Stick to the inches.  Well, ok, whatever you wanna do!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »

Quote from: "turner"
Stick to the inches. 

This!!!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »

There was a variation on this item too.. I think the other version had the reversed colors (blue and gold)! I'm 100% sure but there's nothing on YoJoe 'bout that??

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"

Thanks for another great review Olyeller! P.S: So how's my Earthquake review coming along ;D

Well LJ, the whole problem is my Earthquake is buried WAY in the back of my closet.  And if you saw my Joe closet you'd know why that's a problem.  Imagine a walk in closet stacked almost to the ceiling with plastic tubs and playsets  ;D

However, I plan on ordering some more JRuben stickers in the very near future, so that'll give me an excuse to drag all my Joes out again so I can dig out what I need to sticker   :wink:
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!