JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Post CanJoeCon 2011 appreciation thread  (Read 18024 times)

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Post CanJoeCon 2011 appreciation thread
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »

I didn't make it to the con but it sounds like fun was had by all. I've not seen a full rundown of the event, but from the snippets here and the whatsonjoemind podcast I've gotten a bit of a sense of how things were. Sounds like a couple of pretty good highlights. The only thing i noticed was the folks in line were rather disapointing based on the podcast. Granted I think it was 4am, but geeze, I thought there would have been more enthsiasm from folks. Perhaps the preorder took a little away from that with some of the die hards not needing to be in line, but at the same time, it sounds like the preorder worked beautifully. Definitely a good thing, I hope they continue it next year.

Sounds like the guests were really good hasbro canada stepped up really nicely with their presence. Anyways, thanks for the bits of info. Sounds like it was fun.

PS, it seems like the skystriker that someone won might be up on ebay.  :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »

The first few people in line were scalpers (OK - mostly likely scalpers or the nicest parents-big brothers ever).   Thank goodness there were a few true fans there.

And yeah - I have seen the Skystriker.  So much for it being a good thing that kids won the prizes (or at least some).
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"

And yeah - I have seen the Skystriker.  So much for it being a good thing that kids won the prizes (or at least some).

For some reason that really disappoints me. But then again, I'm having trouble believing that a kid would want to sell a Skystriker.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »

Quote from: "Jon S."

For some reason that really disappoints me. But then again, I'm having trouble believing that a kid would want to sell a Skystriker.

I hear that too.  "You know son, (we) could make some cash selling this on line...........
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:08 AM »

I usually don't have a problem with people putting the stuff they won or sets on ebay as people do need to make money to fund their own hobby, but it does leave a sour taste as I felt that the kid winning it was a feel good story.  If the father won it with his ticket and sold it I wouldn't have that feeling, but knowing it was in the hands of the kid and then taken away makes me feel sad as the kid seemed genuinely joyous...hopefully the father compensated the kid well.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
I usually don't have a problem with people putting the stuff they won or sets on ebay as people do need to make money to fund their own hobby, but it does leave a sour taste as I felt that the kid winning it was a feel good story.  If the father won it with his ticket and sold it I wouldn't have that feeling, but knowing it was in the hands of the kid and then taken away makes me feel sad as the kid seemed genuinely joyous...hopefully the father compensated the kid well.
I'd sooner of had seen Jon win it instead.

Yeah - it's a little heart-breaking.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »

The guy wrote on the listing "My son won it at a trade show and wants to sell it".  He could have had the descency and mention CanJoeCon in the listing.

It is a shame that a "real" G.I. Joe fan didn't win the Sky Striker.  I don't think it was Hasbro's intention to donate it, to wind up on Ebay a week later.

But a big thank you should to Hasbro for donating the Sky Striker.  It is a shame it had to end up on Ebay.  Hopefully the winning bid will greatly appreciate it.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"
The guy wrote on the listing "My son won it at a trade show and wants to sell it".  He could have had the descency and mention CanJoeCon in the listing.

It is a shame that a "real" G.I. Joe fan didn't win the Sky Striker.  I don't think it was Hasbro's intention to donate it, to wind up on Ebay a week later.

But a big thank you should to Hasbro for donating the Sky Striker.  It is a shame it had to end up on Ebay.  Hopefully the winning bid will greatly appreciate it.

Well, I just tell myself that one has only a limited supply of luck. Once that person runs out of luck, it's the other's turn to benefit.
2 + 2 = 22

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

I'd sooner have seen pdaat win it. ;)

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

I'd sooner have seen pdaat win it. ;)

Why thank you sir!  Where's that +1 Timbit button?

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »

Agreed.  So much for that good feel story.  I will have less sympathy for kids winning next year if this keeps up.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »

I like to thank everyone who was apart of this years con.

I have never seen sooooo many familiar faces and new faces to put with the code names.
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com