JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canadian retailers miss the boat "AGAIN"  (Read 2568 times)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canadian retailers miss the boat "AGAIN"
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

Although some new wave POC figures and a few 30th have found their way to Canada retailers ie TRU, they still don't get it.  The U.S. stores are already starting to "restock" 30th figs and vehicle.  Online retailers and comic shops (thank god for them) have the new waves and are selling fast.  So why yet again are Canadian retail chains asleep at the the wheel? 
I spoke to a lady at TRU last week about the 30th Skystriker to see if it was in stock once I realized I never ordered one from Hal and she looked it up in the computer; the computer showed it was renamed the Canadian version and TRU's in the States already had them in stock and were carrying it as the Skystriker.  She told me it was in the system for sure but won't be released until Christmas and at about $10 higher than the U.S. SRP 
By then the people meaning us collectors will already have one or two of them and guess what yet again they won't sell to expectations.

Here endith my rant!
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian retailers miss the boat "AGAIN"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »

I think you have to understand that this is normal.
Canadian toy retail is traditionally about 3 months behind the US on non-street-dated toys ( like most movie tie-in toys), and its been like this for decades now.
The internet spoils us, because we get the info all at the same time, so we see that the US is getting stuff........but toy retail doesn't operate that way.
 The largest orders ( re; US retail) tend to be filled first and smaller orders ( re; Canadian retail) follow. That 3 month lag is the time its taken to ship the orders to the US market. Its often the case that toys that shipp to US retail just before X-mas roll into Cdn retails stores the following March.
GIJOE DOES sell to expectations up here in Canada( and in the USA), but only at Christmas time. Its not a perennial brand, in that it sells year-round--its seasonal and this has vexed Hasbro for years now. But believe it that the Skystriker will sell out if it appears before X-mas..........even just a week before.

Yes, there's exceptions to this, as some items get mysteriously dumped into the Cdn retail system when they are not supposed to be. The Night Attack Copter sets were an example, as only a handful of cases were shipped and sold in Cdn TRU's in error--and were never destined for Canada at all.
The fact that your store rep confirmed they are in the system means we could get them just about any time in the later X-mas shopping season.
But we will get 'em.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

Yeah, that's why Hal is going to be getting more and more of my money.  ;)

But hey, Winners will probably be happy to sell them to us for $20 a jet in about 8 - 10 months. Maybe less.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

I agree with the sentiment. One thing to remember though is that production for the Canadian market usually comes later because of the fact that

A) The US is a much bigger consumer of Joes

B) Canadian packaging has to be translated, printed, etc.

C) Canadian retailers reset their planograms later in the year than US retailers

I'm sure there are other factors that come into play. We could probably discuss Hasbro's production difficulties this year (They had a very hard time finding factories in China to produce enough stock) as well as their constant distribution issues (although retailers share part of the blame).

OB

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »

By then the people meaning us collectors will already have one or two of them and guess what yet again they won't sell to expectations.

Here endith my rant!

I feel your pain... I totally agree. They missed the boat... Again! And, I don't have 1 or 2... I have 4!  ;D

Yeah, that's why Hal is going to be getting more and more of my money.  ;)

Me too!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »

November is when the Xmas reset comes, I'm sure we will be happy then
Lurking