JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: GIJCC Convention Set Revealed - Mission Brazil vs Python Patrol  (Read 21172 times)

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
Re: GIJCC Convention Set Revealed - Mission Brazil vs Python Patrol
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »

Initially, I was pretty stoked about this set, but after looking at the figs a few times, there is really nothing there that would intice me to drop $300 on the set. Especially since I am not a huge fan of the Python Patrol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Silent Dusty

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »

It's an OK set but definitely a pass for me.. I was a big fan of the old vintage o-ring sets.. that's my problem in fact!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »

It's discouraging that this is the first year the club reveals the whole set far in advance and it seems to have discouraged people more than anything. I'm not blaming the fans for that, it is a lackluster set made of fairly available parts, a mishmash of subteams done in two different ways, and expensive for tooling that is four years old tops. I just predict a return to the club's cloak and dagger routine next year.
Updated!

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
It's discouraging that this is the first year the club reveals the whole set far in advance and it seems to have discouraged people more than anything. I'm not blaming the fans for that, it is a lackluster set made of fairly available parts, a mishmash of subteams done in two different ways, and expensive for tooling that is four years old tops. I just predict a return to the club's cloak and dagger routine next year.

They always reveal the boxset figures in advance.  Not all at once, usually over the span of a few weeks.

I think it had more to do with the quick turn around from registration to show.  They apparently got a lot of complaints about opening up registration around Christmas and this was their way of giving the fans something to see over the season while pushing back registration.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

This set would've been great if the Club had taken the opportunity to add new ranks to Python Patrol or simply offering whatever wasn't offered in the 25th line.

Their reimaginings of the Brazil mission lack the impacting colour scheme that their ARAH counterpart characters had. I'm also wondering why they had to retake the same characters when there are so many characters out there that could've been excellent Brazil mission candidates. Sparta, is a good choice (it's an Argentinian gi joe character If I remember correctly). The only character I have no problems with is Claymore, because I think he looks like a great Protagonist next to Cobra de Aço.

Cobra de Aço is, how should I say, a very simple but very cool figure, and there's more beautiful nothing like another shiny chromed helmet character. He is from the Brazilian Commandos Em Açao line which works well with the idea, but it's the Python Patrol team that he's leading (or not) that I have problems with. Their logo is all over the box, which I like, but It built great expectations on my side for an interesting Python subset.

Only two different Python Army builders? A third could've saved this set, then again maybe not.
I have difficulty accepting why there are so many Python troopers in this set. A few updated laser Vipers would've been the best support IMO for Cobra de Aço or even some Saw Vipers... New concepts would've been welcome too, but I don't see anything fresh in this set.

My mainstream is obviously ARAH (o-ring figures) as many of you already know but when I see something that I personnally like in the 25th style, I'm always opened to the idea of having it in my collection. This set does not meet my personal standards for a great set. I'm not even interested to know if there's a cool story behind these, as the set lacks the initial aesthetics that would Wow me in the first place.

Definitive pass for me, and no regrets.
2 + 2 = 22

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
A few updated laser Vipers would've been the best support IMO for Cobra de Aço

Wow, best idea I've seen on the boards so far.. +1 for ya!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

I have to agree - I like the Joe Figures, but the Cobra figs are a let down - especially when you consider the price per figure. I already own 4 Python Trooper and TeleVipers - and I didn't pay more than $4 each.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »

as far as i'm concerned, there's only 2 good things in the set: Sparta with a new headsculpt and a non-frogman Wet Suit.

not that i'm bothered any how, cuz i despise the new look figures' articulation and i wouldn't pay HALF of what they ask for the sets at the cons.

i *might* get the comic. there's bound to be someone at BFTB going who will then do bulk purchasing for the UK fans.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

I just got this email from the Club regarding registration, they actually have the nerve to charge people a fee for registering this year.

The convention registration is now live online.  

You can use the link at GIJoeCon.com.  

Please read the brochure and FAQs before you register to avoid any mis-steps.  

Any cancellations or corrections may incur a fee.  Please click carefully.  

There is a $6 registration fee for use of the online system that will be charged at the end. This covers the expense of using the online system.

You can also download the registration forms and fax those in as well, but please note that there is a $25 administration handling fee if we do the registration for you.  

There is no registering by phone and if you mail in your form they will get to it when they can (when admin isn't busy)
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »

I know, what gives.... $6 to register online and $25 to register by fax? 
Lurking

roger dodger

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »

Shhhh! Don't give The Mike any ideas. LOL

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile